NBA Regular Season

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I think the most painful thing about the Lakers this season isn't watching Kobe struggle, it's listening to how people think he should be taken out back and put down like some old horse. I want him to have a farewell lap, I love that the organization embraces him for the legacy he leaves, and I just want him to finish out a season standing on two feet. Even losing, having Kobe as a mentor for the entire season (as well as Meta) will benefit these young guys more than any of the haters even realize.

Lakers don't tank. It's not in our DNA. It sends the wrong message to players about what kind of organization you are. Do the Lakers have a huge ego? Damn straight. Lot of pride too. I'm sure that's what makes their fall so delicious to those that hate them. It's very interesting, people's opinions of Kobe who aren't Los Angelinos. I guess it's the same sort of derision I have for LeBron, or anyone ever associated with the Celtics. As for Kobe being overrated? A few years back, there wasn't a team in the league who wouldn't have chewed off their left testicle to have him. Quit pretending he was just some average player.

Do not misunderstand what I say about Kobe.
When I say that it is painful to see him play this way this (last) season it is because I find that its current performances are not up to the end of career that this outstanding player deserves.
I know who he was. I know who he is.
And I don't want to see him on the bench.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'd have preferred if Kobe had retired a year or two ago rather than limp to the finish line like this. But he is a hall of fame player who has had a fantastic career. Many athletes can't let go. We've all seen it before. They still know how to play the game, but their body just can't make it happen anymore.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I'd have preferred if Kobe had retired a year or two ago rather than limp to the finish line like this. But he is a hall of fame player who has had a fantastic career. Many athletes can't let go. We've all seen it before. They still know how to play the game, but their body just can't make it happen anymore.

This.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Players who are still playing and are older than Kobe:
- still playing at Hall of Fame level: Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili
- playing at above-average starter level: Kevin Garnett, Andre Miller
- others: Chris Andersen, Jason Terry, Pablo Prigioni, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter

He hasn't been even a decent starter for three years.

I didn't say he had been an average player. His career WS/48 is #47. That's a Hall of Famer. It's right above Reggie Miller and that seems about right. But let's stop pretending he's anywhere near the all-time greatest guards. He might be on the all-time 10th team All-NBA.

Sources:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_per_48_career.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_advanced.html?lid=header_seasons

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
I think the most painful thing about the Lakers this season isn't watching Kobe struggle, it's listening to how people think he should be taken out back and put down like some old horse. I want him to have a farewell lap, I love that the organization embraces him for the legacy he leaves, and I just want him to finish out a season standing on two feet. Even losing, having Kobe as a mentor for the entire season (as well as Meta) will benefit these young guys more than any of the haters even realize.
_____
Kobe will make a great coach.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Players who are still playing and are older than Kobe:
- still playing at Hall of Fame level: Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili
- playing at above-average starter level: Kevin Garnett, Andre Miller
- others: Chris Andersen, Jason Terry, Pablo Prigioni, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter

He hasn't been even a decent starter for three years.

I didn't say he had been an average player. His career WS/48 is #47. That's a Hall of Famer. It's right above Reggie Miller and that seems about right. But let's stop pretending he's anywhere near the all-time greatest guards. He might be on the all-time 10th team All-NBA.

Sources:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_per_48_career.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_advanced.html?lid=header_seasons

Yep, his body is shot. He came right out of high school, so I think this about his 20th season. There are always some exceptions, but Kobe ain't no George Blanda.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
CVBn8kxUEAA4d6I.jpg

invitro

May 4, 2012
Finally !!!
The box score says Kobe took 17 three-pointers. That has to be a mistake. Unless... he made 4 of them. That's 23%. He improved his average, which was 19%! Never mind.

He also went 3/9 on two-pointers. No losing streak is safe when Kobe is in the house!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The box score says Kobe took 17 three-pointers. That has to be a mistake. Unless... he made 4 of them. That's 23%. He improved his average, which was 19%! Never mind.

He also went 3/9 on two-pointers. No losing streak is safe when Kobe is in the house!

Don't make me ban you!

The problem isn't Kobe. It's the fact they are not running any kind of offense in the least. Can't believe we lost to Phillie. In other news, looks like we'll be keeping our lottery pick.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Sixers going for 2 in a row tonight. Baby steps

I'm now rooting for your team to win rather than my beloved Lakers. We need to be bottom 3 so you don't get our pick, but hey if we're gonna suck, let's be number 1 at it!

Actually, here's my hopes for the rest of our miserable season:

- That Kobe is able to finish the season on 2 feet, no significant time off
- That the team plays competitively 3 quarters. The other quarter can suck enough for them to lose.
- Our young core grows in experience so that...
- When Scott gets fired as coach and next year our young get paired with a vet they actually flourish
- No stupid trades happen that inhibit the salary cap next year, since with Kobe gone we gonna have so much cash to spend!

Unlike most of our city, I'm cool with rebuilding. I also had no issue with giving Kobe what I call 'legacy' money, since I doubt we'd have been able to sign any big names regardless. Cap space wasn't the issue, it's our front office still trying to figure out what the hell to do without Jerry Buss. I think he had a way of talking that sold the Lakers to players, he was the franchise. I know there's a big push for Jim to step down and have Jeannie take over everything, but I don't honestly believe that is the fix all.

Oh well, in the meantime, go Warriors. And I hope Cleveland completely falls apart.

Members online

Members online