PS3 Twilight Zone discussion

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
You have to make sure the ball is settled. When it first loads the ball can roll a bit into the other lane, making it difficult to shoot, but then it rolls back into position.

I thought that this was a result of a patch because of the complaints about plungers like on Taxi that were too predictable. Their answer was a random results of power from the same pull. There is a difference between simulating the results of an analog world and creating random results. It seems like now we wind up with more random results from plungers than before.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
You have to make sure the ball is settled. When it first loads the ball can roll a bit into the other lane, making it difficult to shoot, but then it rolls back into position.

I understand that and have done as you say. The plunger is still wildly inconsistent - like pretty much every other table's.

Tabe

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Here's another (minor) bug:

If you pull back on the plunger and the ball rolls up enough to cause the camera to zoom in but NOT enough to actually go into play, when you fire the plunger again, the camera will not zoom in on the skill shot area.

Tabe

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And here I'm loving the plunger. I'm using view 1 for the plunger, by the way. I just pull back a little, that gives me a feel for how much farther I need to pull back to get in the skill shot zone, and then I pull back a touch farther. I was consistently getting the ball into the skill area with no trouble. Now if you are trying for a specific color, yeah I can see how it's not consistent. But I'm having a whole lot better luck with this plunger than I do with Taxi or BoP or TOTAN.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
When you start gumball multiball the camera stays on the gumball machine too long, 1 ball passes the upper right flipper before it zooms out.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Agreed man. It's overly bright and saturated, which really takes away from the light show.

It doesn't have to be quite as dark as the PAPA vid below (although that would be great, IMO), but I realize everyone has their own tastes, so something in the middle would probably be best for now (something along the lines of what they did with BOP) until they can add a lighting slider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYy0aNj9GLU

Video won't embed for some reason, but check it out. The difference in the multiball lighting (4:00 mark) between TPA and that vid is incredible.

Definitely agree about TZ being too bright. Would like the lighting to be a more dynamic. Like CV.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I really like the lighting on that PAPA video, with the dark blue tone, illuminated by cold red lights, really sets the "twilight zone" tone. This is a good example of a table that looks its best in a very dim light.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
All this really proves is that we need the light slider, 'cause I love the way the table looks as is! I like my pinball colorful, not all drab and gloomy like Taxi and NGG, which are VERY colorful tables. I don't know, maybe I spent too much time playing pinball in brightly lit arcades back in the day.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've never been in a brightly lit arcade. The arcades I hung out in were always dim because brightly lit means more glare/reflections on the glass/screens. Plus the light shows are just so much cooler when it's not brightly lit, as that video above demonstrates.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The arcade I worked in had the pinball tables right up front, sitting in front of windows! There was a tint on the glass, but it was plenty sunny in there. At night, we had the overhead lights on. They weren't directly above the tables, so the tables were able to show off the lights a little bit, but it certainly wasn't lights off either like at PHOF in Vegas.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
All this really proves is that we need the light slider, 'cause I love the way the table looks as is! I like my pinball colorful, not all drab and gloomy like Taxi and NGG, which are VERY colorful tables. I don't know, maybe I spent too much time playing pinball in brightly lit arcades back in the day.

There's a difference though. NGG and Taxi (along with HD) are just drab looking. There's little dynamics to their lighting either. Personally, I think CV shows off the kind of lighting and color saturation I'm looking for on the PS3. At least until Farsight can come up with something better. I agree about the slider though.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Another main problem with TZ is there are no shadows. Even if you were playing under a spotlight, there would still be shadows from the rails, sides, etc. Bright environmental lighting would make certain shadows even more evident, such as the rail shadows.

Then there's the lackluster table lights and complete lack of GI...

And the right ramp barely even looks like metal.

I just wish they'd put a little more time into sprucing it up. I mean, c'mon, this is TZ we're talking about!

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I think Gorgar is the perfect balance of lighting and color. The lighting looks great, but the colors are still bright and vivid. I think TZ is a step up from Taxi, which doesn't even look like its yellow. CV looks a bit drab IMO. The colors should pop more.

the ajp

Jun 17, 2012
Liking the twilight zone on the PS3 a lot looks very nice on my LCD tv although i agree i prefer the table darker for the lightshow to be more impressive.
Once i've got the wizard goals i will be reverting to pro mode all the time as i prefer to play it with factory settings with the extra balls set to credits like they should be .. which in itself makes the game harder .. One thing i have noticed with pro mode is settings like show time and date on now don't disappear after you quit like they did on IOS .. hopefully it will save the Lost in the zone champion now as well although i have yet to test that theory out :)

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I've activate 'In the Zone' several times and it didn't seem to give me credit the wizard goal. I think did a few other of the wizard goals and nothing is registered.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I understand that and have done as you say. The plunger is still wildly inconsistent - like pretty much every other table's.

Tabe

This is indeed true for all the tables... and it's one of the reasons I've come to actually prefer playing on the Vita since I recently got it. You can use the touch screen to launch, same as mobile versions, and be highly accurate every time.

I've tried so many things with that PS3 right stick... I kept thinking, it must be the way I'm releasing the stick... perhaps an instant of friction, or lack of friction, or small movement at the moment of release which causes the inconsistencies... but I just can't ever get predictable results either. Using a finger instead of my thumb... different angles, all sorts of things tried.

I recommend everyone get a Vita. Since TPA is cross-buy, you automatically already own the Vita versions. It's great. And I have wifi tethering on my phone, so I can be connected to PSN as well, everywhere I am. (no need to buy the more expensive 3g version and pay AT&T service charges)

Here's another (minor) bug:

If you pull back on the plunger and the ball rolls up enough to cause the camera to zoom in but NOT enough to actually go into play, when you fire the plunger again, the camera will not zoom in on the skill shot area.

Tabe

It seems the entire camera work just needs an overhaul on this game. There is also the glitch I reported with the gumball machine which is more or less game-ending/ruining.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts