timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retron

Oct 31, 2013
DX12 is also not going to be supported by any operating system actually out right now so I don't see the point even talking about it at this point.
Windows 10 is a few months away and as it's a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8 it'll see huge adoption once it's out.

A savvy company would be planning DX12 software right now, as it'll be a large potential userbase.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Windows 10 is a few months away and as it's a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8 it'll see huge adoption once it's out.

A savvy company would be planning DX12 software right now, as it'll be a large potential userbase.

That same userbase can still just use DX11... It takes time and resources to implement a new rendering technology into a game and those things cost money. Money for a game that does it's best sales on cellphones. More over, you're reading too much into some of the headlines about DX12 and it's not going to make the game magically run on any toaster with all the bells and whistles. We're seeing DX11 because it was done to bring the game to Xbox One, and so the development costs could be spread around. Since the game will run fine on DX11 on the Xbox One, they aren't going to invest in any resources into DX12 for either platform. A 'savvy company', as you put it, doesn't waste money on things that only present minimal gain at best.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Well one thing is for sure. As soon as dx11 is out, a dx12 thread is right around the corner.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
No there won't. DX11 is only the placeholder for advanced lighting in the PC engine.
The other is only tech talk because everybody is just bored.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
A 'savvy company', as you put it, doesn't waste money on things that only present minimal gain at best.
A double in fps, while using less CPU, doesn't seem a minimal gain at all. I think DX12 might not be what they claim but I do think it will be better then DX11 and it will surely increase performance.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Buying sufficiently powerful hardware I can control, programming a not looking like ten years old engine farsight can control.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Because DX11 was delayed due to Xbox One so upgrading to DX12 might not actually be that difficult once DX11 is working.

Also with the number of dirt-cheap Windows 8 tablets around that are capable of running Steam, if DX12 did improve performance over how DX9 currently performs on low-end Intel SoC then it would be hugely beneficial.

Farsight have already said they can finally implement touch screen controls in DX11 as they do not have to cater to WinXP compatibility, so this makes a ton of sense in broadening their market. It makes the barrier to entry for a superior Pinball Arcade experience that much lower, as the Windows version with post processing off still looks/plays better than the Android version.

That said, I fear they are more likely to go for a Windows Store version on Windows 10 or not at all, which would be annoying as purchases would not transfer over.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Got another update from the King:

"It's probably not making the TAF release, but it'll be ready not long after."

Last edited:

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure we will all express a similar calm and patient expectation with any future DX12 update. Gimme Gimme Gimme!

I'd mockingly declare that TPA won't see another penny from me unless it gets DX13, but considering I've put $130 into TPA on Steam for DX9, it's clear that they're getting my money so long as the game doesn't format my hard drive. :p

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Thank you Jeff. I think we should all be grateful it's almost done despite how long it's taking.

Happy Birthday! The game is three years old this month!

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
They still don't get it. Better promise a later date and surprise us with being early, as the other way round.
But hey, those hopes were annihilated long time ago, so I am too just happy when it finally arrives.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
We're all aware that money is grows faster on mobile, followed by consoles and pc. We all have our opinions as to what priorities and expectations are.

IMO Preserving Pinball = PC is up to date

At the end of last year I put all my focus on getting a PC that can handle dx11. The real question is who is going to have an Android, iOS, xbox/psx device in 30+ years.

There is always a possibility that PC/Steam might disappear some day but would anyone put money on that before the rest? I don't think so, definitely not in our lifetime.

IDK ponder on the deeper questions.

What do you see as value, investments, next 5 year goals for FS?

p6800

May 17, 2013
They have no goal. "Preserving pinball" is like google's "Don't be evil".

The only goal is to have $ for food next month. The unfortune for pinball lovers is that the licensing landed on FS. They are too small and amateurish for this venture. On top of this they have stretched this thing on 100 platforms and all the ports are hack jobs.

dx11 was "just around the corner" over a year ago. Tables get released each month and are full of problems and the whole thing feels like only a piece of thread holds it together.

"hopes were annihilated long time ago" is something echoed by many, even when we know TAF is here in a few weeks and we hear dx11 will get come "2-3 weeks after taf".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.