The Pinball Show

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
The Pinball show Youtube like/dislike status.

Episode 1 414 up votes, 90 down votes (2 months) ~11000 views
Episode 2 213 up, 55 down (3 weeks) ~4400 views
Episode 3 119 up, 107 down (7 hours) ~1700 views

but at least the forums got a shout out from Akos.

Episode 3 Update @ 20 hours in - the nays now out rank the yays - 153 up, 155 down

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
And don't forget, they had the cheeky nerve of "hyping" up this episode on the Steam forums!
I mean: https://steamcommunity.com/app/442120/discussions/0/3096760955445941178/

« The third episode of The Pinball Show launches Tomorrow!
The third episode of The Pinball Show launches Tomorrow at 11:30AM PDT / 6:30PM GMT! Check it out as Mel Kirk will be joining us to share exclusive information about Pinball FX! »

What a great idea: let's announce a stream on Steam, so that Steam users can get the news in first hand that we are taking the game somewhere else. :D

Yikes!

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
Yeah, but steam forums are just a sh*tshow, full of weird conspiracy theorists and fake news bug reports!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yep, we do not stand for insulting on a personal level ANY of the game studio's employees. That goes back to when FarSight was king of the roost. You've had your warning.

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
LOL they blame the pandemic for slow releases but they don't socially distance or wear face masks when filming the show.

Which one is it? Is it real and causing you problems or is it fake, therefore no precautions are necessary?

They act like the pandemic is fake, yet use it as an excuse at every turn to avoid accountability.

This is the height of arrogance and irresponsibility.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Even if they give no reason at all for delaying - it’s their business, not yours. They are not accountable to you. Or did you invest money, buy tables which you have not received yet?

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
What a shame. Let’s head to the beach and remember the good old days when Heretic was keeping us amused. Really miss him.

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
The way they hate on real pinball tables is so trashy. What do they think got us interested in pinball video games in the first place?!?

I just want them to keep on doing the stupid stuff they're doing now. I've got my popcorn ready. :D

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
Yes, he IS accountable to me as a paying customer. Without MY money, their "business" doesn't exist.

Where does this "COO" get off telling the customers how to think and how to behave? Is he paying them? No, customers have all of the leverage.

Zen is in for a very rude awakening.

Even if they give no reason at all for delaying - it’s their business, not yours. They are not accountable to you. Or did you invest money, buy tables which you have not received yet?

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
Everything about their "show" is wrong.

The intro music is terrible. The skits are incredibly cringe and stupid. The interviews and interviewers lack any credibility with their forced "that's such a huge improvement!" phony enthusiasm.

The endless announcements of an announcement of an announcement is just pure idiocy. But I'm looking forward to future episodes. They have an amazing propensity for stirring the hornet's nest and pissing off their loyal customers, that's for sure!

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
Crazy huh? It may not be hubris guiding them, but just complete ignorance. The irony of Mel saying he understands they did a poor job with the FX2 to FX3 transition while then going on with how the new Pinball FX roll out will be handled is pure gold.

What I don't get is Zen said their intention for the Pinball show was for there to be a forum for them to communicate directly with the community, but so far, all three episodes have required you to do a deep dive into the subreddit immediately afterward to get clarification.
So I went to the subreddit to try and glean some more info on my main concern with official quotes, and things aren't as rosy as I thought they were a few days ago. Here's what the PFX rep said when asked if we could outright purchase the tables:

RE: Business Model. This is ongoing and in development. The challenge is to get all of our licensing partners on board with what we want to do. We hope to be as player friendly as possible, so far licensors seem ok with what we are proposing. As soon as we we get everything finalized, we'll do a deep dive on how things will be presented in game.

I wonder if that means there is a possibility of some tables being available for purchase, but other tables are only playable through a subscription model. I mean, didn't Stern demand its own separate app from Farsight for The Pinball Arcade (kinda stupid in retrospect)? Maybe they want special treatment again for next-gen PFX, along with some other publishers.

If so, I hope Zen puts a pause on negotiating with them. They can then release all of the secured licensed tables with purchasing prices and have those stragglers wait a year or two before offering to release their stuff. Hopefully that encourages them to come to their senses.

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
So I went to the subreddit to try and glean some more info on my main concern with official quotes, and things aren't as rosy as I thought they were a few days ago. Here's what the PFX rep said when asked if we could outright purchase the tables:

I wonder if that means there is a possibility of some tables being available for purchase, but other tables are only playable through a subscription model. I mean, didn't Stern demand its own separate app from Farsight for The Pinball Arcade (kinda stupid in retrospect)? Maybe they want special treatment again for next-gen PFX, along with some other publishers.

If so, I hope Zen puts a pause on negotiating with them. They can then release all of the secured licensed tables with purchasing prices and have those stragglers wait a year or two before offering to release their stuff. Hopefully that encourages them to come to their senses.

The Stern contract had a few things that required a separate app. One was the funding from Facebook that allowed certain IP to be secured. Another was the plan to have a digital version released in the Stern branded app at the same time as new physical tables were released. To facilitate this, Farsight was going to run the Stern ROM code "natively," and this required a completely different underlying development process and emulation architecture. As we now know, this whole project ended up being a complete failure on Farsight's part. There are further details you can get from various forums and archived Kickstarter data if you are interested.

Dan

Feb 28, 2012
The irony may be that while there are fully functional 50 year old pinball machines, the VR editions will not last 2 years. But of course, the business model is to buy and rebuy the same product.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
New episode up:

https://youtu.be/Fc29xVVPNm0

Main points today were free update to Han Solo table on Star Wars VR, and they showed briefly a Pinball FX (4) table background called Pinball Noir and a new Steampunk Pirate table in development for Pinball FX (4) - competition to name the table

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.