New physics on older tables - iOS

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Okay cool, thanks. I couldn't tell - like No can with other tables. Addams Family hasn't though, I don't think - I'll try your rapid flipping technique

No, Addams does not have it. Everything from Xenon and after does. These are the older tables that have been updated, far as I can tell:

Big Shot
Central Park
Gorgar
Dr. Dude
MM
Monster Bash

... and I think that's it. Their claim about updating a few tables a month is total BS. MM and MB have had the new physics since last year. They've only updated 4 tables so far this year.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
See what you mean about the rapid flipping. I didn't realise Monster Bash had it.

I would have thought Addams Family would be a popular table and they would have updated it.

Thanks.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
No, Addams does not have it. Everything from Xenon and after does. These are the older tables that have been updated, far as I can tell:

Big Shot
Central Park
Gorgar
Dr. Dude
MM
Monster Bash

... and I think that's it. Their claim about updating a few tables a month is total BS. MM and MB have had the new physics since last year. They've only updated 4 tables so far this year.
I noticed that in Monster Bash, on a few occasions, I think I've hit the ramp perfectly, both aim and velocity, but then the ball seems to get caught in the curve and then rolls back down the ramp.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Glad to see player demand for updated flipper physics on older tables is alive and well. I really like them.

I encourage you guys to express equal interest in updated BALL physics. TPA = pinball flavored pong. So much potential for TPA to be a genuine pinball sim if they'd only improve this most important element of the game.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I noticed that in Monster Bash, on a few occasions, I think I've hit the ramp perfectly, both aim and velocity, but then the ball seems to get caught in the curve and then rolls back down the ramp.

Yeah, that happens all the time, on both the left and Frank ramps. That has nothing to do with the 3.0 physics though, that's been around forever. The 3.0 physics are only a few small tweaks to flipper behavior, nothing else on any table.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Glad to see player demand for updated flipper physics on older tables is alive and well. I really like them.

I encourage you guys to express equal interest in updated BALL physics. TPA = pinball flavored pong. So much potential for TPA to be a genuine pinball sim if they'd only improve this most important element of the game.

Physics are very taxing on CPUs. My guess is that the older platforms and possibly mobile are holding back ball physics. Pinball Arcade is already pretty poorly optimized. I have a midrange gaming laptop that struggles to keep a consistent 60fps in DX 11 TPA.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
Physics are very taxing on CPUs. My guess is that the older platforms and possibly mobile are holding back ball physics. Pinball Arcade is already pretty poorly optimized. I have a midrange gaming laptop that struggles to keep a consistent 60fps in DX 11 TPA.
that was already discussed many times before and it is well known fact - such things as ball physics in pinball game are not too complex for modern cpu (and gpu because they can handle such calculations too). if you not trust me - ask shaderbytes, who is here on forum and even made his own pinball versions of tommy and elvis.

Last edited:

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
I watch my kid play Skyrim. If that game can run on a decent graphics card, TPA can update ball physics. Come on FS! Everything else about your platform is great -- except the most important aspect!

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
@Kowaru I've played Shaderbyte's Tommy, it's really impressive!

I think it's entirely possible that Farsight doesn't have the best programmers. I have no idea how the PS4 version of SPA was released in the state it was with such obvious, glaring issues. Unless they knew things were broken and released it anyway. It's not like all that stuff broke after submission.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016

I think it's entirely possible that Farsight doesn't have the best programmers. I have no idea how the PS4 version of SPA was released in the state it was with such obvious, glaring issues. Unless they knew things were broken and released it anyway. It's not like all that stuff broke after submission.

hope Obernolte will loose his next re-election and will finally take look at what is going on in his company.

Zevious Zoquis

Jul 27, 2013

More like entirely probable I'd say. I've gotten a fair bit of enjoyment out of TPA over the years, but there's no denying it's a pretty janky piece of software. I don't get through very many play sessions longer than about 20 minutes without experiencing some issue. It's not really a "cheap" product either but unfortunately I think it's a small enough niche that the $ generated still isn't enough to pay top people to get things in order...

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012

I assume Stern had to approve it as well. Maybe they all thought it looked great? Hmmm

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I assume Stern had to approve it as well. Maybe they all thought it looked great? Hmmm

It's very puzzling. They got a lot of stuff fixed with the patch in two weeks, which is great, but it shouldn't have launched like that. Not when they are charging $10 for the new Sterns and you can't even demo the tables. I don't like the idea of taking my money under good faith that things will be fixed... sometime.

Not that Farsight is alone in this. Shipping unfinished or broken games that require a day 1 patch to get in order is the de rigueur.

I guess Farsight missed the memo on the "day 1" part.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Physics are very taxing on CPUs. My guess is that the older platforms and possibly mobile are holding back ball physics.
Not true at all. Proof: Pro Pinball had better physics 20 years ago on a 100 mhz Pentium, which is far less than even the worst phones of today.

It's the emulation that takes CPU power, not the physics.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts