Pinball After Dark

fuzzyfoot88

Sep 7, 2012
Time to start this thread. What tables will be added to this app? Is this their way of doing 2 tables a month still? One per app? Discuss...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
maybe thats how FS going to get on 360? with no family mode. Cant think of alot of tables theyd need to make this for without huge licences, doesnt make sense. Hopefully it becomes more than a App.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Maybe they could release all the tables but with an expletive in the title like "Attack From MotherF(&^#&* Mars" or "Bride-B*#& of Pimp-bot"

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Maybe they could release all the tables but with an expletive in the title like "Attack From MotherF(&^#&* Mars" or "Bride-B*#& of Pimp-bot"

^^^^^^
Pure marketing genius! :p

Seriously, though, I could see this as an every other month title release. But, yea, the majority of the pins that would fit this is a licensed one. You got Sega/Stern games that run Whitestar (which FarSight has emulated) like South Park, Playboy and Sopranos. Then you got the S.A.M. titles (which FarSight has not emulated yet) like Family Guy and Metallica.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker, I think, still have control over South Park and might be cool with a small fee for using it. Playboy can't be too expensive. Subscription to that mag has to have dwindled and any chance for promotion is good for them. Sopranos could be tough. All the actors on the translite. Some voices used in the game. I would like to see it though. My wife likes the show and would love the pin by I'd never pay the going rate for a real one.

Of course, you got the Nordman/Freres custom game Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons which is almost a sure thing.

Maybe they might shoe horn TFTC in there even though, I think, it could pass for regular TPA. The Bally Playboy? I know some people want it but there's so many other Bally's of that era which are not licensed at all that could be done to greater satisfaction. Lets not even talk about the DE Playboy. It's a pooper.

Last edited:

fuzzyfoot88

Sep 7, 2012
I could see the adult version of scared stiff getting on here, just to pad it out a tad. Redundancy aside, I don't think they would have announced they were working on it unless they already had a season's worth of tables in mind. The only issue I have is that I would like to have all my tables under one roof. I'm not gonna be picky considering the possibilities here though.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I imagine they could move Medieval Madness and Scared Stiff over as the opening tables with the non-family mode roms. Since MM is a reissue that was given away for "free" and SS would also be a reissue they could probably sell it as a 2-pack app for $2 or $3 or something and include pro-modes for the tables.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well they said that even a table like Gorgar was pushing the rating, simply because of art and theme. Someone somewhere else commented that a lot of EMs had racy art packages. I do believe that a push for this though is simply so FS can do Big Bang Bar. I can't remember if it is Gene Cunningham or somebody involved with the original release that has been pushing for FS to do it, but they know it won't pass muster with the E 10 rating.

Taking a wild guess, I don't think there'd be a regular release schedule for After Dark tables. We're all saying there can't be THAT many, and then there's the "we only have time to release one a month" reason they're using now. With no schedule date to make, they could take their time. Now I don't know the answer to this, but are Stern's Playboy and Sopranos of the same system as Ripley's? Again, just thinking what we know FS can do Stern wise, versus what they've said they currently aren't capable of.

ZenTron

Jul 21, 2013
Stern's Playboy and The Sopranos use the same MPU as Ripleys. I agree with the no set schedule similar to Zen and think the pricing will be same as Season 3.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
non-family mode with permanent DARK setting. FS figured out how to simulate bloom on mobiles...hence App. :p <speculating

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Stern's Playboy and The Sopranos use the same MPU as Ripleys. I agree with the no set schedule similar to Zen and think the pricing will be same as Season 3.

Well then I think those are a very distinct possibility for the future then.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Well they said that even a table like Gorgar was pushing the rating, simply because of art and theme.

So that's probably why the original PS2/Wii/PSP (and then 3DS) versions of the Williams collection got an E10+...

I'd understand in the case of Medieval Madness and Gofers on the PS3/360 ones, but I honestly didn't find anything on that one that would've really made it E10+ worthy. Like, other than Gorgar's art, everything could've just went with an E rating.

Although let's be glad neither PHOF Williams nor TPA had this on the flyers section, otherwise it may have jumped towards a Teen rating.

...and now that I think about it, there's Gottlieb/Premier's Spring Break and its rather racy (and live-action too) flyer and backglass...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't really understand the makeup of ratings for vid games, what exactly moves things from E to Teen. I had a conversation with Norman at FS where I argued that things said in Medieval Madness were every bit as suggestive as things said in Scared Stiff, and he agreed that MM might have slipped under the radar. I think FS was trusting that if the ROM didn't have a family mode, it must have been okay.

I should point out, I'm basing my opinions entirely on how things are viewed in the US.

If the ratings are for video games are anywhere near as screwy as they are for movies, well who knows what constitutes an 'After Dark' table. For instance, if someone smokes in a movie now, it is an automatic PG-13 unless it is being used as an argument against. You can drop a maximum of 2 F-bombs in a PG-13 movie so long as they are not used in a sexual context. "Drop the f__kin' gun!" = PG-13, while "You motherf__ker" = R. Bloody squib hits are not allowed in a PG flick, and are heavily frowned upon in PG-13. However, if you are shooting at an alien with green or blue blood, buckets of the stuff can flow. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I had heard that kicking a person in the face while doing martial arts would get you an automatic R. The Matrix could have been PG-13 were it not for that and the use of songs with swearing in the end credits.

I look back at movies from 25 years ago that were rated PG, and many of them would be considered R now. Sixteen Candles, with swearing, teen drinking, nudity? Or Better Off Dead where a character is snorting whatever he thinks could get him high, and they show it? Beastmaster or Sheena where Tonya Roberts got nekkid for long stretches of screen time?

Point is, we may laugh at what might be considered an 'After Dark' title, but the politically correct age we live in now, who knows what gets the ESRB's panties in a bunch.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
so THE ADDAMS FAMILY then! :p think about it...AFTER years of being in the DARK fs was able to secure TAF makes perfect sense. :p

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Jack Nicholson once said something to the effect that the mpaa was all wrong based on the idea they favor violence over love. He said if you kiss a breast, it's an r rating but if you hack it off with a sword it gets a pg

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Jack Nicholson once said something to the effect that the mpaa was all wrong based on the idea they favor violence over love. He said if you kiss a breast, it's an r rating but if you hack it off with a sword it gets a pg

I heard this applies to a penis as well. :p.

There's a decent documentary about the MPAA called This Film Is Not Yet Rated. Check it out if you want to hear about how much of a sham it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.