timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
By "90% of the work" what I assume is that because both PCs and XONE share very similar Intel-based architecture, and the XONE runs a Windows-like OS, the core DLLs and integration work required to get DX11 working on PC is already 90% there.

The remaining 10% is going to include:
- Porting the code from the XDK to Windows. There will be tools out there that can do this with a few mouse clicks.
- Getting it to work on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1. XONE runs some kind of Windows 8/8.1-a-like.
- Getting it to work nicely with nVidia GPUs, since the XONE has an AMD GPU.
- Testing.

Some of the above has probably been done, like maybe having a build in place that has hooks into an "empty" DX11 library that is waiting for the "real" one to show up. For all we know the current PC build already has those hooks, they're just invisible because they're not switched on.

Unless there's a serious bug that needs patching right away, FS updates the PC build with every new table release.

I don't expect, then, to see this come along with ES in pack #33.

Given the Christmas break, it might be a stretch to get it done in time for pack #34 in Jan.

Getting it ready for pack #35 - which in all likelihood is going to be TAF - is currently the most realistic projection.
DX11 will never work on xp nor will dx10

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
^^^That is a very good point about XP/W7 users, how will they get all those fancy DX11 implemented lighting effects, when their OS has no DX11 support.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
^^^That is a very good point about XP/W7 users, how will they get all those fancy DX11 implemented lighting effects, when their OS has no DX11 support.

DX11 is supported on Windows 7, and even Vista from what I understand. It's the "." versions that aren't compatible (11.1, 11.2).

Windows XP users, good luck to them for using a 13 year old unsupported OS.

LiquidFreon

Dec 9, 2012
I believe in Mr. Hankey instead. HOWWWWWWWDY HO!

Well HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDY HO! You should be safe then. Just be careful where you step and what you eat.
crap.jpg

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

I have Win 7. I have DX11 games working very well. Civ5 uses DX11 and has done so since, umm, 2010?! So perhaps the question needs to be, why wasn't DX11 in the PC version from the beginning? Let me guess: it was an X360 port and the humble ol' X360 can only handle DX9.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I have Win 7. I have DX11 games working very well. Civ5 uses DX11 and has done so since, umm, 2010?! So perhaps the question needs to be, why wasn't DX11 in the PC version from the beginning? Let me guess: it was an X360 port and the humble ol' X360 can only handle DX9.
The Xbox 360 port was confirmed by FS some pages ago.
Technically the lighting would be possible with dx9 (sort of), with dx11 it is just easier to implement and not as performance hungry.
The thing FS has to do is to make it adjustable for low and high end systems, which may not be easy if you have mostly console experience.

R

Rhandos

The Xbox 360 port was confirmed by FS some pages ago.
Technically the lighting would be possible with dx9 (sort of), with dx11 it is just easier to implement and not as performance hungry.
The thing FS has to do is to make it adjustable for low and high end systems, which may not be easy if you have mostly console experience.
Well, how about low end system: current lightning, high end system: new GI and point lights lightning?

They already said they want to keep the old lightning as an option. I don't really think it's feasible to create new tables in two completely different versions to make the 10 or so XP users happy (remember, it's not just a switch, they have to replace all light sources and use new textures without prerendered lights), but if that's their decision, they might as well use it as the low end option.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Well, how about low end system: current lightning, high end system: new GI and point lights lightning?

They already said they want to keep the old lightning as an option. I don't really think it's feasible to create new tables in two completely different versions to make the 10 or so XP users happy (remember, it's not just a switch, they have to replace all light sources and use new textures without prerendered lights), but if that's their decision, they might as well use it as the low end option.

Having a somewhat low-end PC myself, I'm glad they have used the low-end option. That's the only way I could enjoy TPA now.
360-tried that! 10 tables available. Still have my 360 but nothing on the horizon
PS4-tried that! 28 tables available FarSight still not being clear if any DLC will be released, and hasn't been clear about anything for one year now.
PC-still playing that! 53 tables available, and updated monthly.
If they went high end, I wouldn't be enjoying the full spectrum of TPA.

R

Rhandos

If they went high end, I wouldn't be enjoying the full spectrum of TPA.

Don't get me wrong, I do support having a range of options so everybody can enjoy TPA on PC!

I just find it weird that they chose the route that requires them to build two versions of each table instead of one version that scales with the graphic settings.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
TPA and the alienware alpha are a great duo!

running i3, 4gb ram, etc.

Edit..

With highest settings in 1080p. :)

Last edited:

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
^^Yeah, i am thinking of DX12 that W7 is not getting.

That has not yet been confirmed, that 1 post that went about that was not the truth, but something wrongly said by an AMD guy. Microsoft is still thinking about it, because many people still use windows 7 to game.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
That has not yet been confirmed, that 1 post that went about that was not the truth, but something wrongly said by an AMD guy. Microsoft is still thinking about it, because many people still use windows 7 to game.

Well i would certainly put my money on DX12 having a min requirment of W8 upwards, i doubt MS are going to let the chance of that nice little cash maker, that is DX12, slip through their hands, that is a nice chuck of change if you can get even half or a quarter of users to upgrade to Windows 8/10, i doubt they would throw that chance out the window.

But it is MS, you never know what they are going to do, good or bad. lol

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
From Farsight

"The Pinball Arcade Creating the Xbox version got most of the work done, since the xbox essentially runs directx11 with slight differences, it won't be much longer."

When will we get it.Your guess is as good as mine.
Would be a nice Christmas present that is for sure

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Well i would certainly put my money on DX12 having a min requirment of W8 upwards, i doubt MS are going to let the chance of that nice little cash maker, that is DX12, slip through their hands, that is a nice chuck of change if you can get even half or a quarter of users to upgrade to Windows 8/10, i doubt they would throw that chance out the window.

But it is MS, you never know what they are going to do, good or bad. lol

To judge by their flip-flopping (DLC, Indie publishing rules, "always-connected") they did prior to the release of the Xbox One, sometimes even Microsoft doesn't know what they are going to do, good or bad.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
From Farsight

"The Pinball Arcade Creating the Xbox version got most of the work done, since the xbox essentially runs directx11 with slight differences, it won't be much longer."

When will we get it.Your guess is as good as mine.
Would be a nice Christmas present that is for sure

I check back every month and there is always some announcement like this but nothing ever surfaces. Mark my words you will read this post in 3 months time and there still won't be a DX11 build. I don't want it to be true, but based on the last 3 years it is likely to be the case.

Forget the Ghostbusters crap which I wouldn't go near with a barge poll, and give the 40 real tables an overhaul and many of us will snap up the remaining pro season packs.

Last edited:

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I don't really know much about the current state of TPA on PS4 but I think they only have the polished "new lighting 'DX11' tables", right?
So unless on the PC there will be a way to simultaneously play the "old DX9" versions of tables alongside any finished "DX11" versions of a table they would have to have ALL tables ready for the new tech when they make the switch, which might be part of the reason it takes so long.
After all it would not be cool to roll out the DX11 update and have only a few tables that are actually playable and by that "take away" tables that people have already paid for until they have been updated and become available again.

Last edited:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
The PS4 uses OpenGL, not DirectX. DirectX is a Microsoft thing. If DX11 implementation is like any other game I have played, there is usually an option to use DX11 if your system is capable. I would expect this to eventually be added as an option for the configuration utility before launching the game.

I'm no techie or engineer, so I could be way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts