Official Twilight Zone News

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
A kickstarter program is a centralized investmen initiative through http://www.kickstarter.com/
It works as follows:
-The party looking for investers puts out a project
-it puts out an investment goal
-it pus up several levels of investment, each with their own reward

Example:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/497254986/building-a-home-made-pinball-from-scratch?ref=live

If the party looking for investers don't reach their investment goal, noone of the investers will actually be credited for the amount they pledged to put it (the money is only taken off your paypal/cc/whatever AFTER the full endgoal has been met).

This thing is done by both small and big investors. Recent succesfull kickstarters from famous gamedevelopers that failed to find publishers willing to stand behidn their project:
Double Fine (Tim Schaeffer, the guy behind Grim Fandango, Monkey Island)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Wasteland kickstarter (Brian Fargo, created Fallout, Baldurs Gate)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Before they worry about getting major licenses, they need to perfect their core engine. The ball is too fast (or at least too easily accelerated) and bounces too much off flippers and other rubber surfaces. Drop catches and stalls almost never happen, nor do flick passes. As mentioned before, these must be addressed before offering premium tables, as someone who spent $2.50 on a table could excuse these flaws, and be content that they'll be addressed sometime in the future, while someone who dropped $10 or more will expect perfection right out of the gate.

Karlos

Apr 18, 2012
I'm with you Nik, I suggest FarSight release a heavily licensed table, by itself, at a premium price every three to four months in addition to their monthly DLC table packs.

Maybe more like every 6 months release a Premium table. I mean after all, what would the big hitters in regards to obtaining the licenses be....Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, StarTrek TNG, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Doctor Who, LOTR, Pirates Of The Carribian....and maybe the latest STERN tables (but dount we'll see any of those for a good few years)???. So there isnt a massive amout of tables that would need this sort of support is there?, if they can get Monster Bash and Creature from the black laggon without any extra funding then?

Last edited:

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
My concern would be that if this does become a Kickstarter-funded project, but does not get the final backing, that FS might not consider going after the other "big guns". I am not sure what constitutes a big gun, of course, not having a clue about licensing, but would imagine Addams, Indy, STTNG, T2 would all be high. And I love those games.

If this does become a Kickstarter project, would FS not have to disclose how much their license would cost? Anyway, I would be in. Pinball Arcade is my only chance of "owning" the games I grew up with and loved, and still love, and this product has rekindled my pinball fire (more so than Zen and Pro Pinball, simply because I know these games).

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Before they worry about getting major licenses, they need to perfect their core engine.
Farsight likely started trying to obtain the licences for TZ (and a lot of other properties) months ago which is what any good company would do. Even if they got all the money together tomorrow we likely would not see the table for months. Lots of time to work on improving the engine.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
On the licensing front.
On The Spooky podcast the guys who are building 200+ RL 'Predator' tables said the licensing was not much of an issue!
Matter of a few phone calls. Course theirs is a special low-volume case and they're also a non-profit-but shows what's possible :)

Andy

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Maybe more like every 6 months release a Premium table. I mean after all, what would the big hitters in regards to obtaining the licenses be....Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, StarTrek TNG, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Doctor Who, LOTR, Pirates Of The Carribian....and maybe the latest STERN tables (but dount we'll see any of those for a good few years)???. So there isnt a massive amout of tables that would need this sort of support is there?, if they can get Monster Bash and Creature from the black laggon without any extra funding then?

I never said anything about heavily licensed tables needing the support of a kickstarter. I only recommended that FarSight release a heavily licensed table every three or four months as a premium priced single purchase table (along with their regular monthly DLC Tables Pack releases) since these tables would cost somewhat more than your standard monthly DLC two table pack. Doing this would strengthen their tables library and give consumers a few months break in between purchasing premium tables at a premium price. I know for a fact that there are only about four or five tables that may require kickstarter support and I'm fine with them doing those tables once a year.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I never said anything about heavily licensed tables needing the support of a kickstarter. I only recommended that FarSight release a heavily licensed table every three or four months as a premium priced single purchase table (along with their regular monthly DLC Tables Pack releases) since these tables would cost somewhat more than your standard monthly DLC two table pack. Doing this would strengthen their tables library and give consumers a few months break in between purchasing premium tables at a premium price. I know for a fact that there are only about four or five tables that may require kickstarter support and I'm fine with them doing those tables once a year.

I know there was a rumor in one thread about George Gomez having stuff on Lord of the Rings shown on his facebook page, but I'm not sure if it's Pinball Arcade related. How viable do you think F-14 Tomcat is as a license? That's definiltely one I want to see, though I just want to see Steve Ritchie pins in General, including stuff like Flash.

I'm curious about Star Wars and IJ. They sound like they would probably be among the more expensive licenses, but Lucas seems to like over promoting them with stuff like Zynga's Indiana Jones Adventure World and that Lipton Brisk saber thing. One interesting thing is that one pic on the Indiana Jones adventure world page showed a character from the game playing Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure. Edit: I couldn't find that picture of Professor Allen playing pinball on the page for the game, so it may have been fan made.

Last edited:

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
I don't think I'm up for the kickstarter I am a bit pushed budget wise at the moment so would only stump up around £5. I too would probably prefer to pay say that £5 for a single Premium table once or twice a year. Can't FARSIGHT negotiate a smaller up front license fee(s) then pay a small percentage to the license holders on each sale. I think a lot of actors etc go this route on movies and recording artist's, quite probably over the year's the license holders would make more money than a single up front fee, and like some one else pointed out making some money on the license that they own instead of probably very little to none now day's would make sense to me.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I'm down to throw Farsight $20 or whatever to help them get this license, but how many players out there are as crazy about the game as those of us on this forum? I'm not sure that raising enough money with Kickstarter is really a viable option if the license is so expensive...

dyleck

Feb 28, 2012
I'm not sure that raising enough money with Kickstarter is really a viable option if the license is so expensive...

But how should we know what expensive means in that case. Farsight still haven't provided a word of an explanation about the possible kickstarter target so I don't think that anyone can judge if it is viable or not.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
If FarSight decides to go the Kickstarter route, I'm sure they'll be upfront with the costs involved. Right now it's just an avenue they're exploring.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
The other factor to consider is what is the goal of the kickstarter fund? Is it to get the table to be sold at the going rate for other tables or is it meant to be used in addition to having a premium price for a single table (a range of 5-10 bucks let's say for TZ).

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I would be more in favour of them introducing a premium table fee where only the single table will cost $5-$10. I would much rather see that than a kickstarter fund.

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
At the point where a kickstarter happens I think it would make sense if they had another licence (or two or three) lined up. For instance, TZ and TAF*. I think it would be better than having a seperate kickstarter for each one.

*better yet Bally's charming Doctor Who table

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
Just read the news about the Twilight Zone license. I wouldn't mind paying $25 as long as it's a well made game with no bugs. If I have to pay a bit more for tables with expensive licences I wouldn't mind as long as the price isn't ridiculously high.

I have a lot of movie themed tables on my wish list and if paying a bit more helps to get those tables on TPA, I, as a pinball fan would gladly help.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I think only a few on this forum are not prepared to pay 25 or more.

But be realistic, when they ask 25 they will sell way to few. But i would not mind if they make an announcement that this game will cost 25, until they reach a goal (the needed costs for licenses), and after that the game goes ''platina'' or something like that, and then you can buy it for 3 euro.

But then they HAVE to make a very clear announcement that if you buy for 25 and it goes platina, then you will not get your money back. (so, its some sort of kickstarter but you dont invest in a project, you buy the end product for more to support)

+

they have to be crystalclear and fair with the costs of the license and how much money is already payd.

Last edited:

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I think only a few on this forum are not prepared to pay 25 or more.

Not so sure about that part.

I know that I sure would.
I think there are probably a fair amount of others that feel the same way.

BUT... there are a lot of people that somehow feel entitled to damn near everything for damn near free.
That's very clear from reading the facebook posts and many posts here.
Read some of the borderline insane rants people are making about what they NEED done NOW at the currently low prices.

I hope FarSight can get an accurate feel for what people would be willing to pay for premium games.
As so very often happens, the people screaming the loudest about everything are usually the ones that want everything for free or dirt cheap.
Those that are willing to actually pay for their entertainment are a lot more mellow.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts