Season 3 PS4

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014
Usually I'm very supportive of FarSight but I do kinda feel that way regarding this situation. MS is so desperate for people to purchase XB1's that they require FarSight to hold a year old part of their product back from being released on their competitor's box. WTF? I used to laugh about them doing it with new COD DLC but this is ridiculous. I guess that's why they call them Micro$oft. Lying scumbags. "The XBox One requires the Kinect to operate (sort of quote)". Oh, wait. No it doesn't.

What's too bad about the situation is that I don't think FarSight needed to make the agreement with MS to have a 30 day Season 2 exclusive deal. MS knew FS was desperate to get TPA back on their platforms and MS has seemed to have taken advantage of them. I think FS had more control in this situation than they realized. MS is the one playing catch up this generation and is more desperate to get as many indies on the XBOX One as possible because of all the past bad press. I think they were bullied into this deal by MS. Look at all the titles that MS is making exceptions for with their parity clause that have or will be released on the PS 4 first - 1001 Spikes, Awesomenauts, Outlast, Oddworld. I just wish FS had grew a set and told them no, especially with the way they were treated with the 360. Now the PS4 Season 2 is at the mercy of MS.

Last edited:

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Looks like we have a several month wait yet for season 2 on PS4. From the news thread:

FarSight is looking to release DirectX 11 support for the Steam PC version of The Pinball Arcade shortly after the release of the Xbox One version which is slated for Q3 2014

And we know the PS4 gets season 2 a month after the Xbone. So... October at the earliest.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
What's too bad about the situation is that I don't think FarSight needed to make the agreement with MS to have a 30 day Season 2 exclusive deal. MS knew FS was desperate to get TPA back on their platforms and MS has seemed to have taken advantage of them. I think FS had more control in this situation than they realized. MS is the one playing catch up this generation and is more desperate to get as many indies on the XBOX One as possible because of all the past bad press. I think they were bullied into this deal by MS. Look at all the titles that MS is making exceptions for with their parity clause that have or will be released on the PS 4 first - 1001 Spikes, Awesomenauts, Outlast, Oddworld. I just wish FS had grew a set and told them no, especially with the way they were treated with the 360. Now the PS4 Season 2 is at the mercy of MS.

And I don't see M$ backpeddling on this deal like they did on "always on Kinect" or "online only-play".

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Have you not been connecting online? Your saves should be backed up online automatically.

I think that feature is locked behind a PS+ paywall. I've also had issues with the v1.7 firmware where my saves wouldn't upload. They would error out with a message that they were created on a different PS4 system or something. It could have only been Ubisoft titles with that problem though. I haven't played AC4 or Trials lately, so maybe that was fixed in 1.71.

rehtroboi40 said:
And I don't see M$ backpeddling on this deal like they did on "always on Kinect" or "online only-play".

They will if enough 3rd parties pass on them. Doesn't seem to be happening yet. MS had an ID@xbox meeting in Chicago a few weeks before E3 and reiterated the 30 day exclusive/launch parity clause. Chubigans (indie dev of Cook, Serve, Delicious) had this to say about ID@xbox around the end of Feb.:
chubigans said:
Hearing nothing but good things about Chris Charla at the program. Unfortunately, the parity clause (something that, from what I understand, comes from the top and isn't going to change with Chris or any ID@Xbox personnel) is strangling releases right now. A large majority of indie releases this year will not be on XB1 simply due to that clause. They do allow bypasses of that clause, but do so on a case by case basis, and I'm not aware of what circumstances you need to have to do so.

You might ask, why would devs bypass the XB1 like that? That makes no financial sense, right? And the answer is, almost all these devs are coming from the PC development side, where their bread and butter is. Games on Steam are almost guaranteed to sell more than PS4/XB1 versions right now. I know that for myself, getting onto consoles would be a big bonus/fun thing to do. I'm sure others are feeling the same.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
Looks like we have a several month wait yet for season 2 on PS4. From the news thread:

And we know the PS4 gets season 2 a month after the Xbone. So... October at the earliest.

Q3 means between july and september, so u take the worst case possible... not that u couldnt be right, knowing the history ^^

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Q3 means between july and september, so u take the worst case possible... not that u couldnt be right, knowing the history ^^
Ugh. Fail on my part. Thanks for the correction.

And yes, I DO know what Q3 means - just not this time ;)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

Its an MS requirement that they have not made any exceptions for that I'm aware of. If you're going to publish digitally through the indy program for the One then you have to give the One 30 days of exclusivity in the console arena. The program is not without its perks. Allegedly they get reduced submission fees and patch fees plus expedited approval process. I don't have the knowledge to know what the extent of these perks are compared to conventional digital publishing on the One.

The only exception has been a grandfather clause for games that were announced for the PS4 before the One's indy publishing plan was announced. That is why we have tables for the PS4 already but MS told them that they have to give the One their exclusivity on season two in order to participate on the One's indy program.

Last edited:

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
I think that feature is locked behind a PS+ paywall. I've also had issues with the v1.7 firmware where my saves wouldn't upload. They would error out with a message that they were created on a different PS4 system or something. It could have only been Ubisoft titles with that problem though. I haven't played AC4 or Trials lately, so maybe that was fixed in 1.71.
Seems you're right. For some reason I thought Plus wasn't needed on PS4 for that.
And yes, the save issue was fixed in the last update. I had the same problem with Watch Dogs when it came out, but was thankfully fixed shortly after.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Its an MS requirement that they have not made any exceptions for that I'm aware of. If you're going to publish digitally through the indy program for the One then you have to give the One 30 days of exclusivity in the console arena. The program is not without its perks. Allegedly they get reduced submission fees and patch fees plus expedited approval process. I don't have the knowledge to know what the extent of these perks are compared to conventional digital publishing on the One.

The only exception has been a grandfather clause for games that were announced for the PS4 before the One's indy publishing plan was announced. That is why we have tables for the PS4 already but MS told them that they have to give the One their exclusivity on season two in order to participate on the One's indy program.

In protest, I have sold my PS4 and resolved not to support any console release of TPA. I won't support M$ for "stiff-arming" the competition like that, nor Sony for not working more effectively with FarSight to get DLC and patches out in any reasonable amount of time. Ideally, I should stop supporting FarSight for this capitulation to Microsoft (even after the "continuing 360 fiasco). But since I am a fan of The Pinball Arcade, I will continue to support the PC version. Though not perfect (delayed cab and DX11 support), I think that overall, the PC version has it right.

But this could change overnight, just look at what Apple did. Rule changes in the middle of a deal like that are one of the worst side effects of digital distribution.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
In protest, I have sold my PS4 and resolved not to support any console release of TPA. I won't support M$ for "stiff-arming" the competition like that, nor Sony for not working more effectively with FarSight to get DLC and patches out in any reasonable amount of time. Ideally, I should stop supporting FarSight for this capitulation to Microsoft (even after the "continuing 360 fiasco). But since I am a fan of The Pinball Arcade, I will continue to support the PC version. Though not perfect (delayed cab and DX11 support), I think that overall, the PC version has it right.

But this could change overnight, just look at what Apple did. Rule changes in the middle of a deal like that are one of the worst side effects of digital distribution.

Same here. I haven't even re installed it on ps4, and i don't have a pc. Their treatment of me as a customer is nothing short of a disgrace.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012

Actually MS has changed their policy some what. Yes the terms of the parity clause has not changed, however, it has become a case by case scenario. So there will be certain cases for games to slip through the cracks even after they have been on other platforms already. This came after many gamers complained to their corporate about missing out on great games due to that clause. I do agree with Thefly though. I think FS could have negotiated something where PS fans weren't effected by this. As long as it's a ONE time deal, then I'm not entirely bothered by it.

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014
I do agree with Thefly though. I think FS could have negotiated something where PS fans weren't effected by this. As long as it's a ONE time deal, then I'm not entirely bothered by it.

As long as it's a (XBOX):p ONE time deal, so be it. Now hopefully they release it soon on the XBOX One so that the 30 day countdown can begin.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
As long as it's a (XBOX):p ONE time deal, so be it. Now hopefully they release it soon on the XBOX One so that the 30 day countdown can begin.

RIGHT!!! LOL I don't want this to be an ongoing thing with FarSight and MS that Xbox will start getting tables 30 days ahead of PlayStation fans. Just this one time. I'm ready so ready for season 2. I haven't even played Pinball Arcade on PS4 in so long. I'm also ready for Whodunnit and the rest to drop. C'mon Xbox and get on with your release date so we can gauge when we'll get ours. LOL

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Have Farsight ever made any official statement on this policy? As far as I have seen it has all been fan speculation which at some point has morphed into fact.

For example... how come everyone is convinced Season 2 will come out on Xbox One first, when PS4 is getting Season 3 tables already? Surely it would apply to them too.

Happy to be proven wrong on this, of course. But I haven't seen any real information on the subject.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Have Farsight ever made any official statement on this policy? As far as I have seen it has all been fan speculation which at some point has morphed into fact.
They stated something on their Facebook that DLC can't come to PS4 until 30 days after Xbone.

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014

For example... how come everyone is convinced Season 2 will come out on Xbox One first, when PS4 is getting Season 3 tables already? Surely it would apply to them too.

Happy to be proven wrong on this, of course. But I haven't seen any real information on the subject.

From The Pinball Arcade Facebook page in response to someone asking the other day when season is coming to the PS 4.

The Pinball Arcade Because due to our contract with microsoft, the xbox one version must have season 2 for 30 days before we release it on PS4, we're already ready to go with them.

dingo99

Apr 16, 2014
I won't support M$ for "stiff-arming" the competition like that, nor Sony for not working more effectively with FarSight to get DLC and patches out in any reasonable amount of time.
At this point, I no longer believe much of anything FarSight says about their relationship with Sony... Seven months without a patch for the crappy sound is 100% on FarSight. It's easy to point the finger at Sony for delays; obviously Sony won't respond publicly to the accusations. What's certain, however, is that virtually all of the other indie games on my PS4 receive patches seemingly without drama, with some patches coming just days after release. I can't imagine what Sony would gain by artificially delaying only FarSight's submissions. IMHO, the one-sided deal with MS and the constant delays with Sony both suggest that FarSight needs more competent personnel working on console relations.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts