Stern Pinball Arcade available now in the Play Store, early thoughts

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, I agree with you on this call.

I really want to unlock the other tables, but I want to send a message by not purchasing until I can at least play the game on all devices I own.

No cookie.
As soon as it plays on the Shield, I'll be buying the non-tpa tables.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
So, to add to the issue of why this bad marketing monstrosity should never have been a separate "collection" for mobile is made evident when you try it on Steam. But hey, maybe no-one thought about this, as the general consensus seems to be that double dipping is OK if they added a few new "lights" to something for a mobile app.

On mobile when you log in to your Farsight account it makes no effect on what is available in game, however, on Steam logging in will unlock all tables that you own as DLC in TPA. If you have anything as entitlements from FS you're just as screwed as if you are on mobile.

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
So, to add to the issue of why this bad marketing monstrosity should never have been a separate "collection" for mobile is made evident when you try it on Steam. But hey, maybe no-one thought about this, as the general consensus seems to be that double dipping is OK if they added a few new "lights" to something for a mobile app.

On mobile when you log in to your Farsight account it makes no effect on what is available in game, however, on Steam logging in will unlock all tables that you own as DLC in TPA. If you have anything as entitlements from FS you're just as screwed as if you are on mobile.

Have you been able to log in on SPA? Last time I tried it sat there 5 minutes "connecting"

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
One thing I like in SPA over TPA is the pure black backgrounds. Far better looking than the low res backgrounds used on TPA. Now that I said that, it will probably change sometime in the near future just to piss me off.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
uhhhh.......... uninstalled
What a POS? FS, what's the point of releasing something in a state like this?
Portrait-landscape is broken. Game stays in orientation it was started forever.
Onscreen android buttons stay on forever.
Can't change sound volume on tablet as long as the game is active.
It takes forever for a table to start.
UI is...... Wait, what UI?
And worst of all, tables (tried just mustang and frankie) look the same as in TPA. Nothing new when it comes to visual presentation. Or at least nothing that seems like an obvious improvement.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
uhhhh.......... uninstalled
What a POS? FS, what's the point of releasing something in a state like this?

Portrait-landscape is broken.

Game stays in orientation it was started forever.

Onscreen android buttons stay on forever.

Can't change sound volume on tablet as long as the game is active.

It takes forever for a table to start.

UI is...... Wait, what UI?

And worst of all, tables (tried just mustang and frankie) look the same as in TPA.

Nothing new when it comes to visual presentation. Or at least nothing that seems like an obvious improvement.

Everything you say is true for me as well, with the exception of load times, which are longer than TPA, but not intolerable for me.

The big problem perhaps is the lack of user feedback while tables load.

Could be the hardware I'm running, particularly the amount of RAM they have. 3GB is the recommended benchmark for the time being until they can get the game more performant.

If your device is not a 2016 device with 3GB of RAM, you may want to extensively try the Stern demo tables until you pull the trigger.

Apparently.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
RAM is not an issue. Even when the game is running I still can open a few more apps, even FF with a couple of tabs and SPA still runs in the background. It's just that app is some prealpha v,0.000017.
Loading time is not that long, tolerable but still far longer than TPA. Performance is OK once the table starts. OK, ball bounces like crazy on Mustang but MSF is as good (or bad) as it is in TPA. It even looks the same :rolleyes:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Does anybody know the system requirements for SPA on Android? I'm quite surprised to see SPA compatible with my Moto G phone with just 1 GB RAM, but not on a Samsung Tab A.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Since I don't see any difference in visual presentation comparing to TPA I would say that it will run on the same HW. After all, FS is known to support ancient HW far longer then manufacturers. :rolleyes:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Definitely not the case here. My Tab, the Galaxy Note 10.1, is not supported any more.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Since I don't see any difference in visual presentation comparing to TPA I would say that it will run on the same HW. After all, FS is known to support ancient HW far longer then manufacturers. :rolleyes:

I know on iOS you need 1gb ram and must be running iOS 10. So that cut off some devices that TPA still supports. Don't know about Android though. So I can't help on that one.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well it appears to run just fine on my Galaxy Tab S2, which is on Marshmallow. Except for the 4:3 aspect ratio cutting off the tips of the flippers in all the camera modes. Kinda like playing Tommy with the blinders on, but all the time....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
Since I don't see any difference in visual presentation comparing to TPA I would say that it will run on the same HW.

This is incorrect.

I just got myself a cheap 7" tablet for Christmas. On the play store TPA is able to be downloaded (and runs perfectly well) but SPA says "Your device isn't compatible with this version".

Sad news for me, but great news for SPA that Farsight is finally leaving some hardware behind.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
playstore says 4.4. But I had huge performance issues with TPA on my Z2 with lollipop. Worked just fine on 4.4 and again on 6.0.
and considering how f***ed up the whole thing is it shouldn be a surprise if it doesn't run at all on some devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.