Official Twilight Zone News

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
At 18% now...

jrolson, I saw you got ripped on VPForums for mentioning The Twilight Zone kickstarter project and that's just sad on their part. You have to understand, the guys that bashed the project have been getting free tables for years and now don't want to see FarSight succeed in reproducing expensive licensed tables. If reproducing these tables works out for FarSight, then this could spell trouble for VP, VPM and FP. You see, FarSight are the only ones that have legally aquired the rights to reproduce Stern, Bally, Williams and Gottlieb tables and if FarSight chooses to do so, they can ask those four companies to ban unauthorized distributions of the tables they have the rights to reproduce, and those doing the bashing on VPForums know this. The majority of the members on VPForums would never support what FarSight is doing because they know they'll have to actually start paying for the privilege to play these wonderful tables and the majority of them are not prepared to do that.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
but what i do wonder: why don't they sell the table for a premium price (about $6)?. It would easily sell enough to make the licensing costs back...

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
jrolson, I saw you got ripped on VPForums for mentioning The Twilight Zone kickstarter project and that's just sad on their part. You have to understand, the guys that bashed the project have been getting free tables for years and now don't want to see FarSight succeed in reproducing expensive licensed tables. If reproducing these tables works out for FarSight, then this could spell trouble for VP, VPM and FP. You see, FarSight are the only ones that have legally aquired the rights to reproduce Stern, Bally, Williams and Gottlieb tables and if FarSight chooses to do so, they can ask those four companies to ban unauthorized distributions of the tables they have the rights to reproduce, and those doing the bashing on VPForums know this. The majority of the members on VPForums would never support what FarSight is doing because they know they'll have to actually start paying for the privilege to play these wonderful tables and the majority of them are not prepared to do that.

Yeah, It was a mistake posting over there. They came after me like an angry mob after mentioning the TPA Kickstarter page...

angry-mob.jpg

Not many fans of TPA over there. Most havent even tried TPA and never will... After being spoiled by free tables for so long. Guess they dont really care about supporting the future of pinball games...

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
but what i do wonder: why don't they sell the table for a premium price (about $6)?. It would easily sell enough to make the licensing costs back...

Are you sure selling the table for $6 would be enough to recoup licensing and development costs and still allow FarSight to make a decent profit? Also, there's no guarantee the table will sell as well as they might expect it to. Kickstarter is a good way for the licensing of a very popular table to be taken care of up front that way FarSight doesn't put themselves in an early hole and at the same time, strengthen their table lineup to boost sales of their core game.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Yeah, It was a mistake posting over there. They came after me like an angry mob after mentioning the TPA Kickstarter page...

angry-mob.jpg

Not many fans of TPA over there. Most havent even tried TPA and never will... After being spoiled by free tables for so long. Guess they dont really care about supporting the future of pinball games...

What's sad is that the big four companies turned a blind eye and allowed their tables to be re-created and played for free for so many years and now that everyone who enjoyed VPM over the years (myself included) have a chance to give back to those companies, the majority of them don't want to spend a red cent to do so. How's that for appreciation?

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
I seem like the only one frothing for WHO pinball, was it a bad table? I remember playing it and loving it but that could be the fanboy in me talking lol
No, I'm the second one on this forum. ;) However I don't think it's very likely that we're ever going to see this on TPA. The brand should be pretty costly these days, much more expensive than the Twilight Zone. Besides, there are Daleks on the table. And the Nation estate is well known for being pain to negotiate with...

As for Twilight Zone itself... I'm probably going to back the project, but I don't know. Isn't it a bit early for this kind of thing? At the time I am writing this the first DLC has yet to surface on the consoles, so asking for kickstarting money while a lot of us still aren't able to play anything but the launch tables is a bit... um. Not to mention that the core game hasn't been out for that long a while, so I'm not sure if there are that many fans yet to back this kind of thing. IMO they really should have waited a few more months.

N

Nik Barbour

I'm a Backer!
Time to put the money behind the mouth guys.
Get pledging or it ain't gonna happen!

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
Chucked a bit the FS direction, maybe a bit more towards closing time if they need a final push to make the finish line.

I wonder how much the table will list for dlc wise, to non pledgers, once the kickstarter has happened and funded the license.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Only heard about TPA a week ago, but already bought both DLC packs and ToM on the iPad/iPhone and would have bought it again on the PS3 if it was out in Europe. I've pledged for TZ (played this loads back in the day in my local pub/bar), so hopefully this will start to snowball as news gets round and as people discover TPA like I did. Good luck guys, hope this gets wrapped up quickly cos I can't spend another 29 days hitting F5 on the Kickstarter page every hour!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
No, I'm the second one on this forum. ;) However I don't think it's very likely that we're ever going to see this on TPA. The brand should be pretty costly these days, much more expensive than the Twilight Zone. Besides, there are Daleks on the table. And the Nation estate is well known for being pain to negotiate with...

As for Twilight Zone itself... I'm probably going to back the project, but I don't know. Isn't it a bit early for this kind of thing? At the time I am writing this the first DLC has yet to surface on the consoles, so asking for kickstarting money while a lot of us still aren't able to play anything but the launch tables is a bit... um. Not to mention that the core game hasn't been out for that long a while, so I'm not sure if there are that many fans yet to back this kind of thing. IMO they really should have waited a few more months.

I imagine a lot of people are clamoring for dr. Who but not in the u.s. unfortunately very few people know it over here. I've played the table and it was excellent. The tv show isn't wide broadcast unless the local PBS shows it.
As for the premature release of premium dlc I think this is the right time. On the surface it seems extremely premature but if this does become a big success, licenses will be significantly more expensive. The real estate market is going up in value so to speak.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012

Its a kickstarter, not a kickestablishedmodel. Most of these projects ask for money before they can show anything, apart from perhaps conceptart. The timing for this makes most sense now, both from an already established user/fanbase as an expansion opportunity and PR standpoint.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Are you sure selling the table for $6 would be enough to recoup licensing and development costs and still allow FarSight to make a decent profit? Also, there's no guarantee the table will sell as well as they might expect it to. Kickstarter is a good way for the licensing of a very popular table to be taken care of up front that way FarSight doesn't put themselves in an early hole and at the same time, strengthen their table lineup to boost sales of their core game.

I doubt six bucks would cover it. Half of the price goes to apple or Microsoft or Sony off the bat. Then all the operating an development costs is quite a bit. Lets say a dollar per unit sold. So they would need to then sell at least 28k units to cover the licenses (maybe more, the 55k could be lower than what is actually needed but the amount to make distribution feasible). That's a lot of units to have to sell before you start making a profit and without a guarantee of selling that amount, it would be a huge risk to put it out based on wishful thinking. So I agree that without a kick starter, the $6 price seems low and risky.

Arcflup

May 19, 2012
...I seem like the only one frothing for WHO pinball, was it a bad table? ...

I would like DW also, would much prefer it to TAF, sadly I don't think we'll be seeing it though. I can't see projected sales being anywhere near enough to cover the licensing. TPA is pretty good and promises to be great but I've not been too excited by the tables released to date, from a personal preference standpoint rather than the implementation. I really like BOP and MM but the rest don't do it for me. Unfortunately I dislike FH, indeed any pin with a talking head, and absolutely abhor CV so dlc pack 2 will be given a miss. I own a real TZ and AFM, mind you I have DW also so will probably buy both if and when. Of the tables announced it's only CFTBL, MB and Taxi that I'd really be interested in.

I agree with the snagging of a big hitter licensed pin but, again personally, why did it have to be TZ? I'd have much preferred STTNG or IJ or,...Gasp!... LOTR.

Where's WH2O? A stonking non licensed game if ever there was one.

Having said all that I'm probably up for this kickstarter thingy :rolleyes:

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
I imagine a lot of people are clamoring for dr. Who but not in the u.s. unfortunately very few people know it over here. I've played the table and it was excellent. The tv show isn't wide broadcast unless the local PBS shows it.
As for the premature release of premium dlc I think this is the right time. On the surface it seems extremely premature but if this does become a big success, licenses will be significantly more expensive. The real estate market is going up in value so to speak.

there are many WHO fans in America, and the new series has brought in many more!

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
God damn this proposal for a kickstart fund is getting some bashing on some of the Pinball Fourms. If people are pinball fans then surely they wouldnt have a problem with this proposal at all and fully support it!?, i guess its people who are just VP or FP fans and not 'Pinball fans' that have the problem.

They need to understand that FarSight isnt a massive company, they have what approx 12 staff??, these staff need to be paid, the rent on their proterty, utility bills, pinball tables they actually buy so they can make these digital tables in the first place these all need to be paid!, nothing seem odd to me that they might need some funding.

I guess they are taking a massive risk on this, as they dont really know at the moment if the community support is there for a table like TW and for a price tag of say $10, im guess they cant afford to create a table at a loss and not get the return on it, in doing this might be a disaster for the company and may cause them to go under in taking such a risk!?? They might not have to do this again if TW turns out to be a massive hit as they'll know the support is there for these 'Premium' tables, at the moment they dont know hence why the extra backing is needed maybe?

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Any ideas on how we can make the WHOLE internet more aware of this Campaign? I was thinking of doing an eBay auction page, with the heading Twlight Zone Digital Funding or something?, that would surely get peoples attention who might not be even aware of TPA???

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Unfortunately I dislike FH, indeed any pin with a talking head, and absolutely abhor CV so dlc pack 2 will be given a miss. I own a real TZ and AFM, mind you I have DW also so will probably buy both if and when. Of the tables announced it's only CFTBL, MB and Taxi that I'd really be interested in.

I agree with the snagging of a big hitter licensed pin but, again personally, why did it have to be TZ? I'd have much preferred STTNG or IJ or,...Gasp!... LOTR.
How anyone could abhor Cirqus Voltaire is beyond me. Yes, it's easy; yes, it's pretty garish with all the colors and whatnot; but it's just too much fun to hate.

And why not TZ? LOTR is probably one of the most expensive if not the most expensive table license-wise FarSight could do. ST:TNG might be coming anyway, given FarSight's hints on their Kickstarter. TAF would have been ideal as far as popular appeal, but it's a very heavy license as well and as much as I don't like admitting it, TZ is an objectively "better" table from a design standpoint. And TZ's a nice recognizable theme; even people who weren't around for the original TV show (like me) know what it was and can relate to it.

The only thing TZ has going against it as far as I can tell is that it is most definitely not a game for beginners. TZ can be a cruel, cruel table.

God damn this proposal for a kickstart fund is getting some bashing on some of the Pinball Fourms. If people are pinball fans then surely they wouldnt have a problem with this proposal at all and fully support it!?, i guess its people who are just VP or FP fans and not 'Pinball fans' that have the problem.
I think it's one part fear and one part "religious issues". As was mentioned earlier, since FarSight has licenses to reproduce Stern, Williams, Bally and Gottlieb tables, they could ask those companies to enforce their IP rights and demand that FP/VP either remove or obtain licensing for their tables. Or an external licenseholder, having just completed a licensing deal with FarSight, could suddenly notice that there's an FP/VP table using their IP and not paying for it. Even if you're a nonprofit, you still have to obtain permission to use others' IP, even if the licenseholder would be willing to give you reduced/zero rates. You can't just run off and use it and assume all is well because you're not making any money yourself. So FarSight has (presumably inadvertently) put FP/VP in an unfavorable position regarding licensing.

As far as "religious issues" go, it's the same kind of holy war that gets fought everyday re: PS3 v. 360, CoD v. MW, or even TZ v. TAF (!), etc.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As far as "religious issues" go, it's the same kind of holy war that gets fought everyday re: PS3 v. 360, CoD v. MW, or even TZ v. TAF (!), etc.

Haha! OK, I was just bored when I made that silly, little poll. I honestly didn't have any kind of agenda, other than drumming up some conversation. I really do love both tables. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts