Table Pack #53 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Well, JP and LAH look and feel mostly like mirror images of each other, except that the kicker is in mostly the same location. More than that though, the rules are very similar. I remember JP being more like a TAF ripoff, mirrored. I don't remember the rules having much in common with WWind. I know what you guys are saying, sure, and I remember people saying these things back in the 1990's. I just think LAH and JP may be more similar to each other than either is to TAF, WWind, or especially TZ.

I'm still curious what LAH has that makes it so much better than JP though :). I'd guess that if someone liked one, they'd be a sure shot to like the other. Just guessing of course. I'm ultra-familiar with all of these (thanks to TPA) except JP. Of course I played JP a lot back in the day, and I remember its general feel well, but not so much the rules beyond the modes.

wwpf.jpg

Whirlwind is much, much closer to JP's layout than LAH is. Obviously neither have the T-Rex. IMO, on LAH the location of the bumpers, the additional side scoops, the location and number of drop/standing targets and captive ball, crane, kicker, etc, all adds up to a very different feeling game.

Also, every JP I've played has been a total drain monster, which may be why I have never come around to it.

This. Found this game in a local Pizza shop a few months ago. I'm not great at it, so I'm not sure how deep it is, but from what I can tell it's very underrated.

I love Rollergames, I have a huge softspot for it. It was one of the only tables I had access to for awhile. Great music, awesome sound design. Starting multiball gets you so pumped. Jackpot triggering "Kick Butt!" is always awesome.

It's not a particularly deep games but it's a satisfying one. Some of my favorite callouts in pinball.

Last edited:

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
that is to say in fact Big Hurt is july's table?so now everyone are discussing august's speculation of table pack 53???
@_@

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
弹珠台;245459 said:
that is to say in fact Big Hurt is july's table?so now everyone are discussing august's speculation of table pack 53???
@_@

Eight Ball Deluxe is the odds on favorite to follow Big Hurt. Then most likely Doctor Who, which was promised for September. We are always a month or even two ahead when it comes to release speculation. Just a fun thing to discuss.

My guess after that is Bonzai Run. Not one of my faves, but it's highly requested.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Eight Ball Deluxe is the odds on favorite to follow Big Hurt. Then most likely Doctor Who, which was promised for September. We are always a month or even two ahead when it comes to release speculation. Just a fun thing to discuss.

My guess after that is Bonzai Run. Not one of my faves, but it's highly requested.

Bonzai Run isn't one of my favorites either, but you gotta admit it's a really interesting table. I think it absolutely deserves inclusion for the unique backglass playfield. TPA is supposed to be a museum of pinball. IMO, museums should house the best of the best, of course, but also landmark tables and games with unique or pioneering features. I do get bummed out when we get something mediocre AND forgettable.

Incidentally, I played Hardbodies for the first time yesterday. That was my first encounter with the "flex-save" feature. That was interesting... I'd like to play Dungeons & Dragons now, the Hardbodies theme didn't do much for me.

I also got to spend time with an excellent Swords of Fury and a great Johnny Mnemonic. We absolutely need those two games in TPA.

I'd like to see Blackwater 100 for its interesting layout, too.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
HotHam, you took the words right out of my mouth regarding Bonzai Run. I see it exactly the same way.

I've played Hard Body at some pin shows. That theme is a product of when it was released and has aged very poorly. But I do think the layout is smart and fun to shoot.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Speaking of Banzai Run: One heck of a goal on that table--Rank 1 on the captive ball. Nailing that shot was VERY satisfying.

883F6113A992382244139676FA0CF30ECBCD950B

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Banzai Run belongs in TPA. I understand that it might be difficult to do because of the upper playfield, but if Visual Pinball can do it,then Farsight should be able to.

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016

i heard Bonzai Run has two playfields,yeah i really like those unique tables
:p

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
弹珠台;245526 said:
i heard Bonzai Run has two playfields,yeah i really like those unique tables
:p

Yes, it's very unique design and also pretty uncommon to find. So it would make a good addition.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Banzai Run belongs in TPA. I understand that it might be difficult to do because of the upper playfield, but if Visual Pinball can do it,then Farsight should be able to.

Zen Pinball borrows a lot of ideas and features from real tables.

One of their older tables, Paranormal, took the backglass playfield concept from Banzai Run. I feel like the physics are pretty close and I'm curious to see if Farsight can replicate it in their own engine. It's just a matter of reducing the slope to 0, right?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013

You guys all know that TPA already did a game with a backbox playfield five years ago, right? Cirqus Voltaire.

Also Scared Stiff's spider spin. Banzai Run is completely doable if they want.

(Although it's going to be the next High Speed in the "we got all excited for that??" department.)

invitro

May 4, 2012
You guys all know that TPA already did a game with a backbox playfield five years ago, right? Cirqus Voltaire.

(Although it's going to be the next High Speed in the "we got all excited for that??" department.)
Yes. CV may be more apropos as it has a ball and a player-controlled widget.

My next HS was Judge Dredd. :(

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Banzai Run is completely doable if they want.

I think Farsight did a great job with High Speed.
Am I really the only one ?

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Nope. I still love it. It's just that the ramp is too easy to make.

Besides that, I think HS was very well done, and not just because it was one of the first ones I've played IRL. I've had more than a few TPA tables that, while nicely done, ended up over-rated.
I hope EBD doesn't fall into that category, and that Sharkey's doesn't end up being next. Based on the hint, this is one of the very few FarSight table hints that could absolutely go either way.

But let's go further, just for laughs. The magic eight ball does tell your fortune. And sometimes on this show, contestants "ask again later" to buy a vowel.
It could be Wheel of Fortune.

Top of the line could also mean another Premier/Gottlieb table. After all, they are "top of the line". :p

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yeah, Farsight did High Speed pretty well, although the flippers are overpowered and the ramp is way too easy, but that doesn't kill the game. But I mean that High Speed itself turned out not nearly as exciting in TPA as it was in 1986. You get multiball, shoot the jackpot... and that's all there is to do besides grind the freeway for infinite extra balls.

Banzai Run is like that. The backbox game is interesting to try out, but never gets any better after that. It's as dull as repeating Victory's checkpoints over and over.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Yeah, Farsight did High Speed pretty well, although the flippers are overpowered and the ramp is way too easy, but that doesn't kill the game. But I mean that High Speed itself turned out not nearly as exciting in TPA as it was in 1986. You get multiball, shoot the jackpot... and that's all there is to do besides grind the freeway for infinite extra balls.

Banzai Run is like that. The backbox game is interesting to try out, but never gets any better after that. It's as dull as repeating Victory's checkpoints over and over.
____
Thanks for the info.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014

Well, like most tables, HS is far easier in TPA than IRL. And The Getaway is a better version of the same game. But HS deserved to be in TPA, just like Banazai does, for the reasons I put forth earlier in the thread: TPA is a virtual museum.

I mean, if R911, TX and Big Hurt are in...

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Well, like most tables, HS is far easier in TPA than IRL. And The Getaway is a better version of the same game. But HS deserved to be in TPA, just like Banazai does, for the reasons I put forth earlier in the thread: TPA is a virtual museum.

I mean, if R911, TX and Big Hurt are in...

Although the mission statement indicates that TPA is a virtual museum, it is clearly not. If it were, there would be a much bigger emphasis on the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts