So, Attack from Mars has a Family Mode...

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
American "bad language" is not an issue in Europe. Perhaps in the UK?

To retain a low rating in the US, maybe it would help to implement a password protection feature for the adult mode.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
But you guys are missing the point. Naughty language and suggestive themes are not the reason they leave this out. Pro Mode passes through the same ESRB ratings system as the table itself.

And besides, Party Monsters and Creature from the Black Lagoon have more suggestive/violent things in them than Attack from Mars. But those tables don't have Family Modes that Farsight can make money off of.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
In the end this should all be a minor gripe. Hitting as many required targets as possible, before you drain your last ball, is what makes the game the game, and that much remains.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Forum lay-out for noobs
1 Create a section called "General Discussions",
2 place it at the top of the board.
3 Give up on moving threads eventually

Good thing you fellas avoided that pitfall.

The table is less than a few weeks away from release. Moving the thread here isn't something I agree with.

I should have framed the OP as follows:

Thread Title: Family Mode in Upcoming Releases

Body: How do you guys feel about having to pay extra for family mode? In SS blah blah blah in MM blah blah blah, and now in Attack From Mars, these are the quotes etc. Do you feel it's worth it.

There, totally General Discussion friendly. Frankly this is an important discussion that shouldn't be tucked away to an obscure sub section of the board. But it's my fault for not framing the OP properly.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Shouldn't everyone wait until AFM is actually released before everyone starts getting thier panties in a bunch over what's in or not in it.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
In the end this should all be a minor gripe. Hitting as many required targets as possible, before you drain your last ball, is what makes the game the game, and that much remains.

Not to me. It bugs me not having the tables complete. And I think it bugs a lot of people. I don't like playing games with missing speech samples. It detracts from the fantastic production work that went into them.

Shouldn't everyone wait until AFM is actually released before everyone starts getting thier panties in a bunch over what's in or not in it.

Or at least wait for the public Android beta.

Or we make some noise now while there's still time.

I hear you guys, but Farsight is on record saying that the policy is to enable Family Mode whenever possible. If I wasn't dead confident they will do this I wouldn't have made the thread. I'd love to be proven wrong however.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The table is less than a few weeks away from release. Moving the thread here isn't something I agree with.

I should have framed the OP as follows:

Thread Title: Family Mode in Upcoming Releases

Body: How do you guys feel about having to pay extra for family mode? In SS blah blah blah in MM blah blah blah, and now in Attack From Mars, these are the quotes etc. Do you feel it's worth it.

There, totally General Discussion friendly. Frankly this is an important discussion that shouldn't be tucked away to an obscure sub section of the board. But it's my fault for not framing the OP properly.

Well, sorry if you don't agree, but it's the way we handle it, and it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Once the table is released, the threads are moved to their specific table subforums, so they don't belong in the General section at any point in time, regardless. The table section of the forum should not be an obscure place for regular visitors. If everything was posted in the General section, then it would be an absolute mess. It's also Gord's policy that users who continually post threads in improper sections will be placed on a restricted list. One of the main purposes of a forum is to have organized sections, so please use them properly.

Now let's keep this on topic.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And besides, Party Monsters and Creature from the Black Lagoon have more suggestive/violent things in them than Attack from Mars. But those tables don't have Family Modes that Farsight can make money off of.

Wait, I thought Party Monsters did have a family mode, cause I thought I read a bunch of quotes somewhere that aren't in the game. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
For all I know, they're contractually obligated to bring the base game in at a E rating and then have more flexibility with add-ons.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
It bugs me not having the tables complete.
Then go buy pro mode? You get full operator menu access. That makes it a "complete" table. If you're that much into pinball, then FS made pro mode just for you. You want it all? You pay more. What's all the fuzz about? I don't get it.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
What I find ironic is that up until about a month ago there was no way to access the non-family mode. And no one seemed to really say much. Now that they offer the option of unlocking the non-family mode people start to complain. I'm happy we at least have an option now. I wish we didn't have to pay extra to get them un censored, but it is what it is. For the few tables I think it worth it to have, it won't break me. (I will say, however, that i think the pro mode is a bit overpriced)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
What I find ironic is that up until about a month ago there was no way to access the non-family mode. And no one seemed to really say much. Now that they offer the option of unlocking the non-family mode people start to complain. I'm happy we at least have an option now. I wish we didn't have to pay extra to get them un censored, but it is what it is. For the few tables I think it worth it to have, it won't break me. (I will say, however, that i think the pro mode is a bit overpriced)

The only tables that I know that has a family mode was medieval madness and it was turned off. Paying extra to turn off family mode is a "feature" introduced with scared stiff and the debut of pro.

The excuse was ss was too r rated. Even if you believe that, then what's the excuse for AfM?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Then go buy pro mode? You get full operator menu access. That makes it a "complete" table. If you're that much into pinball, then FS made pro mode just for you. You want it all? You pay more. What's all the fuzz about? I don't get it.

It's simple. We didn't have to pay extra to have the uncensored version of Medieval Madness, and there's some pretty raunchy stuff in there. So the whole E for Everyone (except dlc which makes no sense anyway) thing is a bunch of malarkey.

What sucks the most isn't that I have to pay extra, it's that if I want to have a serious chase at the leaderboards I have to use the family mode anyway.

For all I know, they're contractually obligated to bring the base game in at a E rating and then have more flexibility with add-ons.

Then explain medieval madness.

Hell Bride of Pinbot is more risqué than attack from mars.

Last edited:

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012

To clarify , I think Attack From Mars will be awesome , and by March or April it's a must buy the moment it hits PSN .

But I believe the whole "PRO MODE" controversy would be alleviated on the consumer side , if FarSight were to discount the price point for owners of the standard tables , instead of asking us to not only "double-dip" but pay even more for a more authentic pinball recreation of a DLC already purchased. They have our $4.99 for said tables already , why milk us for another $6.99 for extra features ?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
To clarify , I think Attack From Mars will be awesome , and by March or April it's a must buy the moment it hits PSN .

But I believe the whole "PRO MODE" controversy would be alleviated on the consumer side , if FarSight were to discount the price point for owners of the standard tables , instead of asking us to not only "double-dip" but pay even more for a more authentic pinball recreation of a DLC already purchased. They have our $4.99 for said tables already , why milk us for another $6.99 for extra features ?

I remember way back when ohhhh it musta been at least 6 months ago that people were obsolutly ghussing over the cheap price of tpa tables compared to the gameplay. Many were saying theyd pay double!

Now that we have certain features that are only avalible to collectors were suddenly on the free bandwagon

The issues and varibles that go into unlocking roms justify the price in my mind but id like some more incentive in whatever form that may be.

We all i assume love this game and nobody really requires the op menu if your honest.

Ipads androids 360s ps3 we pay 10 times for one single title and it lasts
what a few hours these days?

Ask yourself how many hours you spend in tpa compared to,other highly expensive games?

If that isnt worth it and your gonna quibble over unlocking operator menus just spend 4 grand for the table itself.

I dont mean to sound harsh but from what we get out of this game and the few coins we pay on such expensive devices we shouldnt be anything but grateful

Opinion and suggestion are ok

Yehnhh i lost my train of thought

None of us can pretend we wouldnt spend the entirey of tpas vaule on real pinball in a second.

Just ask yourself are those quotes worth me paying extra if not nobodies gonna think less.

But to put all that extra work in for free and make a living, be realisitic they nevr had to do this...thats the most important thing to remeber.

Ranting

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I bought it for Scared Stiff because I honestly thought they were being sincere.

Then I was lied to by the newsletter and tricked into wasting 3.99 on Medieval Madness Pro.

Fool me once, shame, shame on ... You. Fool me twice... Well we can't get fooled again!

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
What sucks the most isn't that I have to pay extra, it's that if I want to have a serious chase at the leaderboards I have to use the family mode anyway.

Fair point. I think "getting hosed" is a little too harsh, though.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Make them both available at the same time or DLC $1.99 something other than buy one table find out its not complete then buy again because you wear big boy pants! It feels more like a ca$h grab than anything else even though I know thats not the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts