Pinball Arcade "Coming Soon to PS4" Trailer on PSN

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
The ambient lighting does not change on Cirqus Voltaire in the promo video...only the G.I. lighting on the playfield itself does.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Took me forever (sadly very few pin purists who don't go the LED route) and found pictures that show exactly what a pinball looks like in the pitch darkness:

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Mark_Wyda/library/?view=recent

That's more or less how I remember it looking at papa.

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-MEM2MedA

is actually kinda close to the Farsight version. Gofers just has weird lighting irl.

I think the problem here is that instead of just giving us the option of day or night, or a user adjustable ambient lighting slider, Farsight has come up with this pitch dark room, pinball with magical inserts and spotlights "solution", to please both sides.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The ambient lighting does not change on Cirqus Voltaire in the promo video...only the G.I. lighting on the playfield itself does.

Yeah, SS it's got to be your camera, or even your TV's gamma correction.

@Mark: good pics. Great demonstration of how inserts should look (notice they don't light up the playfield around them like a spotlight).

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I noticed on CFTBL as the ball goes across the hologram the ball looses its reflection also it gets really dark in the middle.
Left to Right.

This has always been the case with TPA on current-gen consoles and now in the PC beta. It also happens on ramps, transparent plastics and upper playfields. Makes the ball look like it's floating. Good example is on NGG.

Thought it may have been addressed by now.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Surely the PS4 is powerful enough to pull off more realistic lighting than the PS3/Xbox versions and give us the features and fixes we've been asking for since day 1?
If this video represents the final product the PS4 will be the latest unfinished and unpolished rush job of TPA. :(

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
I'm not only in the minority, I'm clearly the only person here who is saying this: I like the look.

With exception to Theatre of Magic. Good God, what is happening there??!!??

However this shows, more than ever, why "daytime" mode is needed.

When people this running 1080P/60fps with lots of AA and seeing how dyniv lighting looks at that frame rate opinions will change. It will look smooth and realistic watch. Because at 30fps it looks phony yeah cause it's 30fps.

Stills and 30 fps video do not do this sort of thing justice. We need direct feed footage at 60fps. Then we can pass judgement.

I like the look too , PS3 should be more than able to render graphics like that ,but perhaps it takes a hit in the performance and this is why they tone the detail and lighting down . I was the one pleading with FarSight to add shadows and cast lighting effects , and now that I see what they did with Ps4 , I'm happy they heard me , and intend to deliver those effects for PC and Ps4 .

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just watched again and it must have been my camera but I can see that wood railing flash with the lights. Im watching the video from PSN on PS3.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
But there's still 3 months remember Homer Simpson skull? Pink city T2? Alot can and will change.

Yes, but that changed partly because we all threw a little snit fit over it. As I've posted elsewhere, I think FarSight is 95% there. We just need to encourage them to go that final 5%, and not let them think, "ah, it's good enough". That means no harsh blooms, no inserts blowing out into a solid blob, no light bleed, and ambient light control.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
What I really take to that video is how much the sound could be improved in TPA. From the sound of the flippers to the sound of the ball a it travels through the Rapids and hits targets.

YES. SO this

I love the sound of the drop targets in Zaccaria. TPA needs that. Just sounds..."right".

Last edited:

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
It frustrates me that the inserts are lighting up the playfield. That physically cannot happen. I am shocked why they are taking this approach with the new lighting ... it is a step backwards in terms or realism.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
FarSight haven't posted mention of this video on their site or Facebook page yet, and although their FB profile is quite chatty these days, it made no comment when I posted about the video there. The stupidly optimistic side of me is enjoying imagining that this is because they're already cooking up something better. : P

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
FarSight haven't posted mention of this video on their site or Facebook page yet, and although their FB profile is quite chatty these days, it made no comment when I posted about the video there. The stupidly optimistic side of me is enjoying imagining that this is because they're already cooking up something better. : P

Hmmmm. That is interesting though if you think about it.

User adjustable lighting could be the big feature that really sells people on the PS4 version, and makes the upgrade well worth it. I hope Farsight is listening.

Queue

Aug 28, 2013
User adjustable lighting could be the big feature that really sells people on the PS4 version, and makes the upgrade well worth it.

I agree that adjustable lighting is a highly desirable feature that Farsight should consider for the PS4 port, but I would like to have that option on the Wii-U port as well, especially since it's been in development limbo for so long. Ideally, it would be nice to have adjustable lighting on every platform that can support it, but given Farsight's track record on updating old platforms, that probably won't happen.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I agree that adjustable lighting is a highly desirable feature that Farsight should consider for the PS4 port, but I would like to have that option on the Wii-U port as well, especially since it's been in development limbo for so long. Ideally, it would be nice to have adjustable lighting on every platform that can support it, but given Farsight's track record on updating old platforms, that probably won't happen.

Most of the lighting is baked on the current gen systems and probably Wii U as well. Making that really difficult to implement.

Farsight probably pulled manpower off the Wii U version once they saw the sale tanking. Same thing happened with the PSVita; the quality has dropped dramatically from the launch tables.

Btw I love the Wii U and think its a great system. If it was 199$ I'd really consider getting it over PS4.

Queue

Aug 28, 2013
Farsight probably pulled manpower off the Wii U version once they saw the sale tanking. Same thing happened with the PSVita; the quality has dropped dramatically from the launch tables.

Btw I love the Wii U and think its a great system. If it was 199$ I'd really consider getting it over PS4.

You're exactly right, Mark. The Wii-U would make a great budget console at the $200 price point, but at $300+, it just isn't worth what it costs. Nintendo really dropped the ball with what could have been the most financially successful eighth generation console.

As for Farsight, I, too, suspect that they've reallocated their resources to more lucrative platforms like the PS4, which is why I probably won't be purchasing TPA on the Wii-U — assuming it's ever released. If the nine-month development time for a basic conversion of the PS3 port is any indication, the Wii-U port probably won't be getting much attention from Farsight throughout the lifespan of the console.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
You're exactly right, Mark. The Wii-U would make a great budget console at the $200 price point, but at $300+, it just isn't worth what it costs. Nintendo really dropped the ball with what could have been the most financially successful eighth generation console.

As for Farsight, I, too, suspect that they've reallocated their resources to more lucrative platforms like the PS4, which is why I probably won't be purchasing TPA on the Wii-U — assuming it's ever released. If the nine-month development time for a basic conversion of the PS3 port is any indication, the Wii-U port probably won't be getting much attention from Farsight throughout the lifespan of the console.

I think the Wii U port will more than likely get what the 360 has rather than the PS3.

Queue

Aug 28, 2013
I think the Wii U port will more than likely get what the 360 has rather than the PS3.

Disappointing nonetheless, although to be expected. I had hoped that Farsight would make use of the Wii-U's more advanced GPU, but any interest that they had in tailoring TPA for the Wii-U's hardware probably fizzled out once the PS4 was announced.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.