Is "Pro" worth the extra money?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I'm really liking TPA on Steam, and I'm thinking of buying it for the third time (I also have it on Android and 360). The question is, do you think the Operator access is worth the $10 per season extra?
Also, have they added buy-in support for tables that use it (like STTNG, TOTAN, TOM, and STTNG) on Pro?

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I was going to buy the Pro version of "Scared Stiff", solely for the extra "Adult" phrases that Elvira says that got edited out, but then I learned that you have to turn "Family" mode OFF each and every time you play it if you want to hear the extra adult stuff.

I don't know why it just doesn't stay on after you initially change the setting?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I was going to buy the Pro version of "Scared Stiff", solely for the extra "Adult" phrases that Elvira says that got edited out, but then I learned that you have to turn "Family" mode OFF each and every time you play it if you want to hear the extra adult stuff.

I don't know why it just doesn't stay on after you initially change the setting?

I thought Pro settings were saving correctly on PS3. (Mind you, I haven't checked that platform in a few updates.) You *should* just have to go into operator mode.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The only thing that makes it worth it to me is the ability to turn of extra balls. Wish every table had this option.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I thought Pro settings were saving correctly on PS3. (Mind you, I haven't checked that platform in a few updates.) You *should* just have to go into operator mode.

I have no idea, as I've never bought a Pro table, but that was the response I got when I sent them an E-mail. They said I would manually have to turn "Family Mode" OFF each time, which was a non starter for me.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I have no idea, as I've never bought a Pro table, but that was the response I got when I sent them an E-mail. They said I would manually have to turn "Family Mode" OFF each time, which was a non starter for me.

I'm not sure they had that right; Family Mode is just a ROM setting, and those are supposed to save (they don't currently on the PS4, but they've acknowledged that as a bug). You might want to ask someone on the PS3 board.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
can someone let me know when you use ball control on the ps3 version, how do you control the ball (the dpad, or the left or right analog stick)? are you able to still nudge when you are in ball control mode? thanks.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I'm not sure they had that right; Family Mode is just a ROM setting, and those are supposed to save (they don't currently on the PS4, but they've acknowledged that as a bug). You might want to ask someone on the PS3 board.

Thanks, I'll do that.

N

netizen

can someone let me know when you use ball control on the ps3 version, how do you control the ball (the dpad, or the left or right analog stick)? are you able to still nudge when you are in ball control mode? thanks.

Assuming the controls are like other platforms, you use the L stick to control ball movement in conjunction with the L+R triggers/bumpers (can't recall which OTOH) to control gravity/ball speed. When ball control is on you cannot nudge because you can control the ball direction/speed instead.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
thanks netty, I always wondered, cuz I wanted to practice death saves. put the ball in the outlane and see if I can death save.
I have been able to bust out some death saves on occasion on certain tables on tpa.

Last edited:

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I got season 1 & 2 with pro modes. Never used it but $10 is just 1 beer in the pub here so I thought why not? :) If I ever finish them wizard goals and put up some decent scores I might have a look at the pro modes too.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I only have SS with pro mode, and I next to never use it. I personally don't think it's worth the money.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i biught jt fir a few packs fir ten minutes use nodtky to nisey abkut the op menus....it has ni real insentive ir use unless you really want to set your own table oaramters for personal use, aka your favourite table with your own settings, otherwise, its an emtoy gimmick, liitle harsh but still

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I bought the Pro SS, IMO it was worth it insofar the restored content is hilarious, and you can never get enough Elvira. Also, on iPad atleast, the table now correctly remembers the settings, so one does not need to unlock it every time. That said, Pro-mode seems like a cash grab to me and should be included, or perhaps make it a 99 cent upgrade. :p

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Just did it for S3 and the few select Kickstarter tables. Don't really use it for anything other than the scoring hints. Basically for me was just a way to sent the developer a bit more money.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
i biught jt fir a few packs fir ten minutes use nodtky to nisey abkut the op menus....it has ni real insentive ir use unless you really want to set your own table oaramters for personal use, aka your favourite table with your own settings, otherwise, its an emtoy gimmick, liitle harsh but still

You know, I've decided to move to a mountaintop temple and translate the sayings of Heritic...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You know, I've decided to move to a mountaintop temple and translate the sayings of Heritic...

I have a Rosetta Stone for Heretic speak. For starters, he never types 'p' when 'o' works just as well. Using that logic, if you can't make out a word, just look at your keyboard to see what letters are next to each other, and the mind of Heretic is unlocked!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
He seems to type with an accent. Makes it fun to try and read them out loud. He should write children's books. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts