Stern Pinball Arcade live on Steam

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Observations:

1) Messy Layout / No options to edit settings on the main page / Navigation around the menus is pretty lousy.
2) DLC doesn't work, it merely goes back to main Steam page when trying to buy it.
3) I own all the tables in TPA and they are all accessible in SPA.
4) Navigation is a headache without a mouse.
5) The video mode isn't right for me (1920x1080). I have to Alt-Enter and cycle it a couple of times to get it to fit correctly. If memory serves the same exact thing happened with TPA in DX11 mode.
6) It doesn't want to save any changes I make. Login doesn't stick, Video modes or settings don't stick.
7) I couldn't enter initials in RBION with a gamepad (or Keyboard), had to use the mouse. Strangely I can enter initials in Frankenstein on Gamepad.

I'm pretty disappointed that I can't play AC/DC or Star Trek tonight (kid is tying up the XBONE) but I'll live. Guess I'll go bake sugar cookies or something. :)

Last edited:

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
The interface surprised me at how awful it is. I was expecting a copy of the PS4 UI and instead got something that looks like it came directly from a phone. Couldn't even select some of the menu options without using the mouse.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Keyboard doesn't work. How did that slip through testing?

I'll like this later when it's fixed, but I gotta say this feels like a cheap attempt to get a title out before the holiday.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
6 positive reviews (with lots of constructive criticism), 12 negative reviews so far in Steam Store.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as the initial reviews tend to make it out to be. Even without the keyboard, I plugged in my Xbox controller and played a few games of Mustang, and I thought it was pretty good. In fact, I've never even given the Mustang table a single thought, but after playing it I'll certainly buy it.

It's got it's problems, and again I'll say it certainly shouldn't have been put out, but was due to X-mas. But it's solid and worth the money when the problems are fixed.

I'm also happy with seeing the licenses being done w/o the kickstarter stuff. Mustang has a ton of popular music in it (AC/DC also of course) so I'm pleased to see this being done. Could it be we could actually see a Metallica someday?

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Installed and tried Mustang unfortunately it's locked at 31fps for me. Uninstalled until my frame rate issues are sorted out on TPA. This seriously should not be sold as a finished product, giving it a early access tag would not only be more honest but cut the devs some slack from the gaming community imo

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Well, it's a fine tradition, isn't it? And who is FarSight that they would break tradtion?

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
developers and testers "It's not ready, too many bugs"

management "It's Christmas - get it out the door, we need the Sales"

Not a great business model based on PR, negative feedback and disgruntled customers.................... but as always we just can't get enough of pinball and will lap it up warts en all :)

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
What sales? You can't even buy extra tables on Steam.. yet, anyway. It's just a "free game"

I did buy extra tables on Xbox One for $20 just to support Farsight though.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
I can't play it. The default setting when I open is to run windowed. I can use the PBAConfig program to see this setting. If I change it to full screen, it will remember for the next launch but it does not use the resolution that is set, but something lower. If you open the utility again, it goes to back to Windowed. The log file in the game folder shows a bunch of errors.. specifically "debug line". Here is what it looks like when I launch the game.
lEwaGNX.jpg

I won't even try to play it like this. I tried uploading screenshots to Steam of the two launches but I don't think you can tell that the aspect ratio and resolutions are wrong from those.

Zappa

Nov 15, 2013
This is the biggest POS buggy nightmare ever. Can't do portrait mode, freezes on startup, gives me a front screen from another table that isn't even on this. Got it to play horizontally, but.....mouse and keyboard? No..Mouse only, no keyboard. Played with controller, but I hate playing with controller.

Graphics are meh....

Why did this abomination ever get released? Terrible, buggy crap.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
It does run more laggy for me than normal TPA DX11, so for mustang to run great, in launch config I have set resolution to 1440x810 and MSAA at 1 but I have nvidia settings to HQ, I think it looks awesome, and runs perfectly smoothly and in 60 fps. If I stream it lags but runs great at 1280x720 and still looks great. But that's just for me of course.

However Frankenstein runs a lot laggier than mustang and in regular pinball arcade it runs perfectly smooth full resolution without a problem so something is definitely making the stern pinball arcade run a lot worse than it should it seems.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
It does run more laggy for me than normal TPA DX11, so for mustang to run great, in launch config I have set resolution to 1440x810 and MSAA at 1 but I have nvidia settings to HQ, I think it looks awesome, and runs perfectly smoothly and in 60 fps. If I stream it lags but runs great at 1280x720 and still looks great. But that's just for me of course.

However Frankenstein runs a lot laggier than mustang and in regular pinball arcade it runs perfectly smooth full resolution without a problem so something is definitely making the stern pinball arcade run a lot worse than it should it seems.

Also, SPA does not support 1920x1080 resolution, only up to 1680x1080 resolution. I know this because when I select 1920x1080, it kicks me back to 1680x1080. That may be why every table looks so freakin' blurry in SPA. And before you ask, I use TPA at 1920x1080 in DX11, and it works just fine on my computer.

Do you have to create a new account in SPA to login? My login for TPA does not work in SPA-in fact it locked me out. This despite logging in successfully in TPA's main website moments earlier.

What would be a FarSight release without bugs? Not a dime from me until these and other items are fixed. I'll stick with TPA. which I have fully supported.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.