New 3DS

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
So, the New 3DS remodel was announced, and along with a slew of new features, it also has an improved CPU. It looks like there will be some New 3DS exclusives that use the new CPU, so I was wondering, could it be possible for TPA to finally make it's way to 3DS as a New 3DS exclusive? That would be pretty cool, but seeing as not even the Wii U version has been released yet, I don't really see it happening.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
So, the New 3DS remodel was announced, and along with a slew of new features, it also has an improved CPU. It looks like there will be some New 3DS exclusives that use the new CPU, so I was wondering, could it be possible for TPA to finally make it's way to 3DS as a New 3DS exclusive? That would be pretty cool, but seeing as not even the Wii U version has been released yet, I don't really see it happening.

One of the bad things about Nintendo is that they have only announced it for the Japanese market. I'm assuming it will come to the US but this is horrible marketing. I don't think a lot of their fans will know this is a new product as it is nearly identical to the current model. The DSi failed for the same reason. Not to mention there were a handful of DSi games that only worked with that system. The games weren't great and most people just upgraded to the 3DS when it was released sometime later. Either Nintendo needs to have a new system in the pipeline or they need to really push the marketing on this thing. US will not likely get a release until it has been out 6-12 months in Japan.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
beware the curse of sega at least as a big comtender i love nintendo but i worry about them, slow to accept change in the marekt, sony onky hoors itself because its really like fifty comapies under a brand name

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Farsight already said the new system will probably not be getting tpa via Facebook. That answers that question.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
Not sure if the 3DS has enough units sold to be of any importance for a game like TPA for FS. If they cannot easily port the game to 3DS then FS will probably not make a profit out of it.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Bad idea to limit a game to only the newest version, especially a niche game. Think about it - everyone who owns a 3DS right now won't be able to play it. That's a big userbase to discount.

Plus I think the improved CPU is just a nip and tuck. Nothing revolutionary.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Well the New 3ds will be able to play a "remastered" version of a Wii game (Xenoblade Chronicles) and the old 3ds model won't, so apparently there might be a significant improvement in the hardware. If it can play a Wii game I don't see why it couldn't play a pinball game. Dosen't have to be up to PC standards, but seems like it should be possible. Also Farsight said they would release a collection of older tables and call it Pinball Hall of Fame (again), what happened to that? (and no I'm not talking about the first PHOF game on 3DS, they said they'd make a newer one.)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
beware the curse of sega at least as a big comtender i love nintendo but i worry about them, slow to accept change in the marekt, sony onky hoors itself because its really like fifty comapies under a brand name

Several months late but Nintendo is doing ok. They've returned to profitability and had a very strong year for 2014. The Wii U is still not a sales monster but it's keeping itself afloat now, and the Amiibos are doing well for Nintendo.

Not sure if the 3DS has enough units sold to be of any importance for a game like TPA for FS. If they cannot easily port the game to 3DS then FS will probably not make a profit out of it.

The big problem with the 3DS is screen resolution. Real pinball tables have a lot of tiny details that are important to reproduce like the writing on the flashing inserts that tells you WHY you are shooting for the flashing thing.

Well the New 3ds will be able to play a "remastered" version of a Wii game (Xenoblade Chronicles) and the old 3ds model won't, so apparently there might be a significant improvement in the hardware. If it can play a Wii game I don't see why it couldn't play a pinball game. Dosen't have to be up to PC standards, but seems like it should be possible. Also Farsight said they would release a collection of older tables and call it Pinball Hall of Fame (again), what happened to that? (and no I'm not talking about the first PHOF game on 3DS, they said they'd make a newer one.)

The new 3ds is the first handheld I've been excited for in a long time. They fix a lot of the 3d issues, but the screen is still going to be terrible, sadly. But as long as games are designed around that fact it should be ok.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
In the mean time, arch rival Zen Studios is taking 3DS owners money which FS is not interested in - with 3 titles: there's Zen, Marvel and Star Wars pinball in the eShop. Why wouldn't FS do the same? 4 tables per title, and compile each one with the N3DS SDK also and sell it for a buck more.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
In the mean time, arch rival Zen Studios is taking 3DS owners money which FS is not interested in - with 3 titles: there's Zen, Marvel and Star Wars pinball in the eShop. Why wouldn't FS do the same? 4 tables per title, and compile each one with the N3DS SDK also and sell it for a buck more.

The Zen recreations are poor, and I get the feeling they do not like working on 3DS. With each release they promised additional tables, but they have never materialised. Between the three games they only have around 11 tables on 3DS.

Farsight won't do the same because the 3DS isn't powerful enough for their software emulation. Even if the New 3DS would do it, it would really limit sales to make it for that variation only.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Agreed they can't use the same engine as being used on other devices, it will have to be programmed from the ground up (with PHoF:TWC as a start) by platform-experts that are able to deliver highly-optimized code for both CPU (ARM11) and GPU (PICA200) plus -as previously announced- limited to the scripted tables.

Other than that, I still don't see why they can't deliver several 4-table "mini" titles on eShop rather than go for a single cartridge-based title that is expensive to make and will also be hard or expensive to get a couple of months after release.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

Please take ANYTHING Bobby says with a huge pinch of salt.

No way will they get a 3DS version out in 2015. Not with the WiiU version still in development with no ETA, not with X360 still awaiting approval from M$ (if it ever gets there), not with the schedule of 1 table a month on the existing half-a-dozen platforms. Bringing a brand new platform to launch in 10 months? Ain't gonna happen.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Yeah, I was surprised by this statement, but Farsight do have a habit of announcing things way before they've decided if they're feasible or not. Just look at the new UI, Pinball After Dark, all the supported systems that are still yet to appear...

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Unfortunately, it probably will be taken that way.

I wonder if earlier builds of TPA would be suitable for it?

It will probably be taken that way because that's basically what he said. But we know by now not to take anything FS says as definite ;)

Personally I don't see it... it will only be playable on one variation of a console (userbase will be small for a long time, tonnes of regular 3DS users blocked out), and apparently the 3DS is a pain to program for. That's why Zen's 3DS output has been so minimal, they don't like coding on it (and the 3DS versions of their tables are probably the worst). I doubt Farsight would be different.

Last edited:

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Please take ANYTHING Bobby says with a huge pinch of salt.

No way will they get a 3DS version out in 2015. Not with the WiiU version still in development with no ETA, not with X360 still awaiting approval from M$ (if it ever gets there), not with the schedule of 1 table a month on the existing half-a-dozen platforms. Bringing a brand new platform to launch in 10 months? Ain't gonna happen.

Perhaps the Wii-U and 360 are further along than we think. That does seem adventurous, though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I personally would never buy it on the 3DS anyway.

That top screen is horrendous. It's a great system, and I love playing games on it but seriously, I could never play a game that relies on such miscule details on such a low resolution screen.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I have Zen Pinball on 3DS and indeed its REALLY hard to play due to the low resolution. I find pinball uncomfortable to play on PSVita too and that is a WAY higher resolution.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.