New UI Open Beta

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Nope, it has not been made available yet to the public. Must be some kinks to work out before we get to play with it. It's an ambitious interface overhaul, and it doesn't take much to set things back a bit with such a small, though incredibly hard-working, group of developers.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Nope, it has not been made available yet to the public. Must be some kinks to work out before we get to play with it. It's an ambitious interface overhaul, and it doesn't take much to set things back a bit with such a small, though incredibly hard-working, group of developers.

Long overdue it certainly is. Third time may be the charm for TPA's UI. I didn't like the first UI, and the second one wasn't much of an improvement IMO. I like the more streamlined look, and I look forward to trying the new features.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
What did the first UI look like?

It was awful

And the first TPA UI:

mzl.wldygnra.320x480-75.jpg

When the current ui came out, there was a lot of backlash about how ugly it is, and now I am seeing the same sort of complaints for the upcoming one. I guess TPA fans don't like change. Personally, I think the upcoming ui looks better than the current ui, which is better than the old ui.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah, I have to get used to the tiny ball logos I guess, but the promised features sound great. I just hope they don't screw it up for us cab people.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I think the new UI looks far worse than the original UI which I agree was awful. We'll see.
I'm hoping the delay in releasing it is because they realized how bad it looks and went back to the drawing board.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I think the new UI looks far worse than the original UI which I agree was awful. We'll see.
I'm hoping the delay in releasing it is because they realized how bad it looks and went back to the drawing board.

Back to the drawing board? Trust me, that is the last thing we want FarSight to do. We can't wait another three years for an upgrade to the UI.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The PC beta is open to the public. You have to right click Pinball Arcade in your Steam library, go properties, and then select the Beta tab.

We just interview Lee and Ben of FarSight for our next podcast. Lee did the graphics, Ben the programming. They said we'll be in beta for probably a month, and they are looking for as much input as possible. They want to know how intuitive it is to use, how it functions, any problems it currently has. I've barely messed with it, but it is a huge improvement in functionality over the current UI. It is built with the ability to upgrade, as opposed to the current one that had no room to grow.

At the moment, the DX9 version is more stable than the DX11 version. So make sure to try out both if you find a problem on one.

Negasonic

Feb 16, 2014
The PC beta is open to the public. You have to right click Pinball Arcade in your Steam library, go properties, and then select the Beta tab.

Cant get this to work. I have switched back and forth (between beta and no beta) a couple of times and restarted Steam in between. Its supposed to download some new files I guess, but theres no action on that front... so far.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Cant get this to work. I have switched back and forth (between beta and no beta) a couple of times and restarted Steam in between. Its supposed to download some new files I guess, but theres no action on that front... so far.

Same here. It may be listed in Steam, but it doesn't do anything.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
UWi47Eu.png

remember the last time it took them to get a DX11 beta into the hands of the public? Hope it happens so I have something new to do this weekend.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013

We just interview Lee and Ben of FarSight for our next podcast. Lee did the graphics, Ben the programming. They said we'll be in beta for probably a month, and they are looking for as much input as possible. They want to know how intuitive it is to use, how it functions, any problems it currently has. I've barely messed with it, but it is a huge improvement in functionality over the current UI. It is built with the ability to upgrade, as opposed to the current one that had no room to grow.

At the moment, the DX9 version is more stable than the DX11 version. So make sure to try out both if you find a problem on one.

Is it CPU intensive?

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Judging it by the screenshots it looks less intensive than what we currently have. Pretty much just a grey box with small icons. Almost no art to it to speak of at all.

Given the first two UI's, that may be a good thing.

Although Mike said there were "major issues with the build". Not good when those issues are caused by something so minimally graphic-intensive.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Given the first two UI's, that may be a good thing.

Although Mike said there were "major issues with the build". Not good when those issues are caused by something so minimally graphic-intensive.

Graphics don't play a part with build issues. We're talking about a front end that mines a lot of data. They rewrote code, dumping more than half of what they previously had written and starting from scratch. This is designed to allow the game interface to grow if need be. This affects tournaments, can eventually allow for head to head, has all the sorting functions, etc. All of that pulls interacts with the game proper, which is why there're some issues. This wasn't a slapping some new paint on the house, but more of a tearing the stucco off the walls and getting down to the studs. The house is still intact, it just needs rewiring in some places, new walls in others.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Graphics don't play a part with build issues. We're talking about a front end that mines a lot of data. They rewrote code, dumping more than half of what they previously had written and starting from scratch. This is designed to allow the game interface to grow if need be. This affects tournaments, can eventually allow for head to head, has all the sorting functions, etc. All of that pulls interacts with the game proper, which is why there're some issues. This wasn't a slapping some new paint on the house, but more of a tearing the stucco off the walls and getting down to the studs. The house is still intact, it just needs rewiring in some places, new walls in others.

That... that was beautiful.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts