Pinfest 2016, Allentown PA

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
39c0e53e377523d8dabc06139a6a6abb.jpg

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
T Rex was busted today. ^

Got to try Rob Zombie - it was ok, but I like AMH much more.
Bride of Pinbot 2.0 - the animations are top notch, but I don't think I would go through the expense and hassle unless I loved BoP to the point of it never leaving my possession.
Full Throttle - the look and sound are great, but I wasn't that into the gameplay. The layout is interesting and it might grow on me with time. I only got to play it once.
My wife really liked Ghostbusters. In fact I didn't really hear any negative comments on it. People seemed to really love it.

My wife and I spent most of our time in the EM row. Some real gems in there. Had a blast playing All the wedge heads. Amazed at how well many of these played considering their age.

Then as is our tradition, we played Guns & Roses last. As usual my wife nearly doubled my score. She just loves that pin. It's her all time favorite.

karl

May 10, 2012
Sounds like a really awesome show.

I am really jealous that we do not have shows like this on the other side of the pond.

Kolchak, I will give you a couple of comments on machines that I own myself. Far from biased, in other words :eek:

Full Throttle is a strange beast. All the shots feels a little strange at first, no great toys to brag about,(although I think toys are mostly overrated in pinball) not a great license, a completely new flipper system and switch system, etc.

But this is a grower with a big G. If set up right, it just gets better and better the more you play and get into the rules and the flow. It is now one of the machines that I play the most in my collection. Just pure fun. Almost all the shots are pretty unique and when you get used to them, this baby can move like no other widebody. The outlanes can be a bit of struggle, though. If you find another one in the wild, I strongly encourage you to give it a few coins.

The biggest Problem with BOP 2.0 is that it is just damn hard :) Not a lot to shot for. But when you have a good grasp of the new rules, it is pretty impressive what they managed to get out of this pretty simple layout.

The multiball not only has two parts (have to be complete 6 or 7 jackpots and started again to see it all and get to the multiball wizard mode) There is also a 2x, 3x jackpot if you hit the heartbeat ramp fast (like on White water) and a challenging shot to the mode start hole where you have to hold both flippers for 5 seconds during multiball play, to get a full charge and some extra points. Not an easy task while balls are flying.

The first 4 modes are ok, but when you get to the 4 big wheel modes it kicks it up a notch. Only problem is that the mode start is a really difficult shot to make. The game also has 2 wizard modes. (that I have yet to see)

The problem is that it is really hard to accomplish anything substantial before the ball drains and then you are left with the impression that the game is just left ramp, right ramp all day.

I really like bop 2.0, but I can certainly see that this is not a game for everybody. Was it worth the conversion? well...Yesish, I guess :D

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
That was kind of my thinking on Full Throttle. I really liked the layouts and ramps. But I couldn't get a read on it from just one game.
I'm definitely not a good enough player to get everything out of BoP 2.0. If you own a BoP, love it, and have experienced everything it has to give....then this will definitely bring a new life to it. The one at Pinfest was the best looking machine there and easily the most perfect BoP I have ever seen. It had a giant blue ribbon on it just to make the point. This picture doesn't do it justice. My wife is many things, but a photographer is not one of them.

26827713231_48007cbaaa_m.jpg

karl

May 10, 2012
That looks like a jewel, no doubt about that. Love the chrome :cool:

Here is a picture of mine, right before I got it home. (had a guy help me with installing a new playfield, mirror blades and leds. ( first thing I did when I got it home was to change the legs to new chrome ones. Those in the picture had their heyday long ago)

FJE899r.jpg

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Pinfest 2017 is only a couple of days away. I will be there Friday and Saturday. Anyone else showing up?
Dtown, you looking to buy any pins this year?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'll be there Friday, from opening (11? Noon? Last year the website said noon but they opened at 11. Color me confused) until some point, usually 4ish. Once again I will be there to play and look but not purchase.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'll be there on Friday at noon as always. Sucks that it's supposed to rain. It's rained at the Allentown and York shows for, what, the last three years?

I'm not buying anything this year. I'm doing something I haven't done in a long time. Go to a pinball show JUST TO PLAY PINBALL. After Centaur, I was tuckered out from repair work. Prices have gone crazy and all the "deals" lay with game that need A LOT of work. I have so much to do around the house anymore, that I just don't have the time or money to invest in a new project. I told my wife this was the year of home improvements. We recently had our back patio redone and I installed a new front storm door today. That's just a small part of the never ending laundry list of things to do around here. I've always been grateful for TPA to get my pinball fix for games that I could never afford and I do enjoy the small collection of real games that I have.

I wouldn't mind getting a BSD one day or maybe, replacing my Top Card with another 70's Gottlieb wedgehead. Something with drop targets probably. Speaking of Gottlieb wedgeheads, while no pinball machine is "easy" to repair, I've found the 1970's single player Gottlieb's to be the easiest to do. They're fairly simple compared to a multiplayer EM. I do enjoy working on them as long as they're not a hacked mess.

Anyway, back to the show. I'm just gonna play some games. Usually the weird stuff. Obscure 80's Gottliebs. Early SS Stern stuff. A woodrail here or there. Maybe I'll try out that new Lawlor game which I think LOOKS like a POS. :p Stern? It just seems all the same anymore. Really. Each new game is just like the last. Batman. Aerosmith. Whatever.

My dad may go. He's not sure yet. I do have a friend from work that's interested too. But, I may just end up flying solo like I did at last year's York show. One thing's for sure. I WILL be getting my lunch at the wonderful Allentown Fairgrounds Market and NOT the poop stand in the pin show hall.

Last edited:

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Pinfest 2017 is only a couple of days away. I will be there Friday and Saturday. Anyone else showing up?
Dtown, you looking to buy any pins this year?
Maybe next year. I was planning to go (only live a few hours away), but something came up.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm looking forward to trying Aerosmith and Houdini. Both will be there. It's always fun to try the new stuff.
I'll be wearing a gray Cabela's hat. Feel free to say hey if you spot me.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Elder and Kolchak , bloody hell has this past year rolled around really quick !!! anyway enjoy yourselves and knock yourselves silly !!!! and I am knock myself silly on may 9th ,HOT WHEELS ON HORIZON 3 ,expansion tracks and cars !!! this big kid can`t wait !!!:cool::cool::cool:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'll be in a black "Pinball Wizard" T-shirt that looks like it is for an 80s metal band called "Pinball Wizard".

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts