New PSN tourney starting on 5/16

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, leaderboards are taking about 10 minutes to update instead of 5.

Also, guess what?

IT'S A TIMED TOURNEY!!

Was playing Monster Bash and all the sudden this loud cartoony voice said, "you'd better hurry up!". I thought to myself, never heard that call out on MB before! And then a few seconds later, that game was stopped. Bummer was, I had a mad bonus I didn't collect since it just freezes your score. Now I know, let the ball drain!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
this loud cartoony voice said, "you'd better hurry up!".

It's Gopher from NGG. :p ("Huuurryy uuup!")

Makes me laugh the first time I heard it (playing Monster Bash too).

Now I know, let the ball drain!

Well, I don't know... when I'm doing that, I feel myself kind of cheating.

On HD, for example, if you have plenty of extra balls, you could let drain all of they, for easy tens of millions, or to start easily the Harley Multiball.

Same on ST:TNG (3 in row to start each time a mission and launch the Final Frontier, or to quickly lock balls to start Borg Multiball)...

Not much in the flipper spirit...

So, a suggestion for the next time:

- Lose a ball makes you lose time (let's say 2 minutes per lose ball)

Or

- Disable the extra-balls, so no intentional drain, except one time before the end. (I would prefer this one)

Whatever, good job Farsight, it's a lot more interesting and fun with a time limit!

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
But when you've spent a bunch of time trying to get Lyman's Lament, only to not collect on it because you ran out of time and didn't let the ball drain....

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
IT'S A TIMED TOURNEY!!

Was playing Monster Bash and all the sudden this loud cartoony voice said, "you'd better hurry up!". I thought to myself, never heard that call out on MB before! And then a few seconds later, that game was stopped.
that voice scared the snot outta me, I thought someone was in my house. good to finally see the timed tourney on the ps3. thanks farsight!

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
There's a little countdown clock in the bottom left of the screen; first -I think- it wasn't there, then it was there but looks like it's half-hidden from view, then it appeared larger, then went back to the size I first saw it.

As well the intro screen is incorrect; it says the Gold level will be added in a month. FS probably never updated it.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i just noticed that at the end of every game the ROM resets. i don't like that, i usually don't care about such things but I'm not a one ball drain/quitter/startover player... im giving up for tonight, for some reason my heart isn't just into it as it once was

Last edited:

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
ofcourse I get the dreaded ROM hang on Star Trek during my best game ... I wonder what will happen when the timer runs out and if it will be able to take the score.

edit: did allow me to post my score: something around 9.900.000.000 ... top score is currently 10.500.000.000 ... I still had 6 minutes on the timer, I could have blown the score away if the ROM didn't crash :(

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I played a few tables last night. I'm new to the tournament deal. I personally didn't bother until now because the thought of playing some of these tables for 3+ hours to try and compete with others didn't sound appealing. I like the 20 min counter. I'd also be fine with the 1 play per table limit.

Did they make the tables harder when playing in tournament mode? Monster Bash in particular seems harder to me. When doing the Frankenstien Bash I couldn't get the another ball added after losing one.

I ended up #2 on the Harley table last night and I almost never play that one... :p
I'm not going to bother spamming high scoring methods. I'm just going to play them as I always do and if I do well (unlikely) then that's cool. If not, I will at least had fun playing.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I played a few hours last night. Love love love the timed tourney. Instead of just concentrating on one table and trying for a marathon, I found myself bouncing around. There's just this sense that every score is attainable now, so you keep trying. I didn't even mind playing Goin' Nuts that much, just because of knowing their was a time limit. I tried improving on my Monster Bash score to a wildly different outcome. Once again I spammed the scoop, which worked out really well in my earlier game, advancing all the monsters quickly and getting me ultimately to Monsters of Rock. This time I managed to start Lyman's, but only got to Monster Bash. Both times I timed out. Difference in score? About 600 million! So original score still stands.

By the end of the night, I had #1 overall in gold level. I just wanted to see my name up there once during the tourney! Now for the inevitable plummet.

Zett

Dec 22, 2013
Hi,
I am from Germany. I cannot play the tables of season 2 in the tournament :mad: I bought both seasons (pro version), but in the tournament there is the buy-button. Going to the store I could not download the tables.

Any hints, what I can do to get it running?

btw I played AFM in the tournament... it is the old table with the drain-bug :-/ but at least in 3D.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
The timed thing is great, it gives the casual player like me a chance to feel like we are actually good at pinball, with a lucky run. :)

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Wasnt really optimistic about this timed thing, but got to say it's a good idea, for avoiding marathons i wouldnt do on a mode where scores are not taken for leaderboard, but also because it forces you to think differently about strategies. First tournament i do so it's the bronze one, for now only 120 players, hope we'll have more challengers to incresae the qualifying olaces for silver tournament, even if for now it looks ok ;)

By the way: does somebody know how this "all time rank" works?

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
98 players in Silver Tournament.

I guess a lot of people aren't even aware there is a tournament.

I thought that with the megapatch, FS could have implemented something on the Tournament icon ("New" or "Active").

fromduc said:
By the way: does somebody know how this "all time rank" works?

With the current ranking, we can suppose this:

As Tough_killer is first with 800 points after 4 tournaments, and as he won all of they, you earn 200 points if you finish first in the gold tourney (for the first tournament, there wasn't gold, silver or bronze yet).
Maybe less if you win the silver or bronze tourney.

For the following ranks after the 3rd, maybe it depends of your average points (on all tables):

Gold:

1st - 200 points

2nd - 175 points

3rd - 150 points with an average of 85 points (for example)

4rd - 146 points with an average of 83 points

and so on.

For comparison, the total of points awarded on a table given your rank: 1st - 100pts ; 2nd - 85pts ; 3rd- 80 points.

For silver tournament, the first rank maybe win only 100 points, and in bronze, 50 pts.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
awright! i only noticed the iOS tourney just on the last day, but i prefer playing on ps3 anyways, so really glad that this one followed up shortly after the other. maybe i'll have a chance at the bronze; i did some of my best games so far on a few tables (goin' nuts, even), so last i saw i was about #32! woeful in comparison to the pros, but it'll be fun just to try. still practicing nudging; i still haven't gotten too good at it, although i was able to save some that were floating just above the flippers, threatening to head straight down.

i maybe should have played my favorite/best tables first, then left the non-faves for afterwards; i did the reverse and got maybe too much flipper-fatigue by the end - i should've gotten more out of monster bash and mars than i did.

big_kick

Jun 10, 2013
I think that:
Only tier tournament is counted (First tournament is not tier tournament and not counted).
Winner in silver tier earn 200 points. 2nd in silver earn 199. And so on.
Winner in gold tier earn 300 points. 2nd in gold earn 299.
Tough_killer won first silver tournament (there was no gold tournament in first tounament), 2nd gold tournament, 3rd gold tournament.
200 (in first) + 300 (in 2nd) + 300 (in 3rd) = 800.

big_kick

Jun 10, 2013
About tournament timer issue...

When you start a game, the tournament timer is small.
If you pause and restart the game, then "RESUMING" timer will appear and the tournament timer becomes big as RESUMING timer.
When you pause the game again or a game ends, tournament timer becomes small as start.

Wulftown

Dec 8, 2012
98 players in Silver Tournament.

I guess a lot of people aren't even aware there is a tournament.

I thought that with the megapatch, FS could have implemented something on the Tournament icon ("New" or "Active").

I think there are around 200 now in silver. I agree though, there is no way to know about the tournament unless you check the boards. I check them all the time and I almost missed the last android one.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts