"Old" physics still used on PC TPA?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I recall someone from FS saying the PC version of TPA has all the same features/engines as the PS4 version other than the advanced lighting, but I noticed while playing the PS4 tables that the physics are markedly different (better) than the PC one. PC feels closer to the PS3 version in terms of how "lively" the ball behaves.

Can anyone from FS (Mike?) confirm/deny that the PC is not using the more advanced physics engine used in the PS4 version? I wouldn't put it past me that I just haven't picked up on it and they play exactly the same, but there's something that definitely feels more "real" about the PS4 one that doesn't come across in the PC one (and it's not the lighting I'm referring to).

Or even if anyone else has/hasn't noticed the same thing. Feel free to call me crazy if I'm just imagining things!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think the PC version plays like the last gen systems.

But then again I've only played circuis voltaire for ps4. But I can certainly see the difference

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I think the PC version plays like the last gen systems.

But then again I've only played circuis voltaire for ps4. But I can certainly see the difference
Yup, agreed. There's definitely a difference, which I've noticed while playing the full copy of TotAN (which is free) and the trials of all the other tables.

Seems odd that the PS4 would have better physics. I wonder why?
Only thing I can think of is that Farsight's base build is using the older physics and when they "port" things to the PS4, along with the lighting and the (lol) sound they also implement the ball physics.

I honestly thought they said the PC version was identical to the PS4 one except for the lighting/graphics. Maybe I misread it back then but somehow it only clicked with me over the weekend.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
This could be highly subjective. Another device, screen, resolution, controller,... form of the day, beer level,... only FS can tell for certain.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
platform differences in physics are very real.

PC is very similar to xbox360 physics, if not identical

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
But this would make no sense. Fs would have to develop and maintain a physics framework for each individual platform which means a lot of extra work and... ah wait. Got it.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
From what I understand farsight did a whole overhaul on the engine for PS4 to make it look and feel "next-gen", the same is probably going to happen for the xbox one and now that that is just about ready PC is bound to follow

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts