License expiration for TZ, STTNG and T2

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Shortly after the Terminator 2 kickstarter, I remember reading that Farsight's licensing for TZ and STTNG was only for 3 years and T2 was for 2 years. That would mean that all three of these would expire this year unless Farsight renews these licenses.

This is a problem for me as a PS3 user. Currently all of the PS4 games I am interested in have been/will be available for the PS3. I know I will want to get a PS4 eventually, but eventually might be too late if I want to get all TPA tables on the PS4.

So, does anyone know if renewing these licenses will cost Farsight as much as the kickstarter goals were? If it does, then Farsight will probably not renew them.

And don't tell me to get the PC version. I don't have the setup to have even a semi-enjoyable experience on the least demanding settings.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
No. I think everyone with a ps3 is concerned. I am holding off on PS4 but if that happens I would have to buy one sooner than expected (and then rebuy all the tables for a 3rd time...)

Super all what do you mean it's already been made? The games or the license deal?

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Maybe you can visit the store on the website and buy the PS4 version.

Interesting - just pre- buy the potential license expires before hand. Haven't tried the sony online store - just the ps3 ingame one that just show ps3 and psvita offerings. So maybe that would work.

I guess I just want an official heads up from farsight I'd they are going to have to remove a game from the line up. Let's hope they never have to.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
No. I think everyone with a ps3 is concerned. I am holding off on PS4 but if that happens I would have to buy one sooner than expected (and then rebuy all the tables for a 3rd time...)

Super all what do you mean it's already been made? The games or the license deal?

They've made the tables, that is most likely what the licensing window entails, is the window of time they can make and release the table. They shouldn't have limit on how long they can sell it.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
They've made the tables, that is most likely what the licensing window entails, is the window of time they can make and release the table. They shouldn't have limit on how long they can sell it.

Absolutely sure about this point superballs ?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Absolutely sure about this point superballs ?

About as sure as anyone can be.

Doesn't make sense to create a table and not even be sure if you can release it at all in the event of delays. I'm sure that the PS3 is still a decent market, and if they eventually release the 360 version, that will probably have some sales behind it too.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013

I know nothing about this deal specifically, but several other games have already been delisted from online stores due to licensing deals expiring. Sega pulling Outrun after losing the Ferrari license and Afterburner after their license with Northrop grumman expired spring to mind. Capcom had to remove Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 less than a year after it was released when their deal with Marvel ran out. Activision's Deadpool game was only on sale for about 6 months before they had to stop selling it.

It seems fairly standard to remove digital titles when a license expires.

Last edited:

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Interesting - just pre- buy the potential license expires before hand. Haven't tried the sony online store - just the ps3 ingame one that just show ps3 and psvita offerings. So maybe that would work.

I guess I just want an official heads up from farsight I'd they are going to have to remove a game from the line up. Let's hope they never have to.

I can’t say for sure it would work, but I think it would.
It’s pretty much the same thing people who only owned a PS3 would do if they wanted to get the PS4 free games for the month. Log in to the online store and “purchase” the title so when they finally bought the PS4, they’d have it available to download even though it had long since expired by that point.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I can’t say for sure it would work, but I think it would.
It’s pretty much the same thing people who only owned a PS3 would do if they wanted to get the PS4 free games for the month. Log in to the online store and “purchase” the title so when they finally bought the PS4, they’d have it available to download even though it had long since expired by that point.

In theory it should work. The only reason I can think of it possibly not working is if they don't let purchases carry over after it has been removed by the store if you didn't already have a ps4 registered under your username at the time it was pulled. I'm still on the fence about what I am going to do. I am thinking I will purchase a ps4 later this year to avoid any potential letdowns.

To remind everyone, here are the months where the kickstarters were held, which should also be when their licenses expire, depending on when Farsight signed the license.

Twilight Zone - Late May-June
Terminator 2 - Late June-July
Star Trek - Late August - September

Edit: Interesting that T2's expiration coincides with the theatrical release of Terminator Genesis. That was probably part of the reason why they only licenses it for two years (so that the rights holders can re-license the Terminator brand when the new movie comes out)

Last edited:

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
it's normal for licenses to be renewed after a period of time. i wouldn't worry about it. at this point it's free money for studios.

Baltimore Jones

Jul 25, 2013
I do not think that superballs is correct unfortunately. There will most likely need to be some sort of license renewal if the tables are to continue being sold. I made a thread about this a while back.

Don't worry about the S1 tables, as they are available on a physical disc that you could always buy used if you had to, although I'm not sure about Pro versions. The first real concern is T2.

Hopefully a purchase now through PSN would allow us to always download expired tables but I don't know how that normally works.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Many songs have been removed from the Rock Band music store due to expired licenses. If you already purchased the songs, they are still available to you. If not, you can't get them anymore.

I think it's going to be the same deal here. I do seem to remember Bobby King (or someone else from FS) mentioning that they could only sell those tables for a limited time, but anyone who buys them will always have access to them.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Many songs have been removed from the Rock Band music store due to expired licenses. If you already purchased the songs, they are still available to you. If not, you can't get them anymore.

I think it's going to be the same deal here. I do seem to remember Bobby King (or someone else from FS) mentioning that they could only sell those tables for a limited time, but anyone who buys them will always have access to them.

Might as well do the licensed tables (for tournament mode settings) just in case anything goes wrong.

Baltimore Jones

Jul 25, 2013
Freaking out about this now. I actually still only own the base game with 4 tables for PS3. Have put off buying more because of important real-life things that have to be done.

If we don't hear anything either way by May I might just have to purchase T2 alone for PS4 and/or PS3. The others will depend on if there is a sale or not since at least there is the disc for PS4. However, are there Pro versions of those S1 tables that I could miss out on forever even if I get the disc?

And then there's the possibility that other lesser licenses have expirations that we are unaware of...okay from now on I must take advantage of all PSN TPA sales!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.