New season 5 tables are out on the PS3

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Well... the SPA announcement seems to be also the death act of the PS3/Vita support, as SPA is not announced on them.

But the worst news is that FS reveals the upcoming addition of Physics 4.0 in SPA (exclusively?).

Given the consoles didn't even have the physics 3.0 on the majority of tables (56 tables on PS3 about 65 available), nothing is less sure than the physics 3.0 addition on PS3/Vita.

The only hope is that SPA is announced on Wii U (!) although the console is pretty dead, and has (and will have) surely a lot less TPA users than PS3 and Vita.

Weird.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Well... the SPA announcement seems to be also the death act of the PS3/Vita support, as SPA is not announced on them.

But the worst news is that FS reveals the upcoming addition of Physics 4.0 in SPA (exclusively?).

Given the consoles didn't even have the physics 3.0 on the majority of tables (56 tables on PS3 about 65 available), nothing is less sure than the physics 3.0 addition on PS3/Vita.

The only hope is that SPA is announced on Wii U (!) although the console is pretty dead, and has (and will have) surely a lot less TPA users than PS3 and Vita.

Weird.

I think it's about time. PS3/Vita has been holding them back. The Vita has been especially bad.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I think it's about time. PS3/Vita has been holding them back. The Vita has been especially bad.

Holding them back? With an update every 6 months?

Vita is especially bad because it's a cross-buy version, i.e. free if you buy the PS3 version. And given that Vita sales are bad, FS just doesn't give a s***. Simple as that.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
They should finish out season 5 on PS3/Vita and then drop the Vita support. At least lots of people actually own a PS3, so they could maybe go another season or two on that.

But then again, the PS3 has mongoloid hardware that's known to be hard to program for.....might as well drop it too. I imagine any profits from PS3 is dwindling fast, and the Vita makes them even less, with the cross-buy. They have to be getting to a point where their dev costs exceed their profits on PS3/Vita (especially Vita). So few people bother with Vita as it is, I doubt many people would be that upset about it if it got dropped.

Keep in mind, the only full versions of TPA that I have are the PS3/PS4 and Vita versions. (my laptop sucks for games) I plan to buy any and all tables they release for those systems, but I wouldn't be upset if they dropped the Vita. Even dropping the PS3 wouldn't really bother me, as long as they fixed the sound issues on PS4 first. But I know many still have PS3 as their primary console, which is why I say maybe another season or two on PS3 before dropping support.

Just seems practical....

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
At least lots of people actually own a PS3, so they could maybe go another season or two on that.

The 6th season is still planned on PS3, according to FlippyFloppy (can't find the post).

But then again, the PS3 has mongoloid hardware that's known to be hard to program for.....might as well drop it too. They have to be getting to a point where their dev costs exceed their profits on PS3/Vita (especially Vita).

Well, it depends. Look Zen... The game looks exactly the same on all platforms (and moreover on PS3, it's only 720p).

The problem with the PS3/Vita TPA version, is that it's a lousy port of the mobile version (especially on Vita).

On PS3, FS added a filter in 1080p which makes the graphics smoother, but it induces an awful input lag. Back to 720p, the filter is desactivated, and the graphics become a lot more grainy and aliased. But there's no more input lag. Some PS3 tables are just as hideous as they are on mobiles (Earthshaker, PotO).

For the dev costs, as I said earlier, TPA consoles versions are just a cash grabber for FS. Bugs have been for the most part never fixed, game updates are very sparse (6 months delay, physics 3.0 on older tables when?), there's no optimization like on the other devices (look at the mess on PS4...).

But in the meantime, prices are yet the same...

But I know many still have PS3 as their primary console, which is why I say maybe another season or two on PS3 before dropping support.

PS3 version has been during a long time the only way to play TPA on consoles, so there's still be a significant user base (+ the fact that if you want to play it on PS4, you have to rebuy EVERYTHING). A 6th season sounds logical to me, maybe not a 7th though (that's not even sure there will be a 7th season on all platforms).

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
right on johni ! even tho I already knew the sound effect I couldn't help clicking it.
pretty sad situation eh?
I played a few tables on ps4 and I have no intentions of buying a ps4 AND a whole new library of tables that I already own.

the scary thing is, I think when we do get an update, it may be only a few tables instead of 6-8 tables we are already behind.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
right on johni ! even tho I already knew the sound effect I couldn't help clicking it.
pretty sad situation eh?
I played a few tables on ps4 and I have no intentions of buying a ps4 AND a whole new library of tables that I already own.

the scary thing is, I think when we do get an update, it may be only a few tables instead of 6-8 tables we are already behind.

I couldn't resist, it's the sound that came to mind.
I do intend to buy a PS4, just have to wait first and see what the Neo aka PS 4.5 is about.

PS3 is already $39.92 behind now and not sure I'll even load up on TPA tables for the PS4 when I come around in purchasing the PS4.
psssstt, also from what I have read, there are still a lot of problems with the tables on the PS4.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The next PS3 update will decide if I'm done or not with TPA.

If after several months (7 months!), the next update only contains the new tables data, and only that (no physics 3.0 on older tables, no bug fixes -like the BH and FH leaderboards still broken, the jump rope still broken on TCP-, etc), I see no reason to continue to support TPA and FS.

And as the PS4 is also a mess (even more than on PS3!), I see no reason to rebuy EVERYTHING on PS4.

Oh wait... I don't own a PS4. :p

Last edited:

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
Saw this over at fb:

We do not have an ETA just yet, but we will announce it here on the Facebook page once it is confirmed and when we release you will get all of the tables up to the current release.

Dunno if this also applies to PS3 since this response was towards a x1 inquiry.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i hate bumping this thread.
I just wanna play some no fear.
high speed 2, Indiana jones, and no fear rekindled my love for pinball in the 90's

I dunno what else to say???

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
The plan seems to be to release the entire rest of S5 in one go for the PS3.There usually is a gap of what 4-6 months between the most current mobile and the subsequent PS3 release, right?TX-Sector was released about a month ago for mobile, right?Hence maybe still 5 months until the rest of S5 is released for PS3?.Maybe painting it black, i dunno.My confidence in Farsight caring too much about us PS3 users is limited.They are working on too many fronts, spread too thin and always seem to be lagging behind.They already have the money from the Season Pass customers, i don't think they are in a hurry.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
It's a safe bet that we will get the new GUI too. At its current stage it will take at least another 2 weeks to iron out the bugs, so late July / beginning of August would be the earliest submission date to Sony.

But: isn't the release date of Dr Who set for September? Maybe FS wants to include that table too so that backers can't complain. This would push the release date to what, October?

Oh, the excitement of the early years when we couldn't wait to finally play Monster Bash, Attack from Mars or White Water...

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
It's a safe bet that we will get the new GUI too.

It seems that the new GUI implementation requires to update all the tables in the same process. So, FlippyFloppy stated that they will took the opportunity to implement physics 3.0 on the older tables.

I wonder how FS (and Sony) will handle this. If this happens...

Note: but reading Mobiles and PC forums, the new UI seems to totally break the game (awful clunky UI + billions of news bug arose on all updated tables)

Last edited:

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Makes sense, Tann!

The GUI is not that bad, in my opinion people are overreacting. It gets the job done and you spend so little time there that I couldn't care less.
They need to fix the bugs of course, i mean scoring a top highscore and having the app freeze on you is really painful and would be a disaster on the console. I also wonder why settings are not saved (like sound or sort preferences).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.