Real flipperbutton options on xbox 360.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
It's too bad the X-Arcade Tankstick doesn't work better with the 360 because the pinball buttons on the side are incredible (it even has extra side buttons for nudging). It works on the 360, but you can't reassign the buttons, and the triggers and bumpers are set to different buttons for fighting games and that sort of thing....

This is the main reason I'm dying to get the PC version of TPA....

I'm totally with you on that. I played with my tankstick on Vpinball and Future pinball and, quite frankly, it freakin' rocks, feels so natural..

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It's too bad the X-Arcade Tankstick doesn't work better with the 360 because the pinball buttons on the side are incredible (it even has extra side buttons for nudging). It works on the 360, but you can't reassign the buttons, and the triggers and bumpers are set to different buttons for fighting games and that sort of thing....

This is the main reason I'm dying to get the PC version of TPA....

That's why they need to give you the option to reassign buttons. I have a first-gen X-Arcade, and I love the flipper buttons, though there are no extra buttons for nudging / magna-save. Glad to see they remedied that, as using the face buttons is too inconvenient, and assigning nudging to the control stick sometimes results in tilts when I plunge the ball.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That's why they need to give you the option to reassign buttons. I have a first-gen X-Arcade, and I love the flipper buttons, though there are no extra buttons for nudging / magna-save. Glad to see they remedied that, as using the face buttons is too inconvenient, and assigning nudging to the control stick sometimes results in tilts when I plunge the ball.

You can reassign them on PC, but not on consoles.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I find the bumper ones on the 360 pad really easy to click, actually. I mean, no offense, but if you find the 360 controller uncomfortable you obviously haven't played PHOF on the 3DS. Now THAT are some uncomfortable shoulder buttons! I'm pretty sure playing Kid Icarus Uprising for over 80 hours has left some damage to my hands, I'm glad I suddenly got really sick of that game before I developed serious RSI.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Holy crap, I just had the best idea. I have this table (which, ironically, I also bought for gaming... to mount a wheel on) and I think that when used lengthways, it would be PERFECT to simulate a pinball table. Obviously you wouldn't consider it as a proper mod or anything, just something you hacked a cheap 360 controller for (or used one of those 360 joystick PCBs they sell separately) to mount LB/RB on the sides.

I think I'm onto something.

Gail R Schwartz

Jun 26, 2012
Hi Dutch Gail Schwartz here. All controllers are the same unless u have 1 built for u. I do think there us 1 with pinball buttons on the side. Arcade fight stick with the buttons don't know if it still is around or the name. Look in web. But expensive $100.00 or more.

Draftcard

May 10, 2012
get a streetfighter fight stick and move 2 buttons to the sides
or take out the guts and build your own custom controller out of wood

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I'm going back a little bit, but does anybody remember the old NES or TG-16 pinball games? Talk about a flipper control scheme-Left on the d-pad and the "A" button (NES) or I-button (TG). I don't remember if you could adjust the control scheme then. Anyway, good times!

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
Or you can get an X-Arcade joystick. It has a button on each side...

x arcade for anything that is not a pc, has lag...

besides it's so ridicoulusly expensive, it's really not worth it - better doing it yourself for much less and with better components, or even getting someone else to do it... i made myself an arcade stick with a seimitsu stick and sanwa buttons with ps1/2/3, gamecube/wii and xbox360 compatibility mainly for street fighter and other fighting games, but becouse i use a seimitsu i get to play shootemups and other arcade style games on my exbawks and mame also :)

stay away from x arcade, that would be my suggestion

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Or you can get an X-Arcade joystick. It has a button on each side...

The problem is you can't reassign those buttons on 360 and they aren't set up as LB/RB or RT/LT.

X-arcade is good for PC if you're like me and don't want or know how to make your own or know someone who can. I love my Xarcade Tankstick and use it all the time for VP and Pro Pinball on PC.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Last I checked, you could program the X-Arcade to map any key you wanted to any button, for that reason. After all, the games are set up for a controller, which may not make for good button placement.

I know my X-arcade has 4 specific game settings plus default. You will probably need the 360 adapter though, and not plug the USB straight in. Though you may be able to do that - I can't find it, but there was a mapping for the controller buttons to the keyboard. There are also dozens of adapters that take a USB keyboard and emulate a controller as well (the X-arcade appears as a regular USB keyboard).

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Last I checked, you could program the X-Arcade to map any key you wanted to any button, for that reason. After all, the games are set up for a controller, which may not make for good button placement.

I know my X-arcade has 4 specific game settings plus default. You will probably need the 360 adapter though, and not plug the USB straight in. Though you may be able to do that - I can't find it, but there was a mapping for the controller buttons to the keyboard. There are also dozens of adapters that take a USB keyboard and emulate a controller as well (the X-arcade appears as a regular USB keyboard).

The button programming only works for PC. Unfortunately, you can't change the buttons for 360.

Check here:
http://www.xgaming.com/support/questions/15/X-Arcade™+Programming+Guide

Under "IMPORTANT NOTES":

Programming is for the PC only, and does not function on game consoles.

Last edited:

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
hm, i see the price for x-arcade has dropped significantly since the sf4 associated arcade stick boom :)

still not liking it though... the stock buttons and stick don't match the proper arcade ones (sanwa, seimitsu) in quality and its not really usable on anything thats not a pc

oh, and that button layout is just horrible :rolleyes:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It rocks for PC pinball though. Having 2 buttons on each side is great because you can have flipper AND nudge buttons. I see no problem with the button quality. I've had it for a year and I slam the buttons pretty hard, and have had no issues. The sticks aren't the best, but they're not that bad, and you can replace them with IL Eurosticks (they slide right in). The trackball is nice too (works as a mouse as well).

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
X-Arcade get's a lot of hate in the FGC, but the truth is if you are looking for the Western Style buttons it's a good option. I've heard it has input lag but I can't confirm or deny that one way or another.

I have to have proper sanwa or seimetsu buttons on my arcade stick, but pinball machine buttons are a different story. Pinball buttons aren't quite HAPP parts, but HAPP parts are much closer in feel to what's on a real machine than the Japanese style buttons.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
There was lag with the older adapters for consoles, but it seems they have that sorted now. I've only tried it on PC, and there's no lag there since it's just direct USB.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

Members online

Members online