Physics

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
It's hard to explain but I'll give it a shot. Granted the 360 hasn't received an update in an eternity, but the ball physics are actually much better without the benefit of the new updates. I MUCH prefer the physics on the 360 to the PS3. The best way I can explain it is the ball feels "stiffer" on the PS3. For instance, when dropping through a rollover, in real life the ball rarely just falls through smoothly, it kinda bounces back and forth and appears to be wiggling its way through. The 360 emulates this much better than the PS3 where it feels more like the ball glides through.

The weighting of the ball feels different now on PS3 since the updates. A friend of mine almost stopped playing because he didn't like the new physics. I personally much prefer them now. I find the ball weight feels about perfect on the 360, and a tad heavy on the PS. There is also more of a "stick" to the flippers on the 360, which more accurately emulates how the ball kind of bounces or skips down the flippers in real life. The PS does have this but it just doesn't look as natural as the 360.

It's not that I dont like the physics on the PS, but I just prefer them much better on the 360. The only reason I've bought all of the tables on the PS is because I'm a junky. But as soon as the 360 catches up I doubt I'll ever touch the PS version again.

The best way I can compare it to those of you with a console and a mobile version is this. You can feel the physics on the PS feel more lively and natural than the mobile versions due I'm sure to the larger processing power of the console. It's the same difference I find then from PS to 360.

And it's not my imagination. I've spent ALOT of time on all versions and they feeel very different. Not to mention all the differing flipper physics due to updates n such. But thats another discussion.....

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Also this is comparing same table to same table. Not the post STTNG tables.

Haven't they been updating the oldies as we go too? Black Hole is way different than it was a few updates ago. I would think once 360 gets a update they would play the same.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It actually makes a difference depending on how long you hold the plunger back. Of you flick it down and let go at a specific point, you will get a more powerful plunge then if you pull it back and hold it at that point for a second
I've noticed this on the Android version but not the consoles. It might be compensating for the lack of analog controls.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Haven't they been updating the oldies as we go too? Black Hole is way different than it was a few updates ago. I would think once 360 gets a update they would play the same.

Honestly I hope not. They can definitely clean up the tables (bugs etc) but the physics are still better even with the updates. They are more like AFM, but still better...

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
It actually makes a difference depending on how long you hold the plunger back. Of you flick it down and let go at a specific point, you will get a more powerful plunge then if you pull ot back and hold it at that point for a second

Yeah, I know this. The plunger is still wildly inconsistent even accounting for what you're talking about.

Tabe

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, I know this. The plunger is still wildly inconsistent even accounting for what you're talking about.

Tabe

Plunger physics has made skill shot goals much more work than necessary. Took me about 50 tries to get the skill shot goal on FunHouse-and more on BoP. But hey, plungers were always "iffy" at most arcades I went to-so no major worries there.

N

Nik Barbour

Tip for consistent nudging on mobile versions:-

Draw finger back to the desired plunge level, then keeping this finger perfectly still, touch the screen elsewhere with another finger or hand.

This overloads the expected number of touch inputs and causes a plunger release. This method feels very consistent for me on Android.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts