Stern Pinball Arcade available now in the Play Store, early thoughts

Mapa

May 16, 2012
I'm sure it's fine on a 16:9 device, but on my 4:3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S, every camera view cuts off the tips of the flippers, at best.

I also find the menus to be very fiddly and difficult to use.

I just logged in to post exactly the same problem, glad it is already noted.

I tried it yesterday on my old G Pad 8.3 and it did not perform very well, decided today to get a new S2 (was due anyway) and was rather disappointed by this. Let's hope they get it fixed soon. And then waiting for Ghostbusters!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I know this has become mostly a bug thread as it's hard to ignore them. But I did want to add my early impression of the newest Stern pins excluding the bugs.
AC/DC - I love this pin in real life. If I could own any modern pin, it would probably be this one. The SPA version is also a A+ for me. Looks and sounds very good for a mobile version. Also manages to do a good job of capturing the play feel of the real thing.
Star Trek - My real life experience with this pin was luke warm. My only experiences were with the release game code. Played it several times and thought, it's just ok. Didn't really have the urge to keep playing it. Now the SPA version is a different story. With the complete code it is a totally different experience for me. I just keep starting another game. The layout was never the problem, but the game seems more alive to me now. The missions are fun, the dots are good. This pin also benefits from good sound and fantastic lighting. Easily the best insert lighting of any mobile pin (imo).
Mustang - For me it's kind of the ugly sister of AC/DC and Star Trek. Not really fair to say that, but it is just a step below those two. Fun layout, good rules, and a wide flipper gap to make it challenging. If I got this pin in TPA, I'd be thrilled with it. Being released with AC/DC and Star Trek does it a disservice. I hope people give it a fair shake.

I won't go into detail on the other SPA release pins. For me they just don't add anything from the TPA versions we already have. They look and play pretty much exactly what we already have.

Well that's my gut reactions to the iOS version. Curious to hear what other think about the look and play.

Edit Note: Sorry I stuck this in the Android thread by accident. Maybe a mod can move it. Or folks can just give me their Android impression. I'm sure all the mobiles look and play about the same.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
We'll leave it here I reckon. "Mobile" seems to be blending into one amorphous blob as far as feature go.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
so finally managed to get it loaded....but keyboard controls arent working and it feels like im a kid 2 foot tall on me tip toes as i can only see the flippers and cant change angle....sidenote still alot of stuttering in new who

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
As I mentioned earlier, the play store has deemed my tablet incompatible. I don't suppose anyone has the apk file so I could side load it? Curiosity is getting the better of me. (I'm not sure if it's a no no to ask for such things, I'll apologize if so)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
As I mentioned earlier, the play store has deemed my tablet incompatible. I don't suppose anyone has the apk file so I could side load it? Curiosity is getting the better of me. (I'm not sure if it's a no no to ask for such things, I'll apologize if so)
You can find the APK by searching for it on Google.

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
You can find the APK by searching for it on Google.
I did find a spot that had it, but for some reason it didn't want to download. Guess I'll take another look.

Update: OK, apk downloaded and installed. All that worked fine. I downloaded the Mustang and Frankenstein tables. Frank plays in slow motion, and Mustang plays slower than that. Curiosity satisfied.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
what tablet do you have? Mustang and MSF performed OK on my Z2. On a side note, SST should be a paid tabel but at some point it was downloaded and I was able to play it. After the game ended I wasn't able to play it again, I was offered to purchase it.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
On my oneplus one, the game plays pretty smoothly (every so often I get a fame of mustang that gets a little laggy, when the phone is doing something In the background). I have only played the free titles so far.

MSF and SST definitely look better in SPA than TPA on my device, both tables have more visual depth and the lighting pops more. Plays the same.

I'm really enjoying Mustang, it has a realistic challenge level which I love, and deep rules.

I'm holding off on purchasing until they fix a few bugs, but I'll be buying everything moving forward.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
I saw an update came down for it yesterday when I turned on my computer. I tried it again, same issue as before. I can wait. I haven't paid any money to them yet, just installed the Free version.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
so.... it does not work on MTK, nvidia and exynos?
It should work on exynos, right? Isn't that the Samsung Galaxy 7 chipset for which the gear VR initial release is supported on?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

AnvilCloud

Jun 25, 2016
Anybody else have the AC/DC table and do not have a working action button? How does that get overlooked? Can't control the third flipper in Starship Troopers either.

And for that matter, what the hell happened to the action buttons in TPA? I don't like being required to reach up and hit the pause button every time I have to launch a ball

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.