Official Twilight Zone News

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Why is it so expensive? They haven't done anything with the IP in years, and I doubt they will anytime soon. You'd think they'd be happy to have some free advertising for whatever DVD/BluRay release, and basically free money for the IP rights.

The problem is that CBS doesn't put out the DVDs. Image Entertainment licensed the show, and they've already released it multiple times on DVD (single discs, multi-disc sets, season sets, complete series), and Blu-ray (season sets, complete series), so there's little incentive for advertising. Anyone who is interested in the show should already own at least one version of it already.

gtotal

May 2, 2012
I don't know if the 'premium table' idea people are floating is feasible, but there are a LOT of tables I'd pay $10 a pop for without a second thought. Pretty much anything I expect to play for more than a few hours.

I think there are fewer tables I'd be willing to do a Kickstarter for. It's more of an emotional investment, so if a table sounds like fun but I don't care about *that particular* table getting made, I would probably skip it.

That said, I don't see any problem with just doing a Kickstarter for every table, if Farsight wanted to go that way. They're not psychic; they don't know exactly which tables will sell. Saying "we'll release any table we can get X number of guaranteed pre-sales for" (which is basically what Kickstarter is) seems reasonable, and the Kickstarter system means that nobody pays money for a thing which doesn't end up getting made. Win!

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Offering those who donate early access to the table in the form of a beta (for beta testing) would cost FarSight next to nothing and would make most people happy since everyone seems to want to help beta test anyway.

Also, for those of you who do not support the kickstarter idea, I respect your decision, but please don't leave negative comments debunking the whole program. From what I've seen so far, there are more than enough people to back such a program (myself included). If you don't support this idea, I ask that you please refrain from leaving negative comments and let the majority of us support the cause, so that even you can purchase and enjoy the table whenever its released. I don't expect anyone to do anything they don't feel comfortable with, but if you don't like the idea, then don't donate...simple as that. Please don't mess this up for the rest of us.

I hope you're not referring to me as leaving negative comments. I'd be interested in the kickstarter and voted that way in the other thread. However, I'm nervous about the whole idea and want to make sure that it would benefit Farsight in the end. I hardly think my comments were debunking the whole program or messing anything up for anyone. This is a forum to discuss things, isn't it?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm not singling anyone out, just trying to make a point. Short and sweet, you donate what you feel comfortable with and we either see the table released or we get our money back. No risk involved. I'll leave it at that.

bossyman15

Feb 28, 2012
Seeing that I never made a Kickstarter donation before, I'm not sure how it works. If I give say $20 but the table is never made or they don't raise enough money, do I get that $20 back?

Here's how Kickstarter works. You PLEDGE not pay the money. That means IF the donation goal is reached then they will charge your credit card however IF goal is not reached then nothing happens. You don't get charged.

IHaveTheMagic

Mar 7, 2012
I think a Kickstarter project is a great idea. If there is enough interest to raise the capital to break even on the initial development of the table that will only further TPA progress.
As others have mentioned, it would be huge in attracting new gamers to the product after its released. Every table added to the collection increases its appeal and TZ would be a big one.

I would personally contribute $40 or so for the table and here's why. I've never played TZ but I keep hearing its amazing. In my search, the nearest TZ table in about forty miles away in
a pinball arcade. Admission is $15 plus gas round trip. While nothing compares to actually playing the table, having the FarSight table that I can have unlimited play and take on the go is well worth the real life cost of playing it in comparison. i also look at it this way, new console games are $60 a piece and generally last about 10-20 hours before I shelve them. I've put WAY more hours than that into TPA in under $15 I've spend on it already. On a monthly game budget, I'm still way ahead, and I have a game that will probably never lose its appeal as you can always just pickup and play pinball.

As for contribution levels, I don't see FarSight getting into offering physical merchandise. I know I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle so here is what I would propose.

First off, I'd like to see add-on purchases build into the game. As some have requested, access to the operator settings is one thing but I'd like to see it go further.
I know there are all kinds of real life mods to tables and I think it would be cool to be able to purchase these mods for small fees. For instance, I'd love to see a Tiger Saw mod
and the trunk lock decoration in ToM. That along with access to the operator menu might be worth a few more bucks for an add-on purchase. Implementing this type of system
could also expand FarSight's revenue model. So:

$30 - A special edition of TZ on the platform of your choice to all backers with all these additional add-ons enabled. I know there are all kinds of mods for TZ and if they were built in and
user enabled in a special edition only for backers I think that would be very enticing.

$50 - Two or three copies of the game. I know most of us have multiple devices. I'd love a copy for iOS, PS3, and my Mac. At this level, two or three platform options via redemption or download codes.

$100 - Package TZ with some other tables. Again, make them some early EM tables or something that would be special edition, wouldn't cost FS anything in licensing, would be easy to recreate, and available only to backers.

$500 or $1000 - Have your name put in the DMD as one of the credits or as part of the default high score list

$5000+ - I did like the tour/lunch of the FarSight office idea. As a software engineer and pinball fan myself I think that would be really cool.

Of course, I think the whole thing hinges on raising the capital to cover the development cost up front. I have no idea what those licenses cost
other than expensive but given the thousands of people already participating online with TPA, it might be possible.

What do you guys think?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm on a tight budget so I don't have much extra money to donate, but I'd be able to throw in maybe up to $50.

As far as the cost of the table itself, I'd be willing to pay $20+ for one great table (probably even $50) because I did it back in the Pro Pinball days and I still play those tables after all this time, so it's definitely worth it to me to pay more for a premium table.

bossyman15

Feb 28, 2012
Seeing that I never made a Kickstarter donation before, I'm not sure how it works. If I give say $20 but the table is never made or they don't raise enough money, do I get that $20 back?

Here's how Kickstarter works. You PLEDGE not pay the money. That means IF the donation goal is reached then they will charge your credit card however IF goal is not reached then nothing happens. You don't get charged.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
First off, I'd like to see add-on purchases build into the game. As some have requested, access to the operator settings is one thing but I'd like to see it go further.

I know there are all kinds of real life mods to tables and I think it would be cool to be able to purchase these mods for small fees. For instance, I'd love to see a Tiger Saw mod and the trunk lock decoration in ToM. That along with access to the operator menu might be worth a few more bucks for an add-on purchase. Implementing this type of system could also expand FarSight's revenue model.

What do you guys think?

A couple of issues I see with this:

1. Williams/Stern/Gottlieb may or may not be willing to approve modified versions of their tables.
2. Farsight would likely have to track down the creators of the mods to get approval.
3. Some people may complain that they are being nickel & dimed.
4. The various platforms are not really setup to accommodate micro transactions.

Last edited:

monkspider

Apr 15, 2012
I don't think most people know how much licensing is involved in The Twilight Zone pinball table. With The Twilight Zone (CBS), Rod Serling's likeness, music, etc. this is without a doubt one of the most expensive licensed pinball tables for FarSight to pursue and to tell you the truth, I'm surprised they were able to aquire the licenses this quickly.

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that. I would have thought that Twilight Zone would have been a fairly inexpensive license like Ripley's. I support the Kickstarter motion and I think that, in conjunction with it being released as a premium table (costing five dollars by itself or even perhaps more), would help make it financially worthwhile.

Some kind of a sustainable business model has to be found for licensed tables though, because I think the general expectation is that in the years ahead Farsight needs to try to get some of the more modern tables like Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
I love Doctor Who!! But I also really really want Twilight Zone. Maybe if this Kickstarter fund is successful, there will be other licenses that can be set up for backing. Rather than cross them off the development list for being too expensive, I'd rather put my money where my mouth is...

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I hope to hear Farsight's news on Elvira soon. I hope the license isn't as expensive as TZ.

They only have to deal with Cassandra Peterson and from what I've heard, she's very easy to work with.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I don't know how I stand regarding the Kickstarter thing,

I will donate if they go that route, I'd almost rather having maybe some closed stock options and buy shares in the company. I have faith that they will succeed and think that this would personally vest a lot of us in the success of TPA.

I would, however prefer that they stick to some of the lesser known licenses, not completely vague or only known by hard core pinballers but licenses that are both well known but not so expensive.

I know there's some very impressive DLC around the corner that should help with sales (and people reportedly saying that they are holding out for these tables). There is an opportunity for FS to cement themselves into a position where bringing out a bigger license would be less of a risk.

If I were to contribute to a KickStarter campaign, the only "reward" I would like is to be able to participate in a closed beta program. The advantage for me is I get to try tables before they are released and the advantage to FS is basically a volunteer workforce striving to ensure that their product is the best it can be. I'm CERTAIN that anyone who participates in this care enough about this venture enough to gladly help FS release tables that are bug free. It makes this whole thing a win win win proposition (yes 3 wins). Farsight gets a larger userbase testing which would expediate finding bugs, the people who really really want Farsight to succeed and have emotional interest in TPA can help out (as we all want to be beta testers and have tables early). And those who want a perfect product for 2.50 a table get less to complain about in the end and Farsights reputation with those people who don't quite understand, but really want to love TPA, stays pristine.

I don't want a hat or a poster or a T-Shirt or some trinket -- ok maybe a poster (**blush**). That just feels too much like PBS to me. Give me pre-release tables and place where I can report bugs and issues. Give me a checklist of things to test. This isn't something I would "gladly" do for any company but I also know for a fact that I'm not the only one here who feels this strongly about wanting TPA to not only succeed but to be the best pinball experience possible without having your hands around a physical machine (unless you're a pc user and have a pincab of course).

Edit: After some thought about the trinket thing, if you were to sell things that were considered collectible (scale table replicas or TPA arcade tokens or replica flyers, instruction cards table decals or something I would gladly take part in that)

Last edited:

phantomfriar2002

Apr 13, 2012
I would have thought that Twilight Zone would have been a fairly inexpensive license like Ripley's.

Have to remember all the things that come into play, like the theme music. That by itself could drive up the price. CBS/Paramount have been notorious for this kind of thing; it's why the last Star Trek video game (actually the last couple of them!) didn't even have the Trek theme music in them. Licensing the brand alone, plus the music, any sound samples and/or Rod Serling, etc. -- combined with the studio itself -- probably makes this one of the more expensive tables for them to license.

Ripley's probably didn't cost much of anything outside the name, which isn't nearly as well known a "brand" these days as TZ.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
They only have to deal with Cassandra Peterson and from what I've heard, she's very easy to work with.

Lucky Farsight. That would definitely be a cool situation to be in to deal with Elvira. Of course you probably end up just dealing with lawyers instead of her.

heybuddy

Feb 26, 2012

Note to self: Dinner, roses and a movie. Say you're from Farsight. :D

The thing to remember about licensing here versus licensing RBioN is that you had the Ripley's name and that's it. Not only do you have whomever holds the TZ license, you're also looking at paying $$ for Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" song and seeing as how that and "Radar Love" were their only two big hits, they need the residuals. I'm also curious to know if -- and I know this is a reach -- wonder if they have to get the Powerball rights? Yes, it's a name. Yes, it came out before the lottery game. However, intellectual property rights battles are probably a *****.

I'm for Kickstarter if and only if that I think trying to push a $15 game on the masses might not be a good risk/reward for FS. Namco's dropped Soul Calibur on iOS for around what -- $12 or so? -- Don't want. I don't know the stats of how many did... but is there enough people out there to buy a $12-$20 pinball game?

I've participated in one Kickstarter project. I think if it's for a good enough cause and there's individual ROI, then it's worth it.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Lucky Farsight. That would definitely be a cool situation to be in to deal with Elvira. Of course you probably end up just dealing with lawyers instead of her.

She actually LIKES pinball! Look at old Spooky Pinball podcasts for a cool interview.
Also there are pretty strong rumours that JJP may do a third Elvira game as if not their second, then maybe their third game :)

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
The more I read this thread, the more I realize I am confused about what a kickstart program is and how it will work. I understand it is to raise money to produce a high profile premium table. But because the mechanics are up in the air and there is little to no guidance from Farsignt as to what direction they will head in when it comes to a kickstart program, at this point I am not sure what to say. At first I was opposed to it, but after reading what others say, depending on how it is done, it might be good or bad. At this point Farsight is asking us how we think it should be done but without some base figure, it is hard to conceive a plan to meet a goal that has not been defined. I think Farsight need to step up and at least let us know what figure we are shooting for. No matter what the program is, I do not believe any physical gifts should be given to investors, I think only downloadable / game related gifts should be given. That is not to say that physical gifts should not be produced and sold, I am all for that and would certainly buy physical items.

I think beyond the kickstart program 3 things need to be done ASAP. These items should appear in the cover page of the game ...

1. A link to this forum

2. A Link to the TPA DLC store which is interfaced into what ever platform you are playing on. In the case of PSN, the link would lead you directly into the PSN to all the downloadable content specific to the game ... tables, avatars, themes.

3 A link to a physical merchandise store from Farsight ... here you can buy baseball caps, pens, t shirts, mugs, posters ... etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.