How to retain local scores and goals after Windows reinstall?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
So I finally moved up from XP to Windows 7. After installing Steam and TPA, naturally it doesn't have my wizard goals and other local stuff saved. Anyone know how to copy this over from a previous Windows installation?

The new Windows install is on a new hard drive and I have everything on the previous drive available.

Thanks!

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Somewhere in your default user folders.
On Win7 the path is C:\Users\(YourName)\My Games\Pinball Arcade

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Ok, I found it (on XP it was C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\My Games\Pinball Arcade) and copied it over, but TPA didn't seem to recognize it. I know I'm in the right place since if I delete the directory, TPA re-runs the configuration tool and re-creates a new Settings.ini file there. But it doesn't recognize the HighScores file and doesn't have the goals completed.

Any more ideas? Is that HighScores file keyed to a username or machine somehow?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Interesting, I thought you can backup stuff.
Maybe it has something to do with the new Steam Cloud feature and this thread can help you:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784

I'm guessing it's cause your steam cloud file is newer than the one you are trying to copy. Deleting your cloud copy and then copying your good save in should work. (just keep an extra backup of your good high score save)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
If it does not restore after a reinstall, what is the cloud copy good for then?

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
When cloud saving is enabled, Steam supposed to download whatever is in your cloud before you can launch the application. Was cloud saving disabled on the old installation of Steam?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I never heard of Steam cloud saving until this thread. (I don't use Steam very much.) I never enabled or disabled it before. It sounds like the easiest way to make this work. Tomorrow I'll try booting into the old XP install to see if that can get Steam cloud sync going. Thanks for the advice!

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
I recommend not using Steam Cloud on Pinball Arcade. I had it on, and logged in and played on a different computer - when I came back to my own PC I had lost everything, goals and high scores. I had to do the process described here to completely remove the cloud saves from both my computer and the Steam servers - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784

I then did a System Restore on the PA savefiles, which thankfully worked.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.