The Pinball Arcade Is On Its Way To The Windows 8 Marketplace!!!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Wanna hear something funny? Doing a Windows 8 version wasn't FarSight's idea. They were literally getting hounded by Microsoft to see if a Win 8 version would be made. Which is funny considering all the hassles MS has given them with Xbox. Obviously MS needs content for Win 8 platforms.
I'm sure there are legal reasons why they couldn't do this, but I would have held the Windows 8 version hostage in exchange for some assistance/bending of the publishing rules with the 360 version.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Well, congrats on the Windows 8 release, but don't forget about those of us waiting eagerly for the Steam version! Count me as one of many who won't be updating to Windows 8 anytime soon (whats the real point if you aren't using a touch screen device?)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Figured I'd throw something out there as well, but take this with a grain of salt. Everyone has been wondering who FarSight's new publisher is and all signs point to Microsoft Game Studios.

Late last year, FarSight announced that they had found a new publisher and were in the final stages of finalizing the contract...which in my opinion, included terms that FarSight would release The Pinball Arcade on the Windows 8 Marketplace which is why it was announced out of nowhere in my opinion.

Also, FarSight was asked by their new publisher not to announce their partnership just yet which may be a safeguard for Microsoft to pull out of the deal if any of their previously agreed upon terms were not met.

Lastly, FarSight recently stated the following on their latest ST:TNG Kickstarter Update : "We are currently seeking bankruptcy court approval to transfer the game to a different publisher, and we will release Star Trek: The Next Generation on the Xbox 360 as soon as that happens." Release of new content on XBLA immediately after publishing rights have been transferred over to their new publisher without a 4-6 week long approval process could only be made possible by one publisher and one publisher only...Microsoft Game Studios.

Again, this is just my two cents and this post is meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Figured I'd throw something out there as well, but take this with a grain of salt. Everyone has been wondering who FarSight's new publisher is and all signs point to Microsoft Game Studios.

Late last year, FarSight announced that they had found a new publisher and were in the final stages of finalizing the contract...which in my opinion, included terms that FarSight would release The Pinball Arcade on the Windows 8 Marketplace which is why it was announced out of nowhere in my opinion.

Also, FarSight was asked by their new publisher not to announce their partnership just yet which may be a safeguard for Microsoft to pull out of the deal if any of their previously agreed upon terms were not met.

Lastly, FarSight recently stated the following on their latest ST:TNG Kickstarter Update : "We are currently seeking bankruptcy court approval to transfer the game to a different publisher, and we will release Star Trek: The Next Generation on the Xbox 360 as soon as that happens." Release of new content on XBLA immediately after publishing rights have been transferred over to their new publisher without a 4-6 week long approval process could only be made possible by one publisher and one publisher only...Microsoft Game Studios.

Again, this is just my two cents and this post is meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

Well, that doesn't bode well for Steam, then. Microsoft and Valve are basically competitors at this point, I wouldn't be surprised about an exclusivity agreement.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Well, that doesn't bode well for Steam, then. Microsoft and Valve are basically competitors at this point, I wouldn't be surprised about an exclusivity agreement.

Keep in mind that a new version of The Pinball Arcade will be released on XBLA. Assuming that Microsoft Game Studios is the new publisher, the new version of The Pinball Arcade will have a different name and will therefore be exclusive to XBLA (and possibly Windows 8) just like the Pinball FX series is which means The Pinball Arcade can still be released on Steam (hopefully announced tomorrow).

N

Nik Barbour

(whats the real point if you aren't using a touch screen device?)

I've got win8 on a non touchscreen (cheap) laptop, but you can perform most of the touchscreen functionality via the touchpad / mouse. Once you get used to it, its actually OK.

Dont Troll Me

Apr 29, 2012
farsight need to think about how many will have win 8 i know a lot of people that don't want to bother with win 8 for good reason it seems farsight just straight out refuse to back TPA on steam without greenlight vary disappointing, i don't really know how much it costs to put it up without greenlight tho.

it always been the case of good bad good bad with windows many of us will have win 9 or what ever they will call it, most of the reason for it is microsoft keep releasing them too fast and when we see it we go pfff too soon.

i think the main question is will it still be possible on steam or is microsoft gonna pay to horde it on win 8.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I can understand they want to get it out there and win 8 is probably the easy way out for Farsight. I am only hoping desperately that if they do get it out on win 8 they will not sit and do nothing to get it out to all of us that do not want to install Windows 8. To be frank I would rather pay for another console than install windows 8, but I feel this route will force me to do just that, or wait another year to play on steam. It will probably be out on the next gen consoles before steam. Sorry for sounding negative but I was hoping they would choose another platform to get the pc ver out than win 8

I believe it costs like 48$ to upgrade win7 to win8. It's also a rather well received operating system.

farsight need to think about how many will have win 8 i know a lot of people that don't want to bother with win 8 for good reason it seems farsight just straight out refuse to back TPA on steam without greenlight vary disappointing, i don't really know how much it costs to put it up without greenlight tho.

it always been the case of good bad good bad with windows many of us will have win 9 or what ever they will call it, most of the reason for it is microsoft keep releasing them too fast and when we see it we go pfff too soon.

i think the main question is will it still be possible on steam or is microsoft gonna pay to horde it on win 8.

How about ANYONE who buys a new computer from the realease of windows 8 onward.
There are a lot who have already upgraded.

It's a critically well received OS and is quite funtional, with or without touchscreen.
System specs are not that much different from those of windows 7

Face it, it's windows and people are going to have it. They probably won't release the app marketplace for windows 7, it won't matter how much people cry about it. Think DX10 and windows XP...people moaned about that for years and it never saw the light of day (also for tech reasons since XP should have been abandoned long ago).

I actually think it's funny how we all lock ourselves into expensive contracts for the newest cell phones happily but cry about new versions of windows.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well, congrats on the Windows 8 release, but don't forget about those of us waiting eagerly for the Steam version! Count me as one of many who won't be updating to Windows 8 anytime soon (whats the real point if you aren't using a touch screen device?)

I agree. I just upgraded to Windows 8 from XP, and the lack of touch screen was really annoying my enjoyment. Easily solved though, picked up this...

t650-touchpad1.jpg

Logitech T650 and I've all but stopped using my mouse. I no longer feel like I'm fighting with Windows 8, and am slowly learning to take advantage of certain things. Admittedly, having the ability to just use the normal desktop makes it a little too easy to fall back into old habits, but it also feels like a safety net for when I do experiment with the tiles.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I wonder if my pen tablet will function like that. I'm pretty excited to see if that will work the way I want it to.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

I think Apple has them beat on releasing operating systems!

Dont Troll Me

Apr 29, 2012
System specs are not that much different from those of windows 7

I actually think it's funny how we all lock ourselves into expensive contracts for the newest cell phones happily but cry about new versions of windows.

which is why we like our windows 7 just fine. and i don't bother with expensive contracts for the newest cell phones ;)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
which is why we like our windows 7 just fine. and i don't bother with expensive contracts for the newest cell phones ;)

So, you just pay outright for them? Only other option is to hang on to an old handset for years.

You can be happy with Windows 7, but don't realistically expect MS to port their main new OS selling features to an older OS.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
So, you just pay outright for them? Only other option is to hang on to an old handset for years.

You can be happy with Windows 7, but don't realistically expect MS to port their main new OS selling features to an older OS.

Isn't it kind of a bad move though to not put the Windows store app on Win 7 too? I mean you're gonna sell more copies of regular software than you are of operating systems even with new computer purchases in mind. Many will remain with 7 for years to come, I can't understand why they wouldn't want to give their store the widest audience possible. I'm not suggesting they need to go as far back as XP or Vista, but it makes sense to support 7 also.

Still rooting for a Steam release despite all this.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think MS is just really trying to push Win 8. With Surface, their phone, and the desktop, they are doing everything they can to get people to jump on board 'cause that is the only way they are gonna compete with Android and iOS. I'd put money on the next Xbox being virtually identical in look to Win 8, using tiles to navigate. This is a complete image overhaul, so it makes sense to me not putting an app store in Win 7. This is their future, most new computers will be using this OS, probably too much headache to try and make it all work with Win 7.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I think you're right, it's virtually certain that the next Xbox user interface will look and feel exactly like Windows 8.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I'm done with modern consoles, what happened to the days when you put a disc in and played a game? I'm sick of all this social bull**** being shoved down our throats all the time.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm done with modern consoles, what happened to the days when you put a disc in and played a game? I'm sick of all this social bull**** being shoved down our throats all the time.
I agree. I was going to suggest we start up a group called the Antisocial Society for those sick of social networking, but it appears that someone has beat me to it: Anti Social Society

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.