image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
While I'm here, I'll post a pic of my machine post-LED kit:
img_0833v2s3u.jpg

Have to say, it does a great job of taking the focus off little bits of the playfield that need touching up... which I was surprised with, because I thought it would show them more. So I'm more than happy with the results :D

I've been thinking about my second machine, and I kinda think I want to go for a Fish Tales. I honestly don't know why it gets the hate it does (Josh Blood on Pinball Soul mentions this, and I've heard one of the other podcasts talk about it in a negative tone) but I think it would be a great machine to have. It was also pretty popular here in Australia, so hopefully a half-decent one won't set me back too much.

Can anyone here elaborate on it's less than stellar reputation amongst pinheads?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
The guys I know through pinball all love Fishtales, I havent played much of it myself and when I have its kicked my a** so I've yet to fall in love with it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I was speaking to a friend last night and mentioned that the next machine I'd want to get would be FT... full knowing that I literally don't have any room to put it. He tells me that he might actually be able to get me one, as another friend of his has it.

Down the slippery slope I go!

The guys I know through pinball all love Fishtales, I havent played much of it myself and when I have its kicked my a** so I've yet to fall in love with it.
This is good to know. Maybe it's just the podcast guys who don't seem to like it for some reason.
The main reason I'm keen on it is because it doesn't have a terribly deep/complicated ruleset and is a somewhat fast table. That, and it feels like a more advanced (and easier to find!) Taxi. Plus, the overall sound and art package on it is pretty great without being overly complicated or tacky sounding. Tackiest thing is Mark Ritchie on the flyer ;)
UgPcDjfm.jpg

I might play it this arvo (there's at least one on location in my town... a bit beat up but still plays okay) and see if my thoughts still stand.

Last edited:

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Still waiting for the delivery guy to schedule a pickup of my LW3, already looking for a hook or a rollergames to keep it company.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I've heard not-so-favourable things about Hook... if you're thinking DE movie themes, isn't Last Action Hero supposed to be good?

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
why you got MAGIC cards in your PF monkey? So jealous :)

Hahah, I just saw this!

That magic card was left in the machine from the previous owner, he had several children and this was in his (3rd STORY) game room when we went to pick it up in Chicago. There were a few old-school easter eggs in there lol!! BTW - don't EVER try to carry a pinball machine down three flights of stairs with only two people... just sayin'

Oh, and I'm going to pick up my second Williams SS tomorrow!! :)

It's Blackout - a System 6 machine that was designed between Gorgar and Firepower, and then apparently held back several months due to the popularity of FP. It was "released" in 1980 (post-FP) but the ROM version and signature are actually one revision earlier than FP. It features lane-change, but no multiball. The main feature is after you light all the drop targets, it has a full GI "Blackout" on the playfield. First table to feature a computer controlled relay for the GI - which we see later in CV strobe multiball and a couple other machines... The current owner got it from somebody who had stored it in a storage unit - with the batteries still inside - and then shopped it. New ROM and boards in the backbox to replace the ones that got corroded, everything on it is fully functional except for one of the pop-bumpers needs a new transistor soldered onto it. Easy $3 fix. I don't have any pics yet, except what he sent me, so I'll put some up tomorrow when I get it in the house. I think it's going to look GREAT next to Police Force! The cab is in great shape, much better than PF. I'll have to check out the lighting situation, and I'm thinking selective LED upgrades on this one will be in order, I think they will look amazing when the Blackout happens!!

Somehow, I keep finding these 'tweeners - games designed and built by the heavyweights in Williams history, but released between legendary tables. They don't get the love that the "big boys" do, but they are awesome tables and don't carry the "premium" tag like the better known tables do. I saw a pristine TZ at a local shop, guy wanted $6999 for it! :drool:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Girlfriend has played it on VP and she loves it, the music is really good... also BANGERANG!
I played Rollergames for the first time last weekend. You'd be doing yourself a great disservice by not buying that game if you find it. The animation on the display looks damn impressive for what it is, and the sound package is off-the-charts awesome. Plays great too, obviously ;)

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I played Rollergames for the first time last weekend. You'd be doing yourself a great disservice by not buying that game if you find it. The animation on the display looks damn impressive for what it is, and the sound package is off-the-charts awesome. Plays great too, obviously ;)

I have found one ;)

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Oh, you found one? Two questions: How much and have you bought it yet? ;)

Couldn't believe how much I fell in love with it while playing my friend's one. There's so much going on with that table, but it doesn't make it complex at all... it's just a wild design (and like I said before, GREAT sound).

karl

May 10, 2012
De-railing this thread probably, but I just can not make up my mind about Star Trek or AC/DC. I decided that I am gonna sell my MM and can't make up my mind if I want another Spider Man like game with tons of modes (Star Trek) or AC/DC (looks ugly as hell and no modes but a rule set not matched by any other game I have come across)

Was not that impressed with Star Trek at first but after watching Bowen's tutorial on it, I am really starting to get into it. Really struggling with this choice

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Karl are you talking pro, premium, or LE?
I've played Star Trek Pro and I've played AC/DC LE. AC/DC just blew me away. Star Trek Pro was good, but the ST LE looks better. For me theme carries a lot of weight in these new Stern pins. Are either of these themes a total hit or miss with you? Callouts and music can get old quick if you don't like the theme.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks Kolchak. I have not played anyone of them in person

I like AC/DC but it is not a band I listen to a lot.(Same with Metallica but it is crazy fun after a few beers :)) Same with Star Trek, I guess. The new movies are ok but I like the old stuff better.

I do tend to enjoy having a few modes in my pinball games and that is the only drawback towards AC/DC I think. Not a lot of help from me there :)

About the different types: Premium probably (although I really like Star Trek blue instead of Red, AC/DC Red premium is actually the best looking out of all the different versions awailable. Lucy or no Lucy)

Last edited:

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Oh, you found one? Two questions: How much and have you bought it yet? ;)

Couldn't believe how much I fell in love with it while playing my friend's one. There's so much going on with that table, but it doesn't make it complex at all... it's just a wild design (and like I said before, GREAT sound).

About £500 and not yet, need to wait a couple of months to save up.

Krooze L-Roy

Aug 30, 2013
I own Williams Diner and Star Explorer. Really ought to get rid of the Diner, as I lack the technical ability to make basic repairs, should something break. The Star Explorer is built like a tank, and can fend for itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts