Request Make the coil give!

p6800

May 17, 2013
I was thinking about something that is missing from the simulation.

On a real table, when a ball impacts ~hard the flipper (more when it hits the edge of the held flipper), the coil gives a little. In tpa the coil is like a ninja. No matter how hard the ball hits the bat, no movement.

Check out the dead bounce slow motion papa video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDLSmRFYO0

Just like the animated rolovers, this would make the game better.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
This has been discussed before. It would be a nice little trick. Probably left static to simplify the physics. If I remember right, Pro Pinball does this?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Pro Pinball did that starting with BRUSA, use the mass of the ball to influence the flipper. The Web and Timeshock have a massless ball as far as the flippers are concerned. Source: various mentions by Ade Barritt over the years.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I would love to see them actually try to simulate how a flipper coil works, because then in theory we also get things like drop catches, feathering, and all the other flipper tricks that you can't do in TPA right now, where the flippers are still a very simple binary flipped/unflipped type of thing; it's the one real, vital area in which TPA feels lacking to me as a simulation (combined with ball spin, I suppose). Buuuuut it would be a big change and has never seemed like something they feel at all interested in trying to mess with--they have never even mentioned it, while they *have* mentioned ball spin, if only to say that they took a stab at it early on and found that it was extremely tricky to try to simulate in a truly realistic way.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.