How much playfield repetition can TPA stand?

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
I just had an idea... if Stern ever, EVER decided to release a non-licensed table but want one that would actually sell, they could totally do a Black Knight 3000. Get S. Ritchie on board

too late, he is already on stern's board

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I vote for variety. The Pinball Arcade should please many tastes. BK isn't played often on TPA (look at the leaderboards). So why should there be BK2000 (BK+lucky wheel and singing)?! Same happens with PinBot. Few really like it.

There could be some fantasy or a bowling table for something new.

BTW: CFTBL isn't particularly similar to MM, AFM and MB which share a similar layout and many rules. The latter three are popular enough to justify another entry.

Same what happens on Pinbot? It's one of the best tables ever made. It's not a copy or even similar to any other table currently in. I'm confused. Also the only thing I notice when I look at BK leaderboards is that there are a buttload of people with like 50 million+ scores and I have no idea how that happens.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I vote for variety. The Pinball Arcade should please many tastes. BK isn't played often on TPA (look at the leaderboards). So why should there be BK2000 (BK+lucky wheel and singing)?! Same happens with PinBot. Few really like it.

People will be all over BK2K once it comes out. The original Black Knight is not only regarded as one of the worst TPA conversions due to scripting/lack of emulation, but it's just lackluster in comparison to it's sequel. I am aware there are many fans of the original, but the later table is just more exciting and interesting all around even if the layout is basically the same. If you look at why so many enjoy 90s DMD machines over old EM machines (Just as an example - I know BK2K is not DMD), the major change was in presentation, the lighting, music, animation and so on. A lot of us are drawn to the lightshow. BK lacks that.

And people don't like PinBot?? since when? That's just cray cray.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
People will be all over BK2K once it comes out. The original Black Knight is not only regarded as one of the worst TPA conversions due to scripting/lack of emulation, but it's just lackluster in comparison to it's sequel. I am aware there are many fans of the original, but the later table is just more exciting and interesting all around even if the layout is basically the same. If you look at why so many enjoy 90s DMD machines over old EM machines (Just as an example - I know BK2K is not DMD), the major change was in presentation, the lighting, music, animation and so on. A lot of us are drawn to the lightshow. BK lacks that.

And people don't like PinBot?? since when? That's just cray cray.

Yes, I think when FS actually fixes BK it will make a lot of people happy. Of course there's people like me who wouldn't know better because they don't know the real table at all.

K

Korven

Same what happens on Pinbot? It's one of the best tables ever made. It's not a copy or even similar to any other table currently in. I'm confused. Also the only thing I notice when I look at BK leaderboards is that there are a buttload of people with like 50 million+ scores and I have no idea how that happens.

There is a rare scoring bug in BK, potentially allowing endless points.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I reached 53 million on BK, and started up a strategy thread over in the Black Knight forum. Short version: get multiball going all the time (very easy, just plunge at full strength and hold both upper flippers to get an easy lock shot) and keep completing the drop targets to earn extra balls more frequently than you drain them.

As for BK2000, that would be fully welcome and the presence of original BK wouldn't detract from it at all. They're totally different games from different eras, with no more commonalities in the gameplay than say Elvira and Scared Stiff.

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
They're totally different games from different eras, with no more commonalities in the gameplay

Hardly. They share the same 2 playfields and unsurprisingly the name (BK).

Elvira and Scared Stiff are really different, although some targets have the same name (boogie men and dead heads). Elvira has no Crate which is the dominating target in SS.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.