360 - Request Portrait Mode

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
The game already supports a multitude of aspect ratios across platforms so I wonder if it would be possible to add support for a vertical monitor in the Xbox 360 version
Still wondering about this myself, a large portion of the screen seems kinda wasted at times on a 360. I don't think any game has done it on a 360 to date (correct me if I'm wrong).

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Still wondering about this myself, a large portion of the screen seems kinda wasted at times on a 360. I don't think any game has done it on a 360 to date (correct me if I'm wrong).

"Ikaruga" had a portrait option on Dreamcast and the XBLA version might have this as well... There are also loads of Japan-only Shmups on the 360 that offer arcade monitor aspect ratios.

For TPA I would even be satisfied to have a single screen portrait mode, with custom placement of the DMD. Multi-monitor setups only make sense on PC in my opinion.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Even just single monitor, there are creative ways to implement backglass animation (a la scared stiff) on the table and the table could leave a bit of space near the "top" for thing like that and the DMD.

I wouldn't suggest going the multi-system approach unless simply "supporting" it and enabling options was really easy on top of enabling portrait mode...would love something like that for the PC which i will also be purchasing if only for that reason.

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
"Ikaruga" had a portrait option on Dreamcast and the XBLA version might have this as well... There are also loads of Japan-only Shmups on the 360 that offer arcade monitor aspect ratios.
Cheers for that info and correcting me (I knew someone would know something:cool:). Just downloaded the trial demo on the 360 and yes the portrait mode is in there and works great, no big useless borders. So it is possible

Danzig

Mar 1, 2012
Here's my vote for the portrait mode, both for Xbox 360 and the PC. I'm actually quite surprised it doesn't already have it on the Xbox, I thought it was going to have it on launch.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
i said it in another topic and will repeat it here

portrait mode for xbox360 please... all vertical shoot em up games on xbox360 have this option too :eek:

Draftcard

May 10, 2012
i think this would be very easy and would make a lot of people happy including myself :)
even if you didn't do the cabinet thing, tvs are light and we have all sorts of cool mounts that can do portrait

this would be like playing on my cell phone, only i would be able to see the playfield lolol

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
Hell yes.

I have been waiting for this too. I have a 1080p monitor on a stand that allows you to rotate the screen. I often use it for playing shooters. It would make everything in pinball so much easier to see.

And HEY, I thought in the making-of video they mentioned that you would be able to play in portrait mode on all platforms. Was expecting the option in the game already actually.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
If they do this, i maybe buy a big lcd screen and build a cabinet so i can put the tv vertical. I watched many virtual cabinets, just like real pinball machines. But i like to sit down playing this (with beer and mates). So my tv will stand almost vertical. Hope they add this soon.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Ok, cause I'm not aware of any display cables that allow multiple different outputs on Xbox 360. PC on the other hand is definitely doable.

I haven't read through the entire thread but....while a portrait mode for the XBOX630 is a great idea, well multiple outputs is...feasable but not very feasable. The Forza Motorsport games support i believe up to 5 monitors, HOWEVER (and this is huge) it requires a copy of the game and an entire XBOX 360 for each monitor, all connected via a switch.

Now, believe me, if you check out one of these setups on youtube, well, they are nothing short of super-awesome. However, I can't see this being a very viable option for many people.

Well, i guess it wouldn't really cost more than PC pincab but it would be more of a pain to set up.

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Jun 1, 2012
You could always pick up a 2nd hand 360 and monitor and these would effectively be "slaved" to the "host" 360 running the main play-field/local game. You could have an option that specifically says "Use this 360 as Backglass/DMD" which would only be enabled to select if it detected a local network connection running another copy.

?

EDIT:
Ok, it would mean having a copy of the game/table running on each - Depends how much people want to run in a dual monitor setup...

Last edited:

Skydiver Nehus

May 27, 2012
Just chiming in to express my interest in having this feature implemented. That would be so awesome. I would wip out my carpentry skills put together a cabinet STAT. While dual monitor output would make this feature killer, I can see how this feature would be expensive for the user to achieve, so, it is what it is. When this feature becomes available I can't wait to see everyone's creative side regarding cabinet builds and controller mods! The pc has some uber VP fans that made some amazing cab builds, I know that all of us 360 users could do the same!

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
I think the multiscreen feature would be really awesome, but let's start with something much more easily achievable, and that's portrait mode. That's what this thread is about. I hope portrait mode isn't forgotten.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
Was trying to chime in with support for this in the new thread but it's closed now. The Samsung HD monitor I use to play XBox has a rotating stand that I use to play vertical shmups. Using the screen to play TPA in vertical mode will really make the playfield easier to see. I really hope this feature can be added to the consoles soon, and not ignored in a sea of requests for multiscreeen mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts