Tee'd Off or No Good Gophers? which is best? let the debate begin.

War Bot

Jul 29, 2015
if there is a debate, I frankly find Tee'd off a way better experience but I have not always been inline with the pulse of the gaming world.

invitro

May 4, 2012
They're both duffers compared to the mighty IRONS AND WOODS!

image-12.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-6.jpg

Look... the flipper buttons finally in their right place! And what other pinball machine lets you win a golf ball, let alone a BRAND NEW one?

image-8.jpg

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
NGG for me but not by much. Gofers just has better sound and animations IMO. But I like the gameplay on both.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
none actually. I mean, I like them both very much. IMO, the only difference (apart from that Premier audio visual style) is that NGG can be fun even if you don't know the rules, just keeping the ball alive is fun and can get you somewhere while on Teed Off without knowing the rules will get you nowhere.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Recent tournament play has given me better insight into Tee'd Off. There's actually a real one near me, in a bowling alley, but it's in not-so-hot condition and feels like it's fixed to the floor with bolts.

So Tee'd Off has grown on me.

NGG is fun in small doses, but it is just way too loud. Everything kicks off something very, very, noisy.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Initially I preferred NGG, but I've come around on Teed Off. That said, they're two of my favorite TPA tables.

War Bot

Jul 29, 2015
Wow that's a beauty, And by sega no less, I really like the very open clean up shot, really reminds me of a golf course. is it a fast pace experience with the easy drop in the middle or is it manageable?

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
I'm amazed this is even a thing. I guess it is just me an my fondness for Lawlor tables but I've really tried to like Teed Off. I really have. It just doesn't come though. I don't like the ruleset, I don't like a few of the shots. I don't like the way it flows (and keep in mind I'm comparing it to a Lawlor table, which aren't great flow wise) NGG all the way.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
I think Teed Off is an uglier table. It looks like someone just threw in whatever toys they happened to have around the shop.

Also, I like the voice work on Buzz and Bud much better than The Gopher Who Has No Name.

They're both pretty fun to play.

Game-to-game held features (e.g. the SKINS and GOPHER tallies) don't work in TPA because of they way they handle the games - unless you play the game many times in succession without exiting to menu - but that's hardly the table's fault. Still, it may be one reason I play Teed Off less than NGG. Also, I love to see how many times I can shoot the ramp in succession right after ball launch in NGG. "Yer makin' me dizzy!"

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'd take Gophers any day. I find it funnier, way more fun, and looks better to boot. Tee'd Off has some interesting things, but agree that ball flow is atrocious on it. And yeah, if you don't know the rules (I barely do), it's hard to get anywhere on it.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
NGG is a lot more slick and polished, and professionally made. But to be honest, I have a lot more fun with Tee'd Off.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I now like both tables after definitely not doing that at first. I don't like golf (as a theme), and I don't like my tables goofy. So then I played the heck out of NGG and I really started to like the flow of that game. Scoring is exponential over the long run, and I definitely mean long run. The big points come from different sources (Hole in One, MB Jackpot Cart Attack, Bonus are the things that come to mind that keep scaling up), as do the EB's, so that's incentive to mix it up a bit in terms of gameplay and keeps it a bit fresh when going multiple hours of playing. Tee'd Off is less flow and more of a one-trick horse: it's all about keeping Lightning Storm MB going for a long time and racking up billions from that scoring mode. To arrive at that MB, you do have to go through the whole course a couple of times and getting good at those shots is also fun and mixes it up a bit. Judging by the leaderboard scores, I would say that NGG gets more playing time in general than NGG. I slightly prefer NGG because of the better flow and funnier (relatively speaking...) sound bites.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Look... the flipper buttons finally in their right place! And what other pinball machine lets you win a golf ball, let alone a BRAND NEW one?

image-8.jpg

Only reason I can think that they did this was to discourage nudging?

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Scoring is exponential over the long run

Nitpick, but this and most similar elements in tables are polynomial (quadratic), not exponential. The total score from things like NGG's escalating multiball jackpots runs as N[SUP]2[/SUP] with the number of jackpots, not 2[SUP]N[/SUP] which would be exponential. Compare 10[SUP]2[/SUP] with 2[SUP]10[/SUP] to see the difference.

One of the few elements in pinball that is exponential is the jackpot in Creature, which permanently doubles every time you collect a super. So its value does run as 2[SUP]N[/SUP], although N is capped at three or four iterations of doubling.

Teed Off actually has an exponential element with repeated Skins doubling, which also yields 2[SUP]N[/SUP]. Although again there's a tight cap on the number of iterations, as you quickly run out of digits on the scoreboard. If it supported arbitrarily high scores without rolling over, Skins doubling would be truly exponential.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Tee'd Off was one of my childhood machines and enjoyed it a bunch. Still enjoy it today.

No Good Gofers I had a blast on at ReplayFX. For it being my first time I thought I did well.

11807696_907758572605424_6122503923662533536_o.jpg

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I'd take Gophers any day. I find it funnier, way more fun, and looks better to boot. Tee'd Off has some interesting things, but agree that ball flow is atrocious on it. And yeah, if you don't know the rules (I barely do), it's hard to get anywhere on it.

All of the above, plus I think NGG sounds so much better as well

Members online

Members online