PC Version 1.19.4 Discussion & Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaze

Nov 5, 2013
Any idea when post-processing will get fixed for ATI/AMD GPU users? I thought it was something that might've been fixed during the beta, but unfortunately it still looks like rubbish :(

I hope so too. It's almost like they don't have any AMD cards of their own in the office. :p

dach

May 29, 2013
Thanks for the fixes Mike ( and company )! So far I'm really enjoying the experience on PC. Bloom in post processing is kinda ugly but you can solve that in due time.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Not putting this in the bug thread since I'm not sure what the deal actually was and it didn't break the game, but earlier when I was done playing Creature from the Black Lagoon I exited the table menu to the main menu and I got a black screen with white text that looked like a leftover debug thing of some sort complaining about memory allocation with options to force quit, continue, disable breakpoint and some other option. I chose continue and the game went back to the main menu no problem.

crazywolf

Jul 9, 2013
Nice work. But rumble is not mine. Is it possible to disable it (possible in options in future releases)?

otto4711

Nov 6, 2013
hello

i hope that the pp bug with ati cards will be solved in the future
and may be u want to add a "glas panel view" over the playfield too
fore more realistic feel
atm it looks like a typical computer pinball game

but compared to fx2 the ball physics seems to be very good
feels faster and more realistic
with fx2 u know exactly where the ball will land after u hit something.
in pinball arcade it feels more unpredictable like a real pinball.
and every round fells unique on totan (haven't played the others much)

i hope the prices in euro will be adjusted a bit :)
a nice christmas quotation with both season packs would be nice ;-)

Last edited:

Pantah010

Jan 31, 2013
Cool the winxp bug is gone ;)

Now for the vertical aspect ratio :rolleyes:

Or better jet, the 2 monitor support!

Hope to see it soon, thanx PP
:p

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
the new rumble feature is actually quite good :) but it would be nice to have an option to disable it in the future for reasons people posted above (shorter battery life, some just dont like the rumble) -> more options = better

good to see the updates coming so fast and with no problems :)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I agree about the desperate need for high-res textures but at the same time am glad the release happened now rather than later. It might helps sales if Farsight add to the game description not only the fact that new tables will be released, but that all tables will get upgraded textures PLUS better lighting. It's been mentioned in some place like Facebook so why not shout about it.

Overall a very impressive first release, and great physics.

Key wants:
Cab or at least portrait support.
High Res textures
Awesome lighting
More challenging gameplay like a real pin - ability to adjust slope, etc.

Pinhead45

Dec 30, 2012
What do you have the reflection set to?
Try setting it lower, the reflections really hits the performance. And make sure that Post Processing is off. You can play with the AA settings as well once you get the performance happening.

Right click Pinball Arcade in the games library list and choose launch configuration utility
Ok I took away the ball reflection and that helps alot. Still having trouble with Ripley's, Haunted house, TOM, and EATPM. Those tables play really slow. Maybe i can do some more tweaking. Are there settings besides the ones in the launch box on steam, where you click play? The other tables are amazing; whoever did the physics needs a promotion. This beats PS3 by a long shot. This will definitely be my platform of choice.

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
I've been playing most of the demo tables (Win8.1 x64, Geforce GTX 480, 1080p).

Overall it's great to finally have this on PC, but I agree that a few of the textures need work @ 1080p. Some backlight textures are especially bad. I suspect it won't happen until we get the PS4 lighting as it makes sense for FS to do it for the PS4 and port it across.

I do get a slight lag though on the keyboard response. Not terrible, but less responsive than the iPhone version (which has an excellent response). It helped when I dropped reflections to Low and lowered AA a bit, but it's still not perfect, flippers feel a little soggy. Mike, is it possible the nVidia driver is buffering too many frames internally? I know this is done to increase perf, but for a latency-sensitive game like pinball it would be great to side-step that (at least have the option).

I also would like to adjust the render FOV very slightly - the tables feel slightly cramped to me on the big screen (coming from an iPhone). I'd like to widen the FOV just a couple degrees or so so the table stretches further back a bit.

Also Mike, how about adding true motion blur to the ball and flippers? I don't mean fake blur (just blending in old frames) - I mean actually rendering them at a higher framerate and accumulating the results. As most of the table is static, you can motion-blur render just those elements efficiently. If some GPU perf is available for that, it would give even better visual motion information, even if rendering is already topping out at 60fps. It should make judging the speed, as well as the perceived feel of the ball and flippers much better (as well as look cool), with no major performance hit.

EDIT: in fact you could even just use mesh/shader tricks to approximate real motion-blur (stretch along the path of motion). The motion of the flippers is of course completely predictable, but it might even work OK for the ball (more or less).

Last edited:

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
Is it possible to turn off reflections when having multiball? I only get slowdown on some tables when I have 3 or more balls playing at the same time.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I've been playing most of the demo tables (Win8.1 x64, Geforce GTX 480, 1080p).

I do get a slight lag though on the keyboard response. Not terrible, but less responsive than the iPhone version (which has an excellent response). It helped when I dropped reflections to Low and lowered AA a bit, but it's still not perfect, flippers feel a little soggy. Mike, is it possible the nVidia driver is buffering too many frames internally?

Did you try changing the nVidia frame setting suggested here yet?

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...pper-delay-in-TPA-PC-version-please-read-this

_gl

Jul 5, 2012
Did you try changing the nVidia frame setting suggested here yet?

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...pper-delay-in-TPA-PC-version-please-read-this

Thanks Silver - that was it (as I thought), forgot there's a setting in the nV panel for it.

But I suggest people change this just for TPA (Program Settings) rather than globally. Reducing pre-rendered frames does affect performance in games.

Would be best if FS could enforce this in the engine as it makes a big difference, and many people won't know how to fix it.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Is it possible to turn off reflections when having multiball? I only get slowdown on some tables when I have 3 or more balls playing at the same time.

Changing Ball Reflections to Low will only update one ball per frame, so multiball won't affect performance.

LamerDeluxe

May 8, 2013
Just tried it out on my XP, C2D6600, GTX460, 2GB machine in 3D with TriDef and it works great, even with post-processing enabled. Thanks for fixing this so quickly!

N

netizen

Has anyone noticed the R powerfield magnet on TZ is a bit dodgy. The best I can describe it is that it seems to function oddly, not at all like the powerfield does on mobile. if this were a real table i'd almost be asking if the power line were good because of how it acts; especially during the powerball mania.

JTenebrous

Nov 6, 2013
Experiencing the AMD/ATI Post-processing bug on my rig (Win7x64, i7 3820 proc, 16gb ram, AMD Radeon 7970 GPU, Catalyst 13.10 drivers). Looking forward to that getting fixed *big-time*. Tables are looking pretty flat without any glow emanating from the lights... comparing it on my PC and my PS3 right now, PC is sharper (I'm forcing 4x Supersampled AA and x16 anistropic filtering) and the response is fantastic, but the PS3 is definitely looking more atmospheric (and that matters to me, what can I say?). I'll probably (re)purchase the tables once that's sorted, but following that there are 3 big items for the PC release on my wishlist: 1.) Better, sharper, proper HD textures 2.) Portrait mode (I don't even need cabinet features yet - I just want to play in portrait with the proper aspect ratio like in other notable pinball games) 3.) DX11 Lighting - (I know this is coming and I can't wait! Wish PS4 was playing second fiddle to the superior PC and not the other way around, but oh well). You've obviously got a lot of hard work left to do to make the most of this platform, but it's going to be amazing when it's all polished up! Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.