Table of the Week Club...week 6: NO GOOD GOFERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Long time no play for me on this table, at 650M. Those sexy see-through ramps will make it somewhat easier probably, especially timing the jackpot ramp. I'll guess I'll have to put on the grind gloves again.... :)

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
It always makes me laugh when I start the hole in one challenge, sounds like Bud screams out for cocaine.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Ah, another one of my faves, I play it all the time. I only need the Super Jackpot to complete my Wizard Goals, they were surprisingly easy (well, apart from the hole-in-whole that I got entirely by accident.)

Is the camera still glitched on Hole in One Challenge in the PC version? Last time the view got stuck on zoom for me.

Last edited:

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
It always makes me laugh when I start the hole in one challenge, sounds like Bud screams out for cocaine.

I think Bud is saying "don't chokey, don't chokey)

Also, these TotW games can help bring bugs to light..... I have three:

The 'forever' kickback - the left outlane gives a kickback, even when it's not lit.
Bud's Lock block - An invisible wall blocking the lock. It happens at least half the time.
The Putt-out hole where EB's are given - a shot from the upper flipper hits what should be the rubber to the left of the putt-out hole disappears and you get the 'putt' instead of rebounding away from the putting hole. It happens all the time.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
yay, got my highest score ever on no good gofers. for some reason because i reinstalled TPA all of my goals are gone. so slowly but surely i'm re-doing all of my goals. but what is sort-of upsetting is that once i completed my standard goals (just now) on no good gofers, i already did some wizard goals (in the same play of ball). but my wizard goals did not register. really frustrating, cause the supper jackpot is quite hard to do. and i also started the rip-off multiball and also activated the cart attack...."sigh" awh well, i just have to start again lol

btw this was my game. pretty pleased with my score :)

DbS7f8.jpg

Sorry to hear you lost all your goals. See http://jaredmorgs.github.io/Pinball_Arcade_Users_Guide_Android/#_understanding_saved_games_in_tpa for the possible reason why.

Also, goals in TPA are nested. Which sucks for the reasons you mentioned.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I ran this for the first time in a long while since I figure I might as well do the TOTW despite it not being a particular favorite of mine. Got up to 5.2B and then something in the ROM broke and lock shots would no longer register, and would in fact effectively freeze the game till attendant or the table would find more balls somewhere, which led to further glitching, so I just ended up draining all my remaining balls. I'm not too sad about this since I was pretty much out of stamina at that point anyway. Table's way too grindy.

Some thoughts and observations:

Prime candidate for nuking extra balls.
Scoring isn't totally terrible but pretty unbalanced.
ROM seems to be somewhat prone to glitching.
The ramp's a really neat feature.
I hate this table and I hate the gophers and I'll bow out till next week.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I ran this for the first time in a long while since I figure I might as well do the TOTW despite it not being a particular favorite of mine. Got up to 5.2B and then something in the ROM broke and lock shots would no longer register, and would in fact effectively freeze the game till attendant or the table would find more balls somewhere, which led to further glitching, so I just ended up draining all my remaining balls. I'm not too sad about this since I was pretty much out of stamina at that point anyway. Table's way too grindy.

Some thoughts and observations:

Prime candidate for nuking extra balls.
Scoring isn't totally terrible but pretty unbalanced.
ROM seems to be somewhat prone to glitching.
The ramp's a really neat feature.
I hate this table and I hate the gophers and I'll bow out till next week.

I have a feeling that NGG was one of the Bally/Williams tables that suffered from incomplete code. It's about the same era as Cactus Canyon, right?

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I have a feeling that NGG was one of the Bally/Williams tables that suffered from incomplete code. It's about the same era as Cactus Canyon, right?

Could be that. It also has an incredible amount of different stuff going on at any one point, so it could just be some rare confluence of modes or things that suddenly makes it **** the bed. Props to the designers anyway that even though the lock feature broke the ROM still managed to at least stay alive so I got a high score posted. When TZ or TNG experience glitches they usually just straight up explode.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
About NGG trying to do too many things at once...

Try to avoid stacking Pop-a-Gofer and Hole-in-One Challenge. Pop-a-Gofer overrides Hole-in-One, which means the Driving Range ramp is NEVER lowered, meaning you cannot make the shot for the Hole-in-One to score the Special! Worse, the timer for Pop-a-Gofer will regularly pause because 4-ball multiball means there is usually a ball doing something that makes the timer pause. Even worse, it appears that even when the Pop-a-Gofer timer runs down, the Driving Range ramp is never lowered.

Million-point Gofer smacking during a 4-ball multiball is not reasonable compensation for missing out on the chance for an EB.

karl

May 10, 2012
I am wondering what it is about me and Golf pins. I have nothing against golf in general (In fact I enjoy it, both in real life and in digital simulations) but NGG and Teed off is far from fun for me. NGG is my least favorite of all the Pat Lawler tables and Tee'd off is even worse. I must have a rodent problem ;)

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I hate golf, but I love NGG. Tee'd Off really can't compare to it, but it's kind of fun.

I need to watch Caddyshack sometime.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Not really, NGG was a year before CC, and also predated Monster Bash which is rock solid as far as anyone knows. CC is really the only one that was left unfinished. Unless you also count Champion Pub's bug with Ultimate Challenge knockouts.

I've seen the lock problem on TPA NGG too, but I actually don't think it's a ROM bug, I think it's TPA's physics getting stuck and failing to trigger the lock switches. Like happens on Black Knight's fantastically buggy lock lane.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I had no idea NGG was such s polarizing table! It has always brought a smile to my face, one if those tables in real life that if I see, I have to play. So hearing what people don't like about it is interesting. When I think about it though, I don't play it much in TPA. I don't know any of the strategies, I just have fun banging on it. Have to see what I think at the end of the week.

I do think with this and BH being in the next tourney, plunging extra balls will be a thing. So you might want to incorporate that into your play.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, and funny enough...so this table came up number 1 in the randomizer. Know what number 2 was? Tee'd Off. It really wanted us to play golf!

masterthes

Apr 12, 2014
Love me some NGG, but that Hole in One challenge. Still cannot get it. My best score so far has been 52.3 mil

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Oh, and funny enough...so this table came up number 1 in the randomizer. Know what number 2 was? Tee'd Off. It really wanted us to play golf!

I far prefer tee'd off to NGG in TPA. There's just something about that table that I like a lot more.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hmmm, so it would seem I've barely played this on Steam as opposed to the PS3, as my high score was only 18 mil. Played one game, killed the standard goals, logged in 52 mil. Wizards don't seem terribly rough, other than Super Jackpot since shooting the hole in one has never been something I can do on command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.