New physics on older tables - iOS

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
When are we likely to get the new physics in the older tables on iOS?

Has anything been said?

Saying that - they also need to work on these buggy releases since the new GUI on iOS too.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Yesterday's Gorgar update added the new physics, unless they were already there and I didn't notice before. I don't play Gorgar much. A few of the older tables have them, like Medieval Madness.

I don't think they are really bothered about it, tbh.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Thanks for posting this. Are you guys talking flipper physics, or ball physics? The last two iOS tables feature upgraded flipper physics (hooray!) that allow you to tap pass and cradle separate. Love it. Would like to see these added to older iOS tables

But, the ball physics on all tables, both iOS and and Steam are still totally uninspiring. I stopped buying tables after Season three. I'll buy more tables when they finally upgrade bail physics on all tables. Hopefully this will happen when Stern pinball arcade is released (or shortly after). Wish realistic ball physics were a priority for more players.

Or maybe they are, and we just got tired of asking for improvements...

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Thanks for posting this. Are you guys talking flipper physics, or ball physics? The last two iOS tables feature upgraded flipper physics (hooray!) that allow you to tap pass and cradle separate. Love it. Would like to see these added to older iOS tables

But, the ball physics on all tables, both iOS and and Steam are still totally uninspiring. I stopped buying tables after Season three. I'll buy more tables when they finally upgrade bail physics on all tables. Hopefully this will happen when Stern pinball arcade is released (or shortly after). Wish realistic ball physics were a priority for more players.

Or maybe they are, and we just got tired of asking for improvements...

Every table from Xenon and onward (Mid-Season 4) has 3.0 flipper physics on every platform. The Steam version received an update last August that updated the flipper physics on every table in TPA. We were told that older tables would be updated on other platforms, too, but so far only a few have actually been updated. On iOS, Big Shot, Central Park, Gorgar, Medieval Madness and Monster Bash have the 3.0 physics. I might be forgetting one or two, but none of the other pre-Xenon tables have been updated.

I understand your hesitation to buy more tables but Season 4 and 5 have some of the best tables in TPA, IMO. Of course, there's some bad ones too. Especially not fond of the Gottlieb Premieres, but I buy every table anyway.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Great info, HotHam. Thanks. The improved flipper physics really are impressive. Wish they'd remove the faux live-catch. Otherwise, just super.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Great info, HotHam. Thanks. The improved flipper physics really are impressive. Wish they'd remove the faux live-catch. Otherwise, just super.

No problem! If Farsight isn't going to communicate what's going on then it's up to us fans to suss it out.

The easiest way to tell if a table has the new physics is to watch the flipper as you mash the button. If the flipper instantly snaps to the down position with every press, that's old physics. If the flipper only goes down partially before flipping back up, that's new physics.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
No problem! If Farsight isn't going to communicate what's going on then it's up to us fans to suss it out.

The easiest way to tell if a table has the new physics is to watch the flipper as you mash the button. If the flipper instantly snaps to the down position with every press, that's old physics. If the flipper only goes down partially before flipping back up, that's new physics.

They have a pill for that

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, there are no new ball physics, only flipper. Stern Pinball Arcade is supposed to be getting new overall physics, making it's debut when the Steam version becomes available, not with the current Gear VR version. I wouldn't hold them to that though, have to really wait and see. There has been some re-tuning of a few tables, but do not mistake that for new physics.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Last I heard SPA was launching without upgraded ball physics. They said they'd upgrade the physics engine after launch (sounds a bit like the "cab support promise"). Major disappointment for a few of us.

Still, looking forward to ACDC and GB whenever those drop...

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Last I heard SPA was launching without upgraded ball physics. They said they'd upgrade the physics engine after launch (sounds a bit like the "cab support promise"). Major disappointment for a few of us.

Still, looking forward to ACDC and GB whenever those drop...

Sounds like Farsight to me!

So new physics in 2018? Maybe?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The reason there aren't upgraded physics for the launch of SPA is that it launched on mobile, specifically GearVR. What I have heard is that when it launches on Steam, all the new improvements will be in place. So let's not quite go down the negative alley and instead let's put some pressure on Stern in particular, to not release SPA until it is ready with all the bells and whistles.

Again, FarSight is a hired gun for this app, and Stern is in control of when and how the app is released. FarSight has a schedule for completion, but if Stern wants it out beforehand, all FS can do is rush to put together whatever they have.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
The reason there aren't upgraded physics for the launch of SPA is that it launched on mobile, specifically GearVR. What I have heard is that when it launches on Steam, all the new improvements will be in place. So let's not quite go down the negative alley and instead let's put some pressure on Stern in particular, to not release SPA until it is ready with all the bells and whistles.

Again, FarSight is a hired gun for this app, and Stern is in control of when and how the app is released. FarSight has a schedule for completion, but if Stern wants it out beforehand, all FS can do is rush to put together whatever they have.

I already have SPA for GearVR so I assumed Logan was referring to the other versions. I could see the physics being an issues for GearVR due to the VR overhead but not for the other versions, or even the PC VR version.

Maybe Stern is in control of when the next platform is released, but I have to think Farsight is responsible for releasing updates. I'm kind of upset that there hasn't been any updates at all for the GearVR version. I'm not talking about new tables, I'm talking about performance improvements. They are still selling tables that simply aren't playable at $5 a pop with no demo.

I think making MSF the free game was kind of deceitful as it's the only measure of performance and it runs far better than the three tables you can't try before you buy.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
It said in the newsletter that Dr.Dude had the new physics.

Someone earlier said MM had the physics, but I can't feel it. Anyone else?

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Dude has the new physics. MM has them, too.

You can easily tell just by rapidly flipping. With the older physics the flipper is either Up or Down. New flipper physics have travel, it will only go down partially during rapid flipping.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
Okay cool, thanks. I couldn't tell - like No can with other tables. Addams Family hasn't though, I don't think - I'll try your rapid flipping technique

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Dude has the new physics. MM has them, too.

You can easily tell just by rapidly flipping. With the older physics the flipper is either Up or Down. New flipper physics have travel, it will only go down partially during rapid flipping.
------------
Thanx for the MM info. I didn't know that.:eek:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Same here, nice to know! And the Troll Bomb issue is also fixed, which will make BftK that much easier to complete....

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts