Initial Thoughts on PBA for Switch

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
I figured I make a forum for people to share their initial impressions for the Switch version of PBA. I've only played the free Tales of Arabian Nights table but so far I think it plays pretty well other than some studdering here and there (in handheld at least).

Besides gameplay, it seems interesting that they use the original UI. Also, I don't like the fact you can't purchase individual tables (so far at least).

All things aside, excited to have Pinball Arcade on Switch. I would be curious of anyone's thoughts who bought and played any of the other tables.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I've also only played TOTAN so far. That being said, it looks, sounds and plays nice. I didn't experience any stuttering in handheld mode.

It ticks me off that they still don't allow Wizard Goals to register if you had Standard Goals remaining when you started a game. I ended up doing all 10 Goals on game 1, but of course you only get credit for 5. Oh well, TOTAN's Goals are crazy easy anyway.

I like that they went with the old UI, personally.

The main menu Pinball Wizard music sounds fuzzy to me.

Overall, I like it. It's a huge step up from the Vita, for sure. This will be my new handheld preference for TPA.

xDagmaRx

Nov 5, 2016
I was just going to make a thread about this. After picking up Season 1 and playing through it for a while I ended picking up all the packs, and yes its over $200. From the tables I played (Banzai Run, Black Knight, Bride of Pinbot, Ghostbusters, Jack-Bot, Medieval Madness and Wold Cup Soccer) It all plays perfectly and I usually play on PC. Here are some Pros and Cons so far.

Pros
-Black Knight is emulated like all other versions
-Room and Bulb Brightness work great
-Hitting the "minus" button lets you put tables into vertical mode instantly
-Handheld mode runs super smooth
-Touch Screen Support
-Runs 60fps

Cons
-No Pro mode for any tables
-Ghostbusters has scratchy sound
-Black Knight locked balls make clicky sound (annoying)
-Load times for some can be about 18-20 seconds for some tables
-Missing a bunch of custom balls.
-Main Menu music sounds pretty bad

Other than that so far I have been strictly playing in Handheld mode and am loving it! Would totally recommend especially compared to Pinball FX3's crap 30fps Handheld mode. I believe this also beats the WiiU version out graphically due to being able to change the lighting and having better lighting effects. Hopefully this Nintendo Switch version will get patches in the future.

*edit* After playing around more there was noticeable slowdown on Cirqus Voltair and Funhouse. Specifically when there were to many lights flashing at a time. You can notice it without even playing Funhouse and just letting the camera pan around the table.

Last edited:

barbul

Jan 8, 2014
TPA dissapear from US store? I've check Canadian and Mexican stores too - no trace of TPA (yesterday i was trying to buy seasons in US 29.99 + tax, but i can't because some region payment restriction - visa and paypal didn't work, so today i've try Mexican and Canadian nintendo eshop - no trace of TPA - i've revert to US shop to try something different and i've realised there is no TPA at all (even in future releases). Someone know whats going on?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

barbul

Jan 8, 2014
NeShop error code 2811-6002 (There are no products being distributed at this time), so now i can't wait for next weekend EU release.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
From Facebook:

"Unfortunately, Pinball Arcade for Nintendo Switch had to be taken off the eShop today due to a licensing issue. We at FarSight sincerely apologize for any disappointment and inconvenience. Once we get the issue resolved, we will be putting the game back in the store."

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
I saw that as well. Picked the game up yesterday, and then went to buy season 1 today and it was missing. Hopefully it’s back again soon.

Zacattack99

Apr 28, 2017
In my eyes it’s the better version of TPA given the convienience of Switch and the lighting effects handling up quite well.

At least till it returns to the Nintendo eShop again.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
From Facebook:

"Unfortunately, Pinball Arcade for Nintendo Switch had to be taken off the eShop today due to a licensing issue. We at FarSight sincerely apologize for any disappointment and inconvenience. Once we get the issue resolved, we will be putting the game back in the store."
Only up for a single day? Bah, I missed it! :mad:

Hopefully it will be back soon. I wonder which game got blacklisted for licensing?

Last edited:

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Other than that so far I have been strictly playing in Handheld mode and am loving it! Would totally recommend especially compared to Pinball FX3's crap 30fps Handheld mode. I believe this also beats the WiiU version out graphically due to being able to change the lighting and having better lighting effects. Hopefully this Nintendo Switch version will get patches in the future.
I thought the usage of haptic feedback (Nintendo calls this "HD Rumble") in Pinball FX3 was phenominal. How does this compare to PBA? I was underwhelmed by the rumble features in Stern Pinball app compared to FX3.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
First of all, I'm a regular poster at ResetERA and between there and Twitter I have seen so many confused posts by Switch owners asking what the difference is between SPA and TPA, why they would buy one or the other, why both have some of the same tables, etc. It's an issue on all platforms but the new releases on Switch make it clear that the problem is still there.

Second, why no individual table packs?

This is a big mistake.

1) Many casuals aren't going to want to drop $30 for a Season, they don't understand the value or they want to dip their toes in, and seasons 3-7 offer half the content for the same price

2) many veterans already bought these tables on other platforms and will just want to buy the tables they really want. I personally have no intent on double-dipping for entire seasons when I know what tables I like and don't like, so I won't buy anything until they add table packs as an option

3) lots of people already bought the SPA bundles. So you're telling me that I have to rebuy the tables I already bought to get the ones I don't have? I hope this was an oversight because it otherwise feels shady

Fix this asap, Farsight. You're going to lose sales and with the amount of great games releasing on Switch every week people will have forgotten all about TPA when you finally realize this decision was misguided.

Last edited:

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
I like the TATE mode but I wish theyd let you use the buttons for the flippers instead of just touchscreen. I always lose a ball thinking I hit the screen when I didn't. They should add the option like PFX3 and have the left and right (or Y and A) buttons do flippers when held in tate mode.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
If it's like SPA I'm pretty sure you can use the buttons with both JoyCons or no JoyCons attached. PBFX3 is the only game that works with a single JoyCon attached.

At least TPA and SPA are 60fps undocked... although I've heard TPA has had some performance issues docked and undocked when things get busy. Can't confirm, they pulled it before I could download it. Haven't heard the same about SPA on Switch, though.

Last edited:

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Played a little of Tales. It looks good docked (I refuse to play pinball on a small screen!). The detail seems a bit better than PS3, but that could just be greener grass I see. Like the ability to change the room lighting (not available on PS3), though the ambient light doesn't go close to all the way down.

In general, I love the joycons, but I think I'd hook the joycons into the joypad to play. Pressing the buttons for the flippers is a little awkward otherwise. Hoping to get Season 7 soon. Doubt I'll repay for any of the tables I own for the PS3 (up to Season 6), unless it bricks, Season 1 is a maybe. It would be nice to get a discount for already owning the tables (maybe 33% off or something), but not expecting it.

One thing I would suggest, if possible, is to offer the ability to buy packs, such as a Retro 5 or 10 table pack, Williams Pack, Stern Pack (wait, I don't think I'd buy a Stern pack on TPA). Don't know if that is kosher with the agreements they have with these companies though. If I did rebuy tables, I'd like to get the old ones.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
TPA Switch just got a tiny update to v1.1.

Hopefully that means it's coming back to the eshop soon.

swuth66

FarSight Employee
Apr 6, 2018
TPA Switch just got a tiny update to v1.1.

Hopefully that means it's coming back to the eshop soon.

The DLC also got updated (not available in eShop yet, but anyone who already bought table packs can update, and will see that all of the LCD backglasses have their LCD displays fixed :cool:)

To update any DLC you have purchased, hit + on TPA on the home screen and then "Software Update"

(all 7 seasons takes about 45 mins to update on a decent wifi connection)

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Yes, much appreciated. I'm pretty sure this is this first real communication (as in, not counting non-answer email responses from support) Farsight has had with the fans on this matter since the original Facebook announcement that it was pulled. This makes me hopeful.

swuth66

FarSight Employee
Apr 6, 2018
Yes, much appreciated. I'm pretty sure this is this first real communication (as in, not counting non-answer email responses from support) Farsight has had with the fans on this matter since the original Facebook announcement that it was pulled. This makes me hopeful.

Just a quick update for those in the U.S. with the Physical version of Stern Pinball Arcade for Switch. The 1.3 patch (which will bring it up to date with the digital version) has been approved by Nintendo and should be pushed to users in a couple of days. Europe should already have v1.3 for the physical version published by System 3.

For anyone who managed to get TPA for Switch on day one, there is a DLC update which will fix all the LCD displays (backglass) for all the tables where they were off. It also has fixes for some slowdown issues on a few tables. Even though it's not currently on the eShop, you can still update the game and any DLC you purchased via the "software update" for TPA Switch.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.