Newsletter #13 riddle for April release

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I don't remember seeing a Central Park machine, but I get where you're going with that. I know of 3 machines that were in the offices that were of the new variety that haven't been officially announced. Obviously they've bought more in the 3 months since I was there. We know they have a Centaur up there now too. I think a table like Central Park would come together quickly though, as opposed to an Earthshaker. I also know that when possible, Bobby likes to pair an alpha numeric with a DMD. Space Shuttle being the former, I gotta believe the new will be a DMD table. And for me, the first thing I thought of when thinking the opposite of space was water, because they actually are kinda the same yet completely different. You know, NASA practicing in water and all, the ocean being just as undiscovered as space (or at least according to James Cameron!).

So who knows. What I do know is Space Shuttle will be the 'B' table for me, as I've never cared much for it. Maybe if it were Space Station I'd be happier.

Space Shuttle is not alphanumeric. It's plain ol' numeric.

The only alphanumeric games in TPA so far are Taxi, Elvira, and Dr. Dude.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
I'm very excited for Space Shuttle. Now the question seems to be whether the new release will be White Water, which we know Farsight has, Earthshaker, which would be a pleasant surprise, or an entirely different table. I suspect we'll know before long.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Shutyertrap, I am curious. Can you confirm if Farsight had a Central Park machine when you visited? If they did not have an Earthshaker, it will probably be Whitewater. Maybe they are going for a black and white type of thing. If they did get an Earthshaker since December, I don't understand why they would rush it when they have all of these other tables waiting to be digitized. But I still believe that Earthshaker fits the clue perfectly.

These are tables FS has saved on a hard drive that they drag back out shine it up with new graphics and use new physics engine.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
And I'm pretty sure they had a Big Shot in that video where they took Twilight Zone apart.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Since they have a Genie, you'd figure they'd take the time to make the PS3 version look better. It seriously hurts my eyes.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Since they have a Genie, you'd figure they'd take the time to make the PS3 version look better. It seriously hurts my eyes.

Yea Jeff. I know it's off the topic of this thread but what's the deal with the PS3 versions? Why do they look so much different from the xbox gameplay videos? Is the PS3 still so much of a pain to develop for even after all this time? I don't know if someone got that question in for Bobby. If not, I'm gonna have to ask about that next time. There's no reason the PS3 can't look as good as these youtube videos that FarSight releases months ahead of time.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Noone has brought this up, but White Water is another Nordman table. We just got Dr. Dude which is another of his designs....Hmmm.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I don't remember seeing a Central Park machine, but I get where you're going with that. I know of 3 machines that were in the offices that were of the new variety that haven't been officially announced. Obviously they've bought more in the 3 months since I was there. We know they have a Centaur up there now too. I think a table like Central Park would come together quickly though, as opposed to an Earthshaker. I also know that when possible, Bobby likes to pair an alpha numeric with a DMD. Space Shuttle being the former, I gotta believe the new will be a DMD table. And for me, the first thing I thought of when thinking the opposite of space was water, because they actually are kinda the same yet completely different. You know, NASA practicing in water and all, the ocean being just as undiscovered as space (or at least according to James Cameron!).

So who knows. What I do know is Space Shuttle will be the 'B' table for me, as I've never cared much for it. Maybe if it were Space Station I'd be happier.

I miss those days. The trend now seems DMD + EM. Would love to see a return to the Aplha Numeric / DMD combo.

I think Dr. Dude + Firepower was the first ever SS / Alphanumeric combo. And while I liked the tables some thought it wasn't a good value. Earthshaker is a strong table though, but I really wish it were paired up with whirlwind. It's just too perfect to have those two together.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say its gunna be Earthshaker and Space Shuttle. I'm happy either way though.

Now with space shuttle done please, let's get pinbot and whirlwind !! And with proper emulation :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I miss those days. The trend now seems DMD + EM. Would love to see a return to the Aplha Numeric / DMD combo.

I think Dr. Dude + Firepower was the first ever SS / Alphanumeric combo. And while I liked the tables some thought it wasn't a good value. Earthshaker is a strong table though, but I really wish it were paired up with whirlwind. It's just too perfect to have those two together.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say its gunna be Earthshaker and Space Shuttle. I'm happy either way though.

Now with space shuttle done please, let's get pinbot and whirlwind !! And with proper emulation :)

We only have 2 EMs in TPA: Big Shot and Central Park, and there were 2 regular table packs between them (plus TZ and STTNG), so I wouldn't call the DMD + EM pairing a "trend". I think it's going to be at least a couple months before we see another EM, but probably longer than that since there are no other confirmed EMs at the moment.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Bleh sorry. I just don't know what to call Genie. Not an EM, not really a SS like say Gorgar. What do you say then, steel rail EM? Early SS? And yeah if you include AfM + Genie I'd certainly call it a recent trend. It's been a while since we've seen an alpha/DMD combo (October to be exact).

inspector42

May 27, 2012
I'm really hoping for whitewater. Played it recently and found it really enjoyable. I love Nordman because his tables just feel different. Not a ton of formulaic thinking there.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Bleh sorry. I just don't know what to call Genie. Not an EM, not really a SS like say Gorgar. What do you say then, steel rail EM? Early SS? And yeah if you include AfM + Genie I'd certainly call it a recent trend. It's been a while since we've seen an alpha/DMD combo (October to be exact).

...it's SS. If it's using solid-state electronics, it's SS. That's how it works. It has nothig to due with the rules or complexity of the table. It's all in the hardware.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah. Genie and Gorgar came out the exact same year. You can easily tell both are SS by the digital sounds and lack of mechanical score reels.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.