Nexus 7 (2013) replacement

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I have a Samsung S2 8", and while it plays TPA just fine there are a couple of things to bear in mind:
1. It's a Samsung, and unless you're prepared to root your device (and wait ages for updates to be pushed), be aware it comes with all that lovely Samsung bloatware.
2. It's 4:3, and TPA is better optimized for 16:9.

How much are Shields going for these days anyway?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Shields are $199 and Samsung discounted to $247.

I got my S2 for $200, effectively half of - the store had it knocked down to $300, and I had a $100 gift card.

I think you might do better with a shield, for gaming purposes it is still the most powerful tablet out there, I think.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Shield K1 is highly recommended and the Shield Controller is just amazing.

It just got an update giving it Vulkan compatibility this week too.
Even more graphics capability for Developers that get on board with this.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
a variation of the k1 will apprently be powering the new nintendo console...tho youll always get more pmmph with the single standard spec(which is why these split console generations are very weird)

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Just got my Nvidia Shield today. Big improvement over the old Nexus 7 (2012). I had been playing TPA on my phone because my phone now has better resolution than the Nexus. Phone is awkward, though.

In any event, the Shield so far exceeds my expectations. Fast, no extra crap to wade through, and looks great. Been playing TPA non-stop.

I'd been casually looking for a new tablet the past couple months, but with the upcoming EM pack I had to make it a priority. For $199, I think this tablet is hard to beat.

Thanks for all the advice and discussion here.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I'm still using the original nexus 6 :D Still works great.
what about the galaxy tab?

hmm Ok so I need to correct my above statement. I'm still using the original Nexus 7 (2012). It was starting to grind so just reflashed it with 4.4.4 (I need to do this once a year to keep it running smoothly). Runs great now - no issues with TPA, although my battery life isn't exactly stella.

Talking of battery life, what is the Shield like on batteries? Lots of choice for tablets at the moment. Kindles are super cheap, new TAB coming out this year too. I'm going to try and get another year out of my Nexus 7 before upgrading.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
hmm Ok so I need to correct my above statement. I'm still using the original Nexus 7 (2012). It was starting to grind so just reflashed it with 4.4.4 (I need to do this once a year to keep it running smoothly). Runs great now - no issues with TPA, although my battery life isn't exactly stella.

Talking of battery life, what is the Shield like on batteries? Lots of choice for tablets at the moment. Kindles are super cheap, new TAB coming out this year too. I'm going to try and get another year out of my Nexus 7 before upgrading.
The Shield battery life is dependent on how hard you push the GPU. TPA doesn't really stretch it much, but if you play something demanding at 60fps, it'll get hot enough to make toast on the back of, and can go from full to flat in an hour.
But that's all that graphics crunch for you. It's still an awesome tablet even coming up on three years old this August.

My son has taken over my original N7 2012, and it's still going strong, and very much loved.
I keep it on Kitkat too, and it's a bit like 'Triggers Broom' in that it's had two new batteries now, and some other bits too. But you can't knock it. Awesome tablet.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Glad your old Nexus still going strong. Just took mine out of its case - looks like brand new still. Original battery still giving me a decent amount of game time (light usage over the years). Certainly a great purchase, although to be fair I only really use it for TPA these days. Phone used for non gaming activities.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The Shield battery life is dependent on how hard you push the GPU. TPA doesn't really stretch it much, but if you play something demanding at 60fps, it'll get hot enough to make toast on the back of, and can go from full to flat in an hour.

Yeah I don't get much more than 2h out of original Shield Tablet if I'm playing something like Sky Force Reloaded. TPA gets about 4 from memory.

Just treat the battery life as a reminder to take a gaming break. 😉

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Glad your old Nexus still going strong. Just took mine out of its case - looks like brand new still. Original battery still giving me a decent amount of game time (light usage over the years). Certainly a great purchase, although to be fair I only really use it for TPA these days. Phone used for non gaming activities.
£8.67 for a new one...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1913...3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1181837973707

Very easy to fit...
[video]https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=mchT2nT7-kw
[/video]

Just for reference if you need it.

alexb

Nov 5, 2013
Hi Guys,

just to let you know I have a nexus 7 (2013) original shield tablet i am looking to sell both are 32gb and lte unlocked in great condition.
The nexus has a loose micro usb port but charges fine only has an issue being seen by pc making intermittent connection, shield is in box with a black poetic case.

I'm in the uk looking for 75 pounds for the nexus and 150 for the shield.

cheers

Alex

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Is the Nvidia Shield K1 still a good recommendation, including for use with SPA? Google never did come out with a new Nexus 7, and there's some good prices on ebay for the Shield.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
What are the alternatives for the NVIDIA Shield? With 3 different devices sent by NVIDIA I can't get a stable WiFi connection to my router or DLAN Hotspot. Replacing the router didn't help as well, tried that 2x as well (and I'm VERY frustrated, looking at the hours I wasted to get this to work). Since NVIDIA refuses to take back the device and give back my money, I can't recommend this device at all, which is a shame.

So, since my Galaxy Note 10.1 seems to have taken it's final breath, I'm looking for a replacement. I would like to run TPA and SPA obviously and it would be nice to get Android 7 (although this limits the number of devices, so it's not a must-have) as well as LTE. I'm not 100% sure I want another 10.1 screen, as these devices are quite heavy. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
There are 2 things you can try

1) open up settings>WiFi>advanced and turn off: Network notification
Ethernet override
Scanning always available
And set keep WiFi on during sleep to 'never'

2) set the wifi to only connect on 2.4 Ghz

I have an old 32 GB LTE Shield tablet that would be intermittently dodgy on wifi but doing both the above has made my wifi rock solid.

The only issues I have now are the problems with Nvidia forcing end users that have an LTE tablet to wait for AT&T to approve firmware updates, and i'm going to need to do a factory reset soon as things as getting a but sluggish since 6. At this rate O will be out before I get N.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts