My tribute to Python Anghelo

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Some of you may remember my post from a couple months ago, when I had set up a deal on a Williams Blackout, only to have the seller pull it out from underneath my feet 12 hrs before I was to pick it up. I was upset at the time, but as many of you pointed out - things happen for a reason and that particular table was not meant to be (for me).

And now I know why that deal fell thru. So I could score this:

1sxDbwufGjfeywNFZhmXyqkm5BKm3Eika_ul1Kriz0E=w188-h248-p-no

I figure there is no batter way to pay tribute to the man who entertained me for so many years, than by buying another one of his iconic tables!!! This sits next to Police Force, for a two-fer of Python goodness!!

This machine is in fantastic shape. The case and outside are almost flawless. Translight has a couple scratches, but it's vibrant and clear. The previous owner runs an arcade rental/party supply company. Man, you should have seen his 50,000 sq ft warehouse FILLED with ping-pong tables, foosball, free throw games, multi-cades, etc.... it was like a man-child's personal paradise. He bought the Taxi a few years back, thinking it would be a good addition to the rental stuff... Then he realized that moving and setting up a pin multiple times a week, combined with the constant maintenance, just made the whole thing non-viable as far as business. So he took it home, played it for a few years and then it just sort of sat there for a few more. He went to play it again, and it wasn't working. Turns out, like most novice pin owners, he left it sitting for years with the batteries in it! Luckily, it was only corroded around the battery pack, so he took it to the shop (very respected, $70/hr place, I know it well) and spent almost $700 having it completely shopped. Outside of some minor, normal playfield wear, this thing is in amazing condition. Everything works great, all drop targets, kickout and slingshots are golden. I'm missing one piece of plastic (Lola) and a couple others are cracked so I'll replace those as I find the parts.

Here's a couple shots of the playfield:

JBpZKZbecY2dFvAYEWaq8w7Xh-Bbbc0v4u3DKClhxEo=w188-h248-p-no

Bv-TEPhQfJdx8K36CpaRca_5JHiQ6LLft0TBPJGI8ws=w188-h248-p-no

fP-zq9R4XrA5rtXzI2SvafcHiNmUkKSRgGrut9v5zC0=w188-h248-p-no

As you can see, the primary wear is around the green inserts, and the center area between the flippers. The table has never been mylar'd so it's original clear coat. Paint is somewhat oxidized, so I'll have to be careful as I clean it!

Well, I am incredibly excited. After the Blackout debacle, I knew my next machine would be either 1) Whirlwind 2) Taxi or 3) Space Shuttle. After hearing the news about Python, literally the next day this machine popped up 45 minutes from me. I figured "this ain't coincidence" and jumped all over it. $1000 and 3 hours later, she was in my living room, next to her sibling Police Force!

Life is good!

Last edited:

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I remember how bummed out you were. I'm glad things have worked out and this may be just the beginning. Best of luck and enjoy.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
If you're gonna get into paint touch up, what you have there wouldn't be too hard. At least you have nice solid colors that you just need to match with a steady hand. Nowhere near as much of a pain in the a$$ as my Firepower was with its insane patterns.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
If you're gonna get into paint touch up, what you have there wouldn't be too hard. At least you have nice solid colors that you just need to match with a steady hand. Nowhere near as much of a pain in the a$$ as my Firepower was with its insane patterns.

I'm not going to try anything. ;) I have some very talented artists in my circle of friends and I'm pretty sure one of them could take care of the touch up work. Don't let those shots mislead you - the rest of the table is 8.5/10 or better, it just has those 3-4 spots on the playfield!

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Ok as I've been going thru and re-working/restoring the game, I've taken some more shots. Everything is progressing nicely! I've got a full set of playfield plastics and all new rubbers on the way (should be here Monday). I've gone thru every light and flasher, all new and working great. Other than the case knocker which is seized up, everything appears to be in 100% working order. I don't think I'm going to worry about replacing it right now, it really freaks out the dogs and since Taxi has a bell inside, it's pretty redundant for home use.

She's playing super fast and tight! Just an absolute joy to fire it up and let it rip.

One issue I am having, and I think it's a +5v PSU board thing, is that about every other time I go to turn the machine one, the lights come up, and that's it. Flip it off and back on, and up comes the LED and music/flashers and everything is normal - other than the fact it won't save HS's for longer than about 15-30 minutes. Batteries are good, as a matter of fact the whole backup AA holder has been replaced and I'm getting the proper voltage there (the batteries are good). About every 10th time I turn it on, it does a factory reset, losing all my settings. I believe this is a POR (Power on Reset) issue? I've checked the caps that I know to check and they all seem to be testing in the correct range. If any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Here's some updated pics as I have cleaned/replaced/waxed etc..

2014-04-21+22.10.58.jpg

2014-04-21+22.15.48.jpg

2014-04-21+22.16.53.jpg

2014-04-21+22.15.38.jpg

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
If they're the original caps, I'd just replace them. I'd also remove the old and add new solder to every header pin. This way it's an almost certainty you'll keep good connectivity for quite a while. Intermittent connections are one of the most common causes for resets and other board issues. Also, check all your female connectors for burn marks and they should be nice and tight when connected to the board.

Your scoring issue may be a bad ram chip. I think it's a 6116 or 6264. Check out this pinside thread for some more info. Also, check out pinside for threads concerning this issue.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-eliminator-ram-for-data-east-williams-system-11

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Thanks dtown, I'm all over Pinside but not much activity on the Taxi front over there, I've posted so I'll see if I get any feedback.

Thanks for the thread link, but I'm not about to cut out a section of my PCB board and hack in an NVRAM chip that doesn't even fit without major mods to the boards. Newp.

No burn marks, scorches, etc... all the headers look great, this machine was just recently shopped by the previous owner and he spent $700 at a known, reputable shop getting it done - this job included replacing the slightly corroded battery backup pack with a new one and repairing any residual damage. The power supply board is a replacement - not the original. I cannot find any symptoms of scorching burning, no swollen caps or visual issues that I can see. Everything looks clean and tight. I am still running over it with my DMM so I'll keep looking for anything out of spec.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Yea. Sorry, I wasn't suggesting replacing it with an NVRAM. More just to show the location of the chip to replace with another if necessary. Also, don't limit the scope of your search to just Taxi. When it comes to board issues it can be any game that uses the same board set. Taxi is a system 11b so I'd look for the same problem associated with any other pin using the same board (or any system 11 for that matter). When I was working on my Firepower, I watched every system 6 video on pinballninja's website along with reading any associated thread on pinside.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Yep, I'm looking everywhere. I also own another Sys11b (Police Force) so I'm pretty familiar with them. That's why I'm posting for help, I've done pretty intensive work on Sys11's before and this, I have not encountered. It loses the HS without even turning the game off - it's crazy! I just played a game, hit around 3.4 mils (enough to get on the default board), entered my initials, verified that it "took" and displayed my name/score as #3 on the board. Two games later, it's just... gone. Game had not reset or done anything strange, I just played two more games without turning off the machine, and then my score was gone and replaced with the default again. Like, whoa, man. ;)

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Well, looks like I figured it out! After all that, I traced the HS reset circuit, and found the ground interrupt (which sends the reset signal to the board) had become loose and the solder joint had disconnected from the switch inside the coin door!

fUeIvPaY-XWo4RKQPULTnPPL522GXRal5lKwQvvb8To=w188-h248-p-no

That explains all the ROMS and circuits testing fine, and the random nature of the scores resetting. Whenever I'd set a score, it would stay until I played another game or two, eventually the nudging and shaking would ground the circuit and cause it to reset only the HS at the next game start!

Thank goodness it was something so simple. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.