iOS holiday tournament - firepower glitch

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I shot another 100M+ (110M) game on Whirlwind, but it counted as 10M so it looks like I'm screwed on that table. It's a shame as it would put me on the exact same overall score as you Dylan_h - 722.25 :eek:

Crusty Booger

Apr 13, 2013
That's a drag about the rollover

It is a drag. I just got 106M, good enough for 2nd, but it only counted as 6m.

Oh well, it is still fun. I think the thing I like the most about these (besides the competition), is that they force you to play table you might not ordinarily play...and then discover what fun they can be.

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
Yeah I feel the same about these tournaments especially with the competition you guys are providing. I wasn't expecting you to come back with that t2 score! I also wasn't expecting Gus to crush my black rose score!!
I emailed support about the firepower problem but they haven't responded.

Jazza

Aug 19, 2012
New one for me... 4 mins still on the clock on Whirlwind and message pops up "you're score has been posted". I can't get a high enough score to have the rollover concern but this was annoying.

Enjoy the tourneys though. Makes you think about the scoring and when draining balls can actually be an advantage.

Nice to see you have some competition this time Dylan! hehe Good luck lads.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Dylan, Gus, and crusty booger... You all deserve some respekt! It's too bad they don't offer more for these. Just a hoodie for the top spot doesn't seem like enough. Yeah, since it's so often that they have these tourneys, it might be too much for FS. And look at us guys complaining about bugs. When somehow it doesn't seem to phase you. Besides that rollover, that'd have me smashing stuff lol. I don't know how you guys do it. Are you Bowen in disguise? Even he admitted he's only gotten 80mil on his WW. Yeah, I'm sure he's better now, and also the fact that digitized pinball is easier to master because of the predictability. All I have to say is Wow, and that maybe next time I'll give you guys a run for your money. One can hope

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
Dylan, Gus, and crusty booger... You all deserve some respekt! It's too bad they don't offer more for these. Just a hoodie for the top spot doesn't seem like enough. Yeah, since it's so often that they have these tourneys, it might be too much for FS. And look at us guys complaining about bugs. When somehow it doesn't seem to phase you. Besides that rollover, that'd have me smashing stuff lol. I don't know how you guys do it. Are you Bowen in disguise? Even he admitted he's only gotten 80mil on his WW. Yeah, I'm sure he's better now, and also the fact that digitized pinball is easier to master because of the predictability. All I have to say is Wow, and that maybe next time I'll give you guys a run for your money. One can hope
Haha thanks for the props Extort but Bowen is a legend and I wish I had the skill he has in real world pin. I've only been in a couple of real tournaments and I did kind of poorly, but it was against guys like Adam Becker and Steve Bowden!

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
New one for me... 4 mins still on the clock on Whirlwind and message pops up "you're score has been posted". I can't get a high enough score to have the rollover concern but this was annoying.

Enjoy the tourneys though. Makes you think about the scoring and when draining balls can actually be an advantage.

Nice to see you have some competition this time Dylan! hehe Good luck lads.

That's strange, I've never seen that happen. I've been fairly lucky in these tourneys with relatively no game ending bugs. In fact I still haven't seen the firepower bug with the never ending bonus count.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
That's strange, I've never seen that happen. I've been fairly lucky in these tourneys with relatively no game ending bugs. In fact I still haven't seen the firepower bug with the never ending bonus count.

I always wonder what those PAPA guys would think of TPA, especially the tournaments. Don't you think they could pown? Maybe I'm biased, but with TPA being so much like the real thing, those guys would kill it. It's probably not even a thing to them since they could easily be in a tournament with real pins, and still put up amazing scores. Still makes me wonder though. Also, Dylan, on a different note, Absulutely no one I know cares about TPA. They all know I love it, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't get friends or family into it. I've got a couple friends that used to play pinball after work, and they still don't seem to care. I guess my question is, since this is a REAL tournament, and it takes a LOT of effort, how do you get the people around you to believe it's a serious thing? Cause I've had no luck. It's like, check out my standings... Wow that's great, all I care about is Real Racing 3, do you know what I mean?

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
An interesting question Extort, I think it may have to do with age. I don't know how old you are but I'm in my late 30's and the friends I've managed to pull into TPA are all that age or a little older and are also musicians or artists. Also I think nostalgia plays a large part in that they all remember playing the original tables.
I've heard a couple of the pros talk about TPA but it's still a bit looked down upon thanks to it still being a video game, but that being said Roy wills is very active on TPA and he's one of the top ranked players in the world!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
An interesting question Extort, I think it may have to do with age. I don't know how old you are but I'm in my late 30's and the friends I've managed to pull into TPA are all that age or a little older and are also musicians or artists. Also I think nostalgia plays a large part in that they all remember playing the original tables.
I've heard a couple of the pros talk about TPA but it's still a bit looked down upon thanks to it still being a video game, but that being said Roy wills is very active on TPA and he's one of the top ranked players in the world!

Videogame shmideogame, even on my iPhone 5s it feels like the real thing. Nostalgia shmostalgshma, yeah I'm a decade behind you, but I don't see how it's not enjoyable to the hardened pinball elite. If there is such a thing. One way I've tried to make TPA fun with my friends is to turn it into a drinking game. Even I am too old for that, well not really. But that can be fun. Monster Bash, any time you get an instrument, everyone else has to drink. And here I'm saying this to the master. But really, the more people I can get into it the better. There's no way in hell I would compair it to a 'video game' like call of duty, or candy crush. Yall can play that, but I'll be playin TPA

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Where I get 'Extork' from is an IDM band called 'Plaid'. I only mention it because you said you have musician and artist friends. Well plaid is both of those things. A lot like apex twin, but a lot more mellow, and with a rolling beat. But how they are different is they'll add up to 4 or 5 melodies at the same time. Take 'New Family' by plaid for instance, show that to a true musician and they'll see what can be done with melodies. Went off on a tangent there. Maybe cause you said extort and not extork. Extork is not even the best by them. Whenever they use vocals, it's usually Bjork. All of their songs' names are not real words. And they've got hundreds. That was a little bit too much of a tangent, sorry about that

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
Haha sorry man I didn't mean to get your handle wrong and that drinking game actually sounds like fun!
I'm a musician as well, drummer actually ;)
I don't know why but I've never met a musician who doesn't at least enjoy a game of pinball here and there.
I agree about the feel of TPA as its the closest thing to the real deal., I've tried all the others and none of them really come close.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Honestly that makes a lot of sense, you being a drummer. Timing is key. Haha. Actually I bet there's some truth to that. For me, I make music on the side, and when anything's off key, even by a little bit it drives me insane. This is why finishing a track is so tough for me. Tweeking could take hours, and not a single thing will be accomplished. Yeah that firepower glitch really sucks... See what I did there? ;)

Last edited:

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
You're right about that Dylan. I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years.my old band's drummer had WW and Dr dude down in his basement where we practiced. The band would spend more time drinking and playing pinball than jamming. Guess that's we weren't that good lol. You're not the only one Extort who takes these tourneys seriously. I drive my wife nuts during tourneys. They bring my ultra competive side out. She gave me an IPad mini for Xmas on the promise I don't throw IT like I do the phone I was playing on. Been a fun tourney so far with some pretty sick scores thrown out there(Dylan and Gus name a couple). Those guys make my head hurt. How they get some of the scores I'll never figure it out but it's sure is fun trying to get there.

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
You're right about that Dylan. I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years.my old band's drummer had WW and Dr dude down in his basement where we practiced. The band would spend more time drinking and playing pinball than jamming. Guess that's we weren't that good lol. You're not the only one Extort who takes these tourneys seriously. I drive my wife nuts during tourneys. They bring my ultra competive side out. She gave me an IPad mini for Xmas on the promise I don't throw IT like I do the phone I was playing on. Been a fun tourney so far with some pretty sick scores thrown out there(Dylan and Gus name a couple). Those guys make my head hurt. How they get some of the scores I'll never figure it out but it's sure is fun trying to get there.

Haha a pinball machine in a rehearsal space is a terrible idea!... or amazing ;)
The scores all come down to learning where to get the most points and doing your best to ignore everything else on the table. A perfect example is T2, the top scores are all from working one shot for the entire 20 minutes ignoring the jackpot/super jackpots completely.

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
Looks like the tourney is over, congrats to everyone in the top ten especially Gus and Crusty who made my job almost impossible. Sorry about the last minute take down of your t2 score Crusty but victory and junkyard were not cooperating with me at all. Happy new year everyone!

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Grats and GG Dylan!!! Well deserved win!

All in all I enjoyed this tournament a lot, some fun tables and very tough competition! I wish I had more time to challenge you for supremacy over the seven seas (yarrrr!) one more time, but I was celebrating new years eve away and only had time for one more game in the morning :) I shot 1.9B (again) with two more ships lit to sink but drained with about 1 min left on the clock. So I was pretty close, but my nerves got in the way of too many cannon shots, hehe :) I didn't think much of Black Rose before the tourney, but I loved it for competition play! And it's a great way to really learn and appreciate a table. I could probably hit 1000 HOF on BR pretty easy after this, but it's just not the same without the clock counting down the seconds ;) I'm most impressed with your AFM score, how do you do it? Rule the Universe and then Total Annihilation with lots of victory laps?? That's how I got my top score, but I wasn't near your sick 70B+ score. I probably shouldn't have played Strobe MB at all... Hadn't played AFM in a long while and it's really a fantastic table. I checked in on the final scores towards the end, but didn't see your final T2 score, what was it? I am too inconsistent with stringing that many chase loops together, and I don't like that table because of how that strategy works. And it hurts my left thumb!

I had to work very hard to beat Efbelo on MM, gg mate! Great table too, although the strategy I opted for in the end (Castle MB and bonus x) was kind of cheesy which makes it a little less fun. Still plenty of shots that need to be made to score at least and a single drain will ruin it.

Junkyard I just don't get. Dislike the theme and the shots feel very awkward to me.

Whirlwind and Firepower would be great tournament tables if it wasn't for the game/score-breaking bugs. Noone seems to like Victory. My score there was pretty weak. Decent table for tournaments IMO.

Regarding music: My instrument of choice would probably be the plastic guitar. I was into Guitar Hero for a while ;) I did play the piano for years and had a drum set at home for a few years as well.

For the next tournament I hope for something like:
Earthshaker
High Speed
White Water
Genie
Fun House
Big Shot
BS Dracula
The Addam's Family

Dylan_h

Mar 15, 2012
Grats and GG Dylan!!! Well deserved win!

All in all I enjoyed this tournament a lot, some fun tables and very tough competition! I wish I had more time to challenge you for supremacy over the seven seas (yarrrr!) one more time, but I was celebrating new years eve away and only had time for one more game in the morning :) I shot 1.9B (again) with two more ships lit to sink but drained with about 1 min left on the clock. So I was pretty close, but my nerves got in the way of too many cannon shots, hehe :) I didn't think much of Black Rose before the tourney, but I loved it for competition play! And it's a great way to really learn and appreciate a table. I could probably hit 1000 HOF on BR pretty easy after this, but it's just not the same without the clock counting down the seconds ;) I'm most impressed with your AFM score, how do you do it? Rule the Universe and then Total Annihilation with lots of victory laps?? That's how I got my top score, but I wasn't near your sick 70B+ score. I probably shouldn't have played Strobe MB at all... Hadn't played AFM in a long while and it's really a fantastic table. I checked in on the final scores towards the end, but didn't see your final T2 score, what was it? I am too inconsistent with stringing that many chase loops together, and I don't like that table because of how that strategy works. And it hurts my left thumb!

I had to work very hard to beat Efbelo on MM, gg mate! Great table too, although the strategy I opted for in the end (Castle MB and bonus x) was kind of cheesy which makes it a little less fun. Still plenty of shots that need to be made to score at least and a single drain will ruin it.

Junkyard I just don't get. Dislike the theme and the shots feel very awkward to me.

Whirlwind and Firepower would be great tournament tables if it wasn't for the game/score-breaking bugs. Noone seems to like Victory. My score there was pretty weak. Decent table for tournaments IMO.

Regarding music: My instrument of choice would probably be the plastic guitar. I was into Guitar Hero for a while ;) I did play the piano for years and had a drum set at home for a few years as well.

For the next tournament I hope for something like:
Earthshaker
High Speed
White Water
Genie
Fun House
Big Shot
BS Dracula
The Addam's Family

Thanks man! I thought you had me a bunch of times :)
I know what you mean about New Years cutting into it, having the last day end around 7pm here gave me one more shot at t2 just as I was about to go out and I ended up having a good game cracking the 2 billion mark and a sore thumb as well ;)
The AFM score was a bit of a fluke great game and I kind of forget what got me there as I was listening to podcasts while playing, but yeah I remember tons of victory laps. I was kind of shocked when I noticed the score actually after the timer hit. Definitely avoided strobe multiball though ;)

I didn't even try for your MM score as it was crazy. I didn't even think about the castle multiball route but thinking about those multiplying jacks it makes sense.
Couldn't agree more with your junkyard opinion, physics have always felt wrong to me and defeating bob twice is even a bit of a chore.
I've never been a huge lawlor fan so I guess I got lucky with whirlwind, if it wasn't for the rollover bug you guys would've destroyed my score! I would've gladly had it taken down though but they didn't take the firepower scores down either.
Black Rose has been a favourite of mine for some time now, especially in the tournaments. Like you said it all comes down to those final couple of minutes and insanely valued ships!!
Looking forward to the next one!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Gus, those are some good choices for the next one. I was actually thinking Genie and BSD myself. Can you imagine Tee'd Off (with the SKINS)? That might lead to a thrown device. Also, I can't remember if they've had BK2K yet, but that would be interesting too. Space Shuttle is another one that might have some interesting strategies. That might've been in one of the tourneys I spaced out on. But yeah, good job everyone, and let's not have T2 any more haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.