No Release Date Yet?

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
The one thing different this time is the advent of the Stern app. I'm sure FarSight are trying to get all their ducks in a row so they can launch that on every possible platform too. Makes sense that he Wii U would move to the forefront of priority and be a real thing this time. Also, I can't believe FS would be silly enough to make that announcement a second time if they weren't going to fulfill it again.

Although I hope we are wrong, I have to agree with Everly here. I actually bought the Wii U console in part due to this thread in this forum which promised TPA release for Wii U back in December of 2014. Also, in part due to the "other" pinball game that is on it. That game is phenomenal on the Wii U (with the exception of the score servers) but has been a disappointment. Not because of the number of tables they released but more because of the aforementioned issue with the servers.

But back to the Pinball Arcade and the Wii U. I have never before seen such a delay. I believe Farsight decided not to release it at all. There is simply no indication of ANY OTHER INTENT on their part. What blows my mind is they have they have it on OUYA! What the heck is THAT and they scrapped the Wii U with 12 million systems sold? Not only that, but they refuse to remove the Wii U logo, and they have not even taken down the video of it RUNNING on the Wii U. What gives? As with the other game, I cannot quite determine if Nintendo or the game maker is at fault..... either way the situation is no good.

I wish I was wrong but the Wii U version and all of the deception around it have left me a bitter old angry man. :D

EDIT OK, OK, I feel stupid. I almost want to delete my original post. But I will leave it just because of the long wait they have put me through. But, I am humbled because I just saw their facebook post about the Wii U version. Can it be true? Farsight tell me it's true! I will retract my statement! Please accept my apologies if that post proves to be true. I do applaud you for your support on my xbox 360 version with the season 2 pack not showing up in the table section. You did fix that, so you almost won me back as a fanboy. If you release the Wii U version and support it, you will have proven me wrong. That would be a good thing!

Last edited:

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Although I hope we are wrong, I have to agree with Everly here. I actually bought the Wii U console in part due to this thread in this forum which promised TPA release for Wii U back in December of 2014. Also, in part due to the "other" pinball game that is on it. That game is phenomenal on the Wii U (with the exception of the score servers) but has been a disappointment. Not because of the number of tables they released but more because of the aforementioned issue with the servers.

But back to the Pinball Arcade and the Wii U. I have never before seen such a delay. I believe Farsight decided not to release it at all. There is simply no indication of ANY OTHER INTENT on their part. What blows my mind is they have they have it on OUYA! What the heck is THAT and they scrapped the Wii U with 12 million systems sold? Not only that, but they refuse to remove the Wii U logo, and they have not even taken down the video of it RUNNING on the Wii U. What gives? As with the other game, I cannot quite determine if Nintendo or the game maker is at fault..... either way the situation is no good.

I wish I was wrong but the Wii U version and all of the deception around it have left me a bitter old angry man. :D

EDIT OK, OK, I feel stupid. I almost want to delete my original post. But I will leave it just because of the long wait they have put me through. But, I am humbled because I just saw their facebook post about the Wii U version. Can it be true? Farsight tell me it's true! I will retract my statement! Please accept my apologies if that post proves to be true. I do applaud you for your support on my xbox 360 version with the season 2 pack not showing up in the table section. You did fix that, so you almost won me back as a fanboy. If you release the Wii U version and support it, you will have proven me wrong. That would be a good thing!

No need to delete. Pinball Arcade was announced as a "launch window" title along with a multitude of other games. This meant that these games would be available on the platform sometime after launch but before the end of Q1 2013. Several of those titles got delayed beyong ETA and a couple got cancelled but most of them got released in a timely fashion.

A couple publishesrs, namely EA, got their feathers ruffled when Wii-U didn't meet sales expectations early on. Part of that was Nintendo's fault for not properly advertising the system and leaving clueless salespeople to clear confusion about what Wii-U was. The other part of that was publishers realeasing shoddy ports of AAA games six months late on Wii-U for $59.99 with no DLC and piss poor if any online features, when many of said games had already been slashed to $29.99 with free bonus DLC content on PS360. So when EA saw the abysmal sales of 3rd party games they completely wrote off the system and a few others followed suit. Good riddens. Most of EA games are either junk shovelware or canned rehashes of sports titles as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, Farsight needs to put up or shut up regarding Wii-U. Zen pinball is amazing on the Gamepad and makes a perfect sister app to TPA. Sadly since 2013 I've gotten pigeonholed into supporting Farsight on Ouya and am currently debating the migration to Razor Forge. If Cortex succeeds, great, and I even have a discount coupon to use as an Ouya supporter, but it's beginning to look as though the Forge as well as Cotex marketplace may be a commercial failure in the shadows of the Shield and Steam Box.

$100 out (with Ouya discount code, $150 without) if I buy a Forge and it gets orphaned like Ouya. $150 for all 5 seasons plus a few extra bucks for my favorite ball packs if I invest in TPA on another platform. I loathe touch screen controls so Android/iOS is out of the question even if I had a tablet/smart phone. I'm not getting the X1 or PS4 and my barely used PS3 is in it's twilight years. I'm also not a PC gamer so options are limited at this point. I guess I'll just play the waiting game like everyone else.

Last edited:

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Yeah StarDust, I love these games, but only on a console. Although a PC Win 10 may hold promise, it is still not nearly a console pinball experience. I can't get into this on mobile. No buttons and pressing a touch screen to activate a flipper is really un-natural... Z%n is great and plays better on the Wii U than the 360 IMO. I am hoping that this one is ready to release soon on the Wii U. I will certainly invest in many if not all tables on the Wii U. I love the system and have no intention of ever getting a PS4, XB one, or even an NX. At least for many years until they cost less than 200 :) Even then I may not be interested in any of those. In the meantime I will build my table collection on the Wii U with Farsight if or when it is released. Otherwise I will play what pinball is available on Wii U as my 360 is very old and could kick the bucket soon. It will not be replaced.

So yes, we still continue to wait......

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Yeah StarDust, I love these games, but only on a console. Although a PC Win 10 may hold promise, it is still not nearly a console pinball experience. I can't get into this on mobile. No buttons and pressing a touch screen to activate a flipper is really un-natural... Z%n is great and plays better on the Wii U than the 360 IMO. I am hoping that this one is ready to release soon on the Wii U. I will certainly invest in many if not all tables on the Wii U. I love the system and have no intention of ever getting a PS4, XB one, or even an NX. At least for many years until they cost less than 200 :) Even then I may not be interested in any of those. In the meantime I will build my table collection on the Wii U with Farsight if or when it is released. Otherwise I will play what pinball is available on Wii U as my 360 is very old and could kick the bucket soon. It will not be replaced.

So yes, we still continue to wait......

I disagree with your opinion on the PC version. The PC version with DX11 and a controller rivals any current gen console, except for the fact that the PC version gets more than just two (if lucky) updates per year.

With that in mind, I do agree with your stance on tablet versions and stand by your wish to have TPA on the WiiU. I think that version can still hold its' own against the PS4 and XBone. I just hope WiiU owners don't get one half-baked update, then have to wait 8 months or more for the next one, as in what happened to the 360 version.

It's bothersome that the May 360 TPA update somehow managed to mangle the sound-with the last update of 2012, the sound quality was awesome. Now it sounds no better than the PC version, but not as bad as the PS4 version. Lack of sound quality and updates were the two main reasons I jumped from the PS4 TPA ship.

I hope FarSight does not disappoint WiiU owners. You all deserve the chance to finally enjoy TPA on your system.

P.S. It's okay to say "Zen" on these boards. Just don't say the "G" word on TPA fans.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
2 things consoles do that PC doesn't...allow you to play on a giant TV (unless you have your PC hooked up to it), and if on PS3, let you play in native 3D. The exciting thing about the Wii-U is obviously having the DMD be on your gamepad, but something tells me it's gonna be the non dynamic lighting version, which is a deal breaker for me now. But who knows, I really hope FarSight pulls out all the stops for this version.

One of the podcasts we had Mike Lindsey on, he mentioned how difficult it could be dealing with the console stores. Barbie Ba-bomb said that for Zen, Nintendo was a completely separate beast compared to all their other platforms. So I've no doubt it has been a combination of being put on the back burner by FarSight and Nintendo being indie developer difficult.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Yes, I am not in the loop as much as some of you, but I have had a suspicion all along, and made it a point to mention, that Nintendo has a part in this issue. I even went off on Nintendo on a Miiverse post. Barbie has been on the forums and stuff, and has not come right out with pointing the finger at Nintendo for online scoring issue they have had. They took the road of not acknowledging that issue as opposed to pointing at N. But I think if I were N, I would be working with the publishers much more. As for TPA, I remember reading on some board, or social media or something, where a Farsight represeanative flat out told a poster to get a PS4! I know Farsight has a preference of platform as probably does Zen and that is probably because of how easy each is to work with.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
As a recent Wii U owner - I needed to upgrade from my Wii, and wasn't going to wait a year for a more-expensive NX, and since it was mainly a purchase for my kids, I didn't really have an interest in PS4/XONE - I'm following this. I don't see myself getting TPA for the Wii U, though, since I'm the only one who plays it, I like playing in portrait with all the bells and whistles of my monitor and the advantages of Steam. Well if it's a free download for the base game with TOTAN then maybe I'd do that just out of curiosity.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As a recent Wii U owner - I needed to upgrade from my Wii, and wasn't going to wait a year for a more-expensive NX, and since it was mainly a purchase for my kids, I didn't really have an interest in PS4/XONE - I'm following this. I don't see myself getting TPA for the Wii U, though, since I'm the only one who plays it, I like playing in portrait with all the bells and whistles of my monitor and the advantages of Steam. Well if it's a free download for the base game with TOTAN then maybe I'd do that just out of curiosity.

We got ours last xmas, and it was totally for the kid. He loves it, plays the crap out of Mario Maker, 3D World, and now Lego Dimensions. And yeah, if it had the free table download I'd try it for the experience, but playing on Steam has been so satisfying and I don't have to worry about support for it dropping off.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
We got ours last xmas, and it was totally for the kid. He loves it, plays the crap out of Mario Maker, 3D World, and now Lego Dimensions. And yeah, if it had the free table download I'd try it for the experience, but playing on Steam has been so satisfying and I don't have to worry about support for it dropping off.
Can you play TPA on Steam Box? Does it get the DX11 lighting?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Can you play TPA on Steam Box? Does it get the DX11 lighting?

Not having one, I can't say for sure, but isn't that the whole point of the Steam Box? To play whatever is available on Steam? Perhaps it depends on which box you have, whether it has the horsepower to run DX11, but otherwise I see no reason it couldn't.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Not having one, I can't say for sure, but isn't that the whole point of the Steam Box? To play whatever is available on Steam? Perhaps it depends on which box you have, whether it has the horsepower to run DX11, but otherwise I see no reason it couldn't.

I've been looking on the internets for info about the Steam Boxes. So far, they're all based on Linux OS. This means you can only play steam games supported by Linux-and TPA is not one of them. I was looking at possibly getting a steam box for myself when I found this out. In fact, maybe three games I either own or may buy will work on any steam box. I'll not ask FarSight to support Linux when they've already got multiple consoles they are trying (and for MS, PSN, WiiU, failing) to support adequately.

All I need to do is get a new video card ($300-ish) to get DX11 working on my computer. Although I may look into a rotating monitor so I can try TPA (and Zen) in portrait mode, though I hear it's glitched to heck. My PC still suits me just fine.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
OK well ummmm..."very early" 2016 (to qoute the farsight post) should mean what? If "early" 2016 means Q1 then I'd say by end of March. Then what does "very early" 2016 mean, Farsight? January? February? LOL my Wii U account is funded ready to buy TPA :)

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
NX is on the horizon already. Farsight really missed the boat with Wii-U if they port it over now. I would still buy though.

I agree Stardust, we should have been playing on our nintendos for a year now :)

However.... like I said on facebook, there are now 13 million Wii Us and on the Wii U 15,000 zen players on the Wii U. So with 13 million Wii Us and 0 NXs in homes, I'd say Wii U is a better bet than a system that has sold no units.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I agree Stardust, we should have been playing on our nintendos for a year now :)

However.... like I said on facebook, there are now 13 million Wii Us and on the Wii U 15,000 zen players on the Wii U. So with 13 million Wii Us and 0 NXs in homes, I'd say Wii U is a better bet than a system that has sold no units.
I am one of those 15,000 Zen players. It's awesome. My dream machine would be a life size recreation of the Tesla table. I have bought every table they have that isn't Marvel related. And I've got the Star Wars tables too...

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Yeah I agree. The originals rule for me! And Star Wars next. Although I have the marvels and do play, it's the others that get my time. And I have Pinball arcade on my 360 and that has to get some time in too. Soooo many tables!

If I had to pick just one zen table that could be made real, that would be really tough to choose. If it were Tesla that would be a power consumer to the extreme with all that zapping going on! My pick would probably be El Dorado... could you imagine that saw blade comin' down at the back of the table! lol.

Zac Wood

Oct 15, 2015
Ideas and hopes.

I wouldn't say Nintendo is "Indie Developer Difficult". Did you forget the announcement from Yacht Club Games on August 29th 2015? (AKA why on Facebook I try to pull "amiibo-specific posts?") That they could try to make Wii U seem more "welcoming & fresh" compared to X-Box 360, and PlayStation 3.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Yeah I agree. The originals rule for me! And Star Wars next. Although I have the marvels and do play, it's the others that get my time. And I have Pinball arcade on my 360 and that has to get some time in too. Soooo many tables!

If I had to pick just one zen table that could be made real, that would be really tough to choose. If it were Tesla that would be a power consumer to the extreme with all that zapping going on! My pick would probably be El Dorado... could you imagine that saw blade comin' down at the back of the table! lol.

You'd probably have to wear grounding straps when playing an IRL version of Tesla. That would chafe my wrists LOL.
Just for laughs, imagine how a real "Infinity Gauntlet" would play.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
You'd probably have to wear grounding straps when playing an IRL version of Tesla. That would chafe my wrists LOL.
Just for laughs, imagine how a real "Infinity Gauntlet" would play.

I would imagine somesort fo gyroscope seating for the player, like the astronauts learn in.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts