I'd Buy That Table - An Unofficial Poll

Which tables would you want to buy in TPA? Select as many as you'd like

• Total voters

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Ahh, I see.....well, the way Palmer said it was just weird:

wtf @ "only brits like Doctor Who" comment...

....since he quoted Gord and seemed to be saying "wtf" @ Gord directly.

Thanks for shedding some light on it, Bonzo.

Jose Olivera

Jun 2, 2013
As a fan of the British Sci Fi series, Doctor Who, I would definitely buy the Doctor Who table. I really hope you guys consider it. It seems that quite a few people want it as well.

twinturbo2

May 7, 2013
I'd love to see the car-related ones, like Corvette, Indy 500, and especially High Speed and The Getaway. Ended up voting for all of them, though.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
As a fan of the British Sci Fi series, Doctor Who, I would definitely buy the Doctor Who table. I really hope you guys consider it. It seems that quite a few people want it as well.

Considering the popularity of current Dr. Who, the table would be a hot seller on iOS.

twinturbo2

May 7, 2013
Considering the popularity of current Dr. Who, the table would be a hot seller on iOS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pinball only portrays the first five Doctors, and the popularity of the series in the US only exploded a few years ago.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
If only the Doctor Who licenses weren't an absolute nightmare...seven Doctors, some of whom are deceased; the Daleks (whose creator is legendarily difficult to deal with, to the point where it was doubtful even the new Doctor Who series would be able to use Daleks); and the BBC itself.

I fear Doctor Who would be a very expensive and difficult-to-obtain license...perhaps even more so than The Addams Family.

Also just so everyone knows, the real machine is incredibly evil - it makes Twilight Zone look like a cakewalk by comparison. Big center drain, lots of death shots, voracious outlanes, the short lightning flippers, and a multiball that is both hard to reach and hard to play. It even penalizes you by sending you back a stage if you lose the third ball!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pinball only portrays the first five Doctors, and the popularity of the series in the US only exploded a few years ago.
The first seven Doctors are featured on the machine.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Also just so everyone knows, the real machine is incredibly evil - it makes Twilight Zone look like a cakewalk by comparison. Big center drain, lots of death shots, voracious outlanes, the short lightning flippers, and a multiball that is both hard to reach and hard to play. It even penalizes you by sending you back a stage if you lose the third ball!
No doubt about that. I played the table a year ago and it didn't go so well for all the reasons stated above.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
If only the Doctor Who licenses weren't an absolute nightmare...seven Doctors, some of whom are deceased; the Daleks (whose creator is legendarily difficult to deal with, to the point where it was doubtful even the new Doctor Who series would be able to use Daleks); and the BBC itself.

I fear Doctor Who would be a very expensive and difficult-to-obtain license...perhaps even more so than The Addams Family.

The first seven Doctors are featured on the machine.

Not every licensed table needs to have everyone involved sign off on a derivative of that license. It all depends on the contract that they signed with the original license holder. Most American tv shows that expect to have licensed products have the principle actors sign a blanket merchandising contract. I would imagine that British shows do the same. Given the popularity of retro Doctor Who merch, I would think that the producers have already obtained licensing agreements from previous doctor actors.

Many of the new fans are going back and watching the old series also. Not to mention that there were Doctor Who clubs at my college in the states in the 80's. But back then they were geeks to the nth degree. Now geekdom is out of the closet and covered by pop media.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I love how DrWho, despite being quite a simple table has so many small things to do... Too bad about the licensing issue, if it's that complicated.

I love that table! Especially the sound effects :)

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
I wonder if FARSIGHT have approached the BBC about the Dr Who license, with the table currently in 4th place in the poll surely they will look in to it.

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
Not sure about this fascination with tables requiring licences, when their are so many awesome tables that don't require anywhere near the work to obtain.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Votes were trickling in (1 today), so I've decided to close the poll. Hope FarSight can use some of this info for future tables.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
oh hi guys sorry to cause confusion with my comment... I didn't mean to.. I was backing up Gord in thinking that line of reasoning was ridiculous...

I'm glad to see the support for Dr. Who on this forum.. Hopefully it makes Farsight look into it... I'd rather them look into it and find out it's impossible than for them not to even try...

RE: The table featuring doctors 1-7... 1-3 are dead and will have to deal with their estates, but their images are still in use in various media surrounding Doctor Who (novels, audio adventures, etc.) 4 I believe is retired and probably easy to get a deal with... 5-7 still do things currently with Doctor Who like playing their respective Doctors in Audio Adventures and the like... The Fifth even appeared with The Tenth on a charity short.

That being said, the 50th anniversary is soon and the modern show often features references and callbacks to the original so even fans who started watching with the modern Who are aware of its past and to make a long story short I think they would dig the pinball too.. :D

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
oh hi guys sorry to cause confusion with my comment... I didn't mean to.. I was backing up Gord in thinking that line of reasoning was ridiculous...

I'm glad to see the support for Dr. Who on this forum.. Hopefully it makes Farsight look into it... I'd rather them look into it and find out it's impossible than for them not to even try...

RE: The table featuring doctors 1-7... 1-3 are dead and will have to deal with their estates, but their images are still in use in various media surrounding Doctor Who (novels, audio adventures, etc.) 4 I believe is retired and probably easy to get a deal with... 5-7 still do things currently with Doctor Who like playing their respective Doctors in Audio Adventures and the like... The Fifth even appeared with The Tenth on a charity short.

That being said, the 50th anniversary is soon and the modern show often features references and callbacks to the original so even fans who started watching with the modern Who are aware of its past and to make a long story short I think they would dig the pinball too.. :D

Most likely they will not have to negotiate with individual parties. The individual actors are probably included in a blanket merchandising and licensing agreement. It just wouldn't be worth it to most actors to have to review contracts for every use of their likeness and voice. There are probably some ST:TNG actors that don't even know that they are in a pinball machine on The Pinball Arcade.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts