New UI Public Beta

Teamski

Jun 19, 2016
Hey guys! I am absolutely perplexed and frustrated. I have a Pinballbulbs virtual pinball machine. Once the beta came out, I cannot for the life of me, get the game out of windowed mode even with the options set to full screen. Is there anybody else out there that has this problem? Any sort of fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Ski

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Forget his 70's vs. 90's reference. The point was the new one looks like software from 20 years ago, the old UI is leaps and bounds better from a presentation, artwork, style and theme perspective.

Thanks, that's what I meant.

But the palm trees in the background definitely had a 60-70's vibe. ^^

island-vector.jpg

20130420-095218.jpg

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
The new UI is disappointing, some reasons have been mentioned already. I like that you can sort tables by goals, but there is no inverse sort option.

In the main game list, if I use the mouse wheel to scroll the menu (it works, someone earlier posted it didn't) I can then not select things with the mouse. The control of item selection is removed from the X/Y of the mouse and put into the scroll. So if I were to click on a table, it will only open the one that is highlighted. If I click onto one that isn't highlighted, it doesn't matter. So when I played it the other day, I couldn't play a table I wanted. Exiting and re-entering the menu didn't make a difference. I resorted to clicking the Random Game button on the main menu. :(

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
The game has been crashing on me periodically since the new update. I noticed the pattern of it happening sometimes when I reached a standard/wizard goal. If you require any further info please message me.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
The game has been crashing on me periodically since the new update. I noticed the pattern of it happening sometimes when I reached a standard/wizard goal. If you require any further info please message me.

Try going to the Public Beta in your Steam Properties. It should help resolve the crashing issues.

Teamski

Jun 19, 2016
In addition to terminally ganking my cabinet set-up, (and this definitely happened after the update) Star Trek now has a problem of losing track of drained balls. I get it about half the time now, making the table neigh unplayable. I hope this gets fixed. Anybody else getting this problem?

-Ski

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
I play mostly on 360 and Wii U and never on mobile. However, really LOVING the new steam UI. I may get some more playing time on PC than ever before.

Draco1962

Dec 31, 2015
This new UI is not very pincab friendly and breaks the integrated support for TPA in PinballX. While not a huge fan of the wheel, I think that it was worlds away easier to adapt to cabinet support than a touchscreen-centric menu.

Last edited:

Josh Chase

Oct 22, 2014
I dont know if its my resolution on my laptop but I cant even select items with my mouse
Also all tables I own I bought as pro but not all are listed as pro

EnergyOne

Oct 25, 2014
Using Dxtory, I took a screenshot at launching the game using DX11 with 1080p rez in settings. I then took another screenshot after hitting alt+enter twice.

Launch screenshot was 1600x1200 rez for some odd reason.
Alt+enter twice screenshot was the normal 1920x1080 like it should be.

Teamski

Jun 19, 2016
Does anybody else have a problem with a 1/2" gap along the sides of the table to the edge of the window? I can't seem to change the resolution and haven't been able to do so since the beta came out. This is in windows and fullscreen mode.

-Ski

Kuripakk

Sep 27, 2014
Overall I think the new UI is an improvement, particularly because you get a better overview and it's easier to select tables than scrolling through a long list one item at a time. With regards to the visuals I don't think they look good (what is that weird pinball indy car?) but I've kind of learned to take an "it is what it is" approach when it comes to FarSight and graphic design. However I do have a number of issues with the functionality which I'd rather see adressed, I'll repost my opinions from Steam:

- The UI is very scattered now and inconsistent. Having buttons and functions both in a top menu bar, a bottom menu bar, to the left, to the right, in a middle section etc. becomes very confusing and you have to look for what options are available on every new type of screen.

- I also use a controller and because of the button placement it's very unclear where you will land if you try to navigate or use the menus (unless you use the controller to move the mouse cursor but that's kind of cheap) and because the menu seems to remember the selection position of some menu "levels" in the table selection/main screen, the selection jumps around a lot making it even more confusing.

- The game also seems to have major issues correctly registering D-pad presses from my 360 controller because often it will either not register, or double-register, making it difficult to navigate selections and menus. Sometimes it also auto-skips the little table info splash screen and goes directly to the game, because it registered one press of the A button as two?

- Still think it has a bit too many levels and button presses to get where you want. First there's a couple splash screens you have to get by. Then there's some kind of main menu with only a couple of options, of which none interest me, but that still takes up the whole screen.

I think the table grid should be the main game screen, not the above, or the two should be consolidated. At the very least the full table grid should be one of the big buttons on this screen, not hidden away in a tiny little button up in the corner (especially not right next to the "Quit" button!)

Those table info boxes that you have to press through from the grid also feel like they could be shown immediately to the right like in FX2 and not be a separate menu level.

- Different sorting in the grid is nice but is not that useful when there are so many tables and they're all thrown into a pile. The default A-Z grid could be left as it is, but for the others the tables should be grouped under different sections (without having to click through to another level if that needs to be said!) So you can immediately see which tables belong to which season, which are the Williams and Bally tables, the year sorting should be grouped into decades and the rating into the amount of stars. An invert sort might also be a good idea.

If the section titles (descriptions) were to the left you would at least not have to waste so much vertical space. Though I still think the table icons could stand to be a bit smaller than they are now which would also allow the table info to be shown on the same screen. And doing away with the top/bottom bars would increase the vertical space available, those icons could be moved to the same level as the sort options, or they could be removed entirely from the table selection screen (except for a back button) and moved to the main screen, if you're going to have them as separate screens anyway.

I did a very quick mockup of what I was talking about:
TGBeVl4.png

That's an invert sort icon in the top left. Perhaps it's too much to have all the table info displayed immediately after all, in which case that part could just stay as it is.

I also find the button layout in the table "attract mode" annoying/confusing in the way the they're spread out in the four corners on two different menu selection rows/bars. There's no reason they couldn't be more centered and on the same row, and with a controller/keyboard you could use the flipper keys to change between custom balls instead of using the direction keys, which might even be more logical now that I think about it.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Your Gottlieb row is too small.

Seriously, some great suggestions you made here.
Especially with menus being scattered and with too many levels. Not user friendly...

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
[MENTION=4765]Kuripakk[/MENTION]
You probably put more thought into that one post than Farsight put into the entire design process.

Sent from my SM-G935V

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Overall I think the new UI is an improvement, particularly because you get a better overview and it's easier to select tables than scrolling through a long list one item at a time. With regards to the visuals I don't think they look good (what is that weird pinball indy car?) but I've kind of learned to take an "it is what it is" approach when it comes to FarSight and graphic design. However I do have a number of issues with the functionality which I'd rather see adressed, I'll repost my opinions from Steam:

- The UI is very scattered now and inconsistent. Having buttons and functions both in a top menu bar, a bottom menu bar, to the left, to the right, in a middle section etc. becomes very confusing and you have to look for what options are available on every new type of screen.

- I also use a controller and because of the button placement it's very unclear where you will land if you try to navigate or use the menus (unless you use the controller to move the mouse cursor but that's kind of cheap) and because the menu seems to remember the selection position of some menu "levels" in the table selection/main screen, the selection jumps around a lot making it even more confusing.

- The game also seems to have major issues correctly registering D-pad presses from my 360 controller because often it will either not register, or double-register, making it difficult to navigate selections and menus. Sometimes it also auto-skips the little table info splash screen and goes directly to the game, because it registered one press of the A button as two?

- Still think it has a bit too many levels and button presses to get where you want. First there's a couple splash screens you have to get by. Then there's some kind of main menu with only a couple of options, of which none interest me, but that still takes up the whole screen.

I think the table grid should be the main game screen, not the above, or the two should be consolidated. At the very least the full table grid should be one of the big buttons on this screen, not hidden away in a tiny little button up in the corner (especially not right next to the "Quit" button!)

Those table info boxes that you have to press through from the grid also feel like they could be shown immediately to the right like in FX2 and not be a separate menu level.

- Different sorting in the grid is nice but is not that useful when there are so many tables and they're all thrown into a pile. The default A-Z grid could be left as it is, but for the others the tables should be grouped under different sections (without having to click through to another level if that needs to be said!) So you can immediately see which tables belong to which season, which are the Williams and Bally tables, the year sorting should be grouped into decades and the rating into the amount of stars. An invert sort might also be a good idea.

If the section titles (descriptions) were to the left you would at least not have to waste so much vertical space. Though I still think the table icons could stand to be a bit smaller than they are now which would also allow the table info to be shown on the same screen. And doing away with the top/bottom bars would increase the vertical space available, those icons could be moved to the same level as the sort options, or they could be removed entirely from the table selection screen (except for a back button) and moved to the main screen, if you're going to have them as separate screens anyway.

I did a very quick mockup of what I was talking about:
TGBeVl4.png

That's an invert sort icon in the top left. Perhaps it's too much to have all the table info displayed immediately after all, in which case that part could just stay as it is.

I also find the button layout in the table "attract mode" annoying/confusing in the way the they're spread out in the four corners on two different menu selection rows/bars. There's no reason they couldn't be more centered and on the same row, and with a controller/keyboard you could use the flipper keys to change between custom balls instead of using the direction keys, which might even be more logical now that I think about it.
It's fine as a landscape layout but not for portrait?

Consider that the table icons in the new UI are 4 per row in portrait. You'd be taking up a heck of a lot of real estate to implement that layout.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts