Simple Static Backglass Homebrewed App

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Interesting....I just assumed since the ROM support was for free play that wouldn't be an issue. I don't know who in their right minds think that "MILLIONS" are coming. I am sure it wasn't his most fun question since it probably isn't a money maker. The only thing that bothers me is that the people that ask those questions are the ones that are probably the most passionate about virtual pinball software and seeing it be successful. These will be the people that will pay (probably more than currently charged) for an entire season of early 80's SS tables vs mostly DMD tables. In general, I think everyone wants to see TPA be the best that it can be. I think a common misconception is that cabs take thousands of dollars of investment. In reality, it can be as simple as 2 smaller monitors oriented right or as much as someone wants to spend. A lot of money can be saved with a little sweat equity. I only have about $1200 in mine (just a basic 2 screen) and I could have done it a lot cheaper if I need to for budget reasons. While cabs or simpler versions aren't the most common they really could be if there was a proper commercial software product. Just my 2 cents...hope things change.

Edit: Is it possible they are looking at support for coin play for cabs? I could see that being a sticking point.

Last edited:

dwells9

Apr 19, 2013
I wish Farsight would add an option to view the backglass in desktop mode like Future Pinball, where you use the tab button to toggle up to the backglass. Just nostalgic eyecandy I guess, but it would be nice.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
It would be nice to have at least a few basic options.

When I get some time I'm going to try some basic .gifs to see if I can at least get some canned animations to run and liven it up a bit.

It will probably take forever and I'll do a horrible mess of them, but the lack of interest on FS's part seems to give me few choices if I'm dead set on having it "get better"... which I am atm.
Moveable DMD and we're really cooking!

tbh, right now, I'd rather get the DX11 and lighting improvements put in, but I know there's some folks that are pretty much fed up until their cabs work right....it's really FS's fault for having such a great engine ;) If it was just a bit more terrible, no one would care :)

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Updated: 1.0.0.41

Added: Party Zone

Fixed:phantom of the Opera wasn't in the image rotation, NGG was in there twice (the fact that no one mentioned this tells me a lot but I'll keep plugging along for a while longer regardless)

Enjoy!

Spitfire

Apr 6, 2013
[MENTION=3060]Larry[/MENTION] Hi mate finally got round to trying out you little App and have been able to see all the backglasses on my 3rd monitor as needed inside a window. Do the backglasses have to be selected manually for each of the tables played with TPA as I cant get the Backglass to come up any other way? Also if so is there any way to have themn displayed fullscreen without the window? I thought the backglass would automnaticlly display when the table in TPA was chosen? Please advise thx Joe

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Howdy, thanks for giving it a try.

Sadly, no there is no way that I can the back glasses to switch automatically. You do need to change manually each time.
I haven't found a way yet to hide the window border properly. If I try, the window goes black when TPA is re-selected in most configurations.

I'd love to fix these issues, believe me, I've tried, but without a little help "on the inside" from FarSight, I'm at the limit of my knowledge and capabilities. My personal "most wanted change" is be able to actually move the DMD over too.

Thanks for the feedback! I promise to keep trying to get rid of the window border, or better yet, hopefully make it a selectable option.
The ability to read your input when you change tables (how I originally wanted it to work) is pretty much thwarted by Windows thinking I'm some sort of keylogger or invasive data thief.

murve33

Aug 4, 2016
Bumping this absolutely ancient thread.

Circumstances finally allowed me to work on my pinball cab. It's one desktop computer with my TV screen on one side of the room, and then a two-monitor cab on the other side of the room; so not a dedicated cab. The simplicity in this tool is great, and I'm happy I finally found it (the free camera mod was such a headache). Thank you Larry for your work on this.

One tip to make this look great. Set your BackGlass Width and Height to be larger than your 2nd monitor's resolution and then set your BackGlass Loc X to -10 and your Loc Y to a value that surpasses the resolution. It looks fullscreen on my setup.

Some day I'll make a dedicated cab (maybe when VPE is up-and-running) but until then, this is great!

Edit: Wow this hasn't been updated in a while, so it's missing a huge chunk of backglass images. Plus the app forces TPA into windowed mode.
My new (much better) solution is to just display the backglass images in IrfanView in fullscreen mode. Now I can use GIFs, and quickly scroll through with the scroll wheel! Idk why I didn't think of that sooner...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts