Microsoft To Announce Indie Self-Publishing, New Certification Process

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I'm definitely not expecting anything before October, and if MS were planning to announce this at Gamescom which seems to be by the end of August, the 1st is obviously out of the question. Most likely they are planning on announcing it "effective immediately".

Gigabomber

Jul 4, 2013
They might push it out sooner. Thousands of dollars and kickstarter backers waiting.

And we aren't really sure about how long MS has been telling indie publishers this is coming and then hushing them up. There's been rumors since, what, April?

Last edited:

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I think MS has announced that further details will be coming out at Gamescom.

The thing is, the retail-units-as-debug-thing will NOT be available at launch. It'll be expected soon after launch, but not at launch.So indies intending to use it for development will need to get a full devkit initially.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Once Farsight submits to Microsoft, it will take two months for approval. One month for Microsoft to tell Farsight that they cannot approve their product because it is not compatible with the microphone from Rock Band and that they need to resubmit and another month for them to approve it. ��Also, if a bunch of Indie developers submit games at the same time, this could make the process take even longer.

Gigabomber

Jul 4, 2013
Once Farsight submits to Microsoft, it will take two months for approval. One month for Microsoft to tell Farsight that they cannot approve their product because it is not compatible with the microphone from Rock Band and that they need to resubmit and another month for them to approve it. ��Also, if a bunch of Indie developers submit games at the same time, this could make the process take even longer.

Well, they only yanked the base game plus the first few DLCs because of the Crave issues, so hopefully they won't have to re-certify that stuff. They are also trying to make a good showing for the new indie devs and get some points for getting pinball arcade on xbox one, so I think many of us are hoping they put their best foot forward.

Of course, it could be the first step followed by a sprained ankle that causes a tumble down a flight of stairs that leads into a dark, damp basement.

Having this much dlc available for this game on EVERY other platform does look a bit bad.

phantomfriar2002

Apr 13, 2012
What about the 360, does this affect its rerelease or not?

Mike can confirm but I am pretty sure the legal issues with the 360 have nothing to do with the Xbox One. FS doesn't need a publisher for the Xbox One so they are free and clear to go ahead. Different case for the 360 where they have the various publisher bankruptcy issues and such.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike can confirm but I am pretty sure the legal issues with the 360 have nothing to do with the Xbox One. FS doesn't need a publisher for the Xbox One so they are free and clear to go ahead. Different case for the 360 where they have the various publisher bankruptcy issues and such.

Yes this is the case as far as we know.

danknugz

Mar 10, 2014
guys, is it ever coming? if they decide to do it today, how long would it take from today until release? 1 year? 2 years?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.