Request Phantom of the Opera - playfield too bright

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
On Phantom of the Opera its REALLY hard to play as the playfield is so bright it clashes with the rest of the table graphics. It feels like the whole playfield is backlit.

This problem never came up on season 3 so I thought Farsight were on top of it after how problematic it had been on season 1 & 2 tables on PS3.

I'm gutted to see this issue again on season 4 for PC now, it feels like Farsight aren't learning from their past mistakes. I haven't experienced this problem on any PC table until now, although I haven't played them all.

Like I said when the problem came up on PS3 before, the playfield should be darker than the rest of the decals to give the illusion of depth, prevent clashes and allow the bits of the table that ARE lit to appear to lighten/darken without having the contrast blown out. The latter of which sadly still DOES occur on many if not most tables.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I agree. It's the first thing I noticed. After 50+ tables, I didn't think this would ever be an issue, but man, the lighting is just way too bright. As a beta tester, I can tell you the iOS version is much more playable. On the PC, the playfield art is much too busy for this kind of lighting.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Its worth noting, I am also running without post processing - but that I should think would only make things WORSE.

I just tried to test on Android to see what its like on there, it seems trying to start a free trial of any table just crashes on my Note 3. :(

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I agree. It's the first thing I noticed. After 50+ tables, I didn't think this would ever be an issue, but man, the lighting is just way too bright. As a beta tester, I can tell you the iOS version is much more playable. On the PC, the playfield art is much too busy for this kind of lighting.
Still waiting for that iOS version :/

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
It may be that FarSight are prepping for the updated lighting tech in dx11. I think there has been a general trend towards more brightly lit tables, making the actual lights difficult to distinguish from the playfield art.

But yeah I agree, it's too bright for the environment. And that's with PP off.

There really needs to be more consistency. Whitewater is another playfield that springs to mind. It's not too bright but it just looks odd on the PC. If anything it may be too dark. Compare that to POTO.

Last edited:

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
As usual, FS always works out the bugs (of tables) completely. It's just a matter of time eh. Some very quickly...sometimes very long. Given, I would love it if one can change a table for an em or something. Let alone, erase it (due to funds or something).

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Is this actually out on Steam now, as im still on version 1.31.7, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but doesnt help!!?

p6800

May 17, 2013
Wanted to post on the "first impressions" about the crazy bright playfield, but i found this thread. Can't believe that no one realized this before, during testing.

There was pink hue in the past, gone, now this "too bright" thing. Hope to see dx11 soon and we can get a break from this issues.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I just realized, not only is this too bright, there're no special lighting tricks like those in High Speed and Dracula. This table IRL also has moments when the GL turns down for light shows, but it's not present here. Was FS too busy with TAF to give this table the same care it gave it's previous tables? I'm very disappointed. FarSight is better than this.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
dx11 - which is used as a synonym for proper lighting - could solve al lot off issues at once, I agree.

nromo

Feb 21, 2014
This is the worst looking table I have ever seen! What is this? Visual pinball? Looks like graphics from DX7. Image is so flat and washed out it's sickening!
Farsight, get you act together or I am done buying tables!

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I can agree some areas are brighter than they should be and it's in our database.
10703728_857608804271117_3915622142119440892_n.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts