Thoughts on a Tablet please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZForceFFC

Jun 7, 2012
Can someone explain to me what exactly the benefits of "Rooting" the devices are. I've seen lots of places talking about it, but nobody explains exactly why I'd want to do it. That being said, I just bought a Nexus 7 a few weeks ago, and it's actually replaced my PS3 as my main TPA device, because the tables and updates come out much faster, and since I'm looking at it close up, I can see and follow what's going on on the tables a lot better.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Can someone explain to me what exactly the benefits of "Rooting" the devices are. I've seen lots of places talking about it, but nobody explains exactly why I'd want to do it. That being said, I just bought a Nexus 7 a few weeks ago, and it's actually replaced my PS3 as my main TPA device, because the tables and updates come out much faster, and since I'm looking at it close up, I can see and follow what's going on on the tables a lot better.

A lot of people root for no reason, or due to some feeling they should do, then turn around and say "right what can it do now". This is idiotic.
You are wise to be questioning "why?".

If you have no need to root, and most don't, why would you do it?
Unlocking the boot loader wipes your device (all apps and data), rooting invalidates your warranty, and it can damage your device.

I've rooted several devices now and in the past.
On other devices I've done this because I wanted to replace the OS with a newer unsupported version, or fix issues that the device manufacturer would never have addressed.
My N7 I rooted as it is the only way I could use the 'Sixaxis' app and I did it for this reason alone.

Others do it because they want to make tweaks to normally restricted areas of a device, or they want to underclock or overclock their CPU's.
They might also do it so they can use "Titanium Backup", or other root only apps.

Bottom line is - if you have no need to root, or can't think of a reason why you'd want to, then don't.
Just enjoy your device as it is. :)

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
I too have kept my Nexus 7 stock, even though I bought it mainly to play TPA on it. The main reason people around here seem to be into rooting their device is so they can get bluetooth controllers to work, although another benefit is the ability to use the full screen in landscape, recapturing the real estate at the bottom that gets hogged up by the android buttons. Forget about whether your thumbs ever get down that far so it costs you a ball (mine don't because I use touch nudge and keep them high) - a bigger window is a bigger window. So that would be nice. It would also be nice to be able to simply channel every resource in the tablet toward gameplay instead of checking to see if other apps were up to date and other housekeeping tasks. That battery at 14% message in particular is a pain in the rear.

But while users might want a hardcore gamer mode, Google would never provide it or make it easy, because their business model depends on your tablet being in "ready for solicitation" mode. For me though, the compromise to gameplay is slight enough that I'm okay with the status quo.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

I too have kept my Nexus 7 stock, even though I bought it mainly to play TPA on it. The main reason people around here seem to be into rooting their device is so they can get bluetooth controllers to work, although another benefit is the ability to use the full screen in landscape, recapturing the real estate at the bottom that gets hogged up by the android buttons. Forget about whether your thumbs ever get down that far so it costs you a ball (mine don't because I use touch nudge and keep them high) - a bigger window is a bigger window. So that would be nice. It would also be nice to be able to simply channel every resource in the tablet toward gameplay instead of checking to see if other apps were up to date and other housekeeping tasks. That battery at 14% message in particular is a pain in the rear.

But while users might want a hardcore gamer mode, Google would never provide it or make it easy, because their business model depends on your tablet being in "ready for solicitation" mode. For me though, the compromise to gameplay is slight enough that I'm okay with the status quo.

If you hit the soft buttons while playing, you will flail your tablet around helplessly as your ball drains. It's the single biggest reason I rooted mine. I'm still runn8ng the stock os though. Its basically the equivalent to disabking User Account Control in Windows 7, except that the unlocking part wipes your info.

Also if you are a toich nudging user because your previous device didn't handle shake nudging well, go back. The n7 is the best shake nudging I've ever seen.

Martin Rusby

Nov 6, 2012
I am used to playing VP on my laptop.How does TPA compare to that? I do not nudge at all when playing as i find that by the time i've found the nudge button its too late! I take it shake nudging is the way to go on N7? Is touch nudging tapping on the screen somewhere?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I am used to playing VP on my laptop.How does TPA compare to that? I do not nudge at all when playing as i find that by the time i've found the nudge button its too late! I take it shake nudging is the way to go on N7? Is touch nudging tapping on the screen somewhere?

Touch nudging involves touching near the top of the screen.

For vp try my homerow key config

F/J - left and right flipper
G/H - left and right nudge
Space - nudge up
R/U - magna saves
Enter to plunge
Coin and start switches I leave as default

This gives you easy access to all controls in a comfortable layout and your indexes are still used to flip.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
I've tried shake nudging, but the act seems to rip my eyes from the ball, and the next thing I know it's in the drain. So I just keep my thumbs about a third of the way up the tablet and hitch them up over the mid-line to nudge. It works pretty well, and when I blow a nudge opportunity it's because I wait too long staring in disbelief, not because there isn't time to flick my thumb.

Andrew Sully

Oct 2, 2012
ebay, 10.1" tablet, 1 gig ram, mali 400, android 4.04. cost £99 and plays tpa superb with a huge screen and no lag. also plays near all games perfect. no brand name but i buy all my new gadgets from same seller and good. this model has good reviews and is on flEabay and shamazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts