To PS4 buyers, when are you going to stop buying PS3 packs?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I thought I'd start a little conversation about this and chose to put it here since it's "mostly" about the PS3. I have a PS4 on order and I'd suppose some of you other guys have one either on order or are planning on getting one soon after launch. For those doing so, when are you gonna stop buying new tables for the PS3? While showering the other day this had crossed my mind. I just bought the WW/TCP pack and, I think, it will be my last on the PS3. I'm expecting Flight 2000/Goin' Nuts next week along with T2 in October. I have no interest in the next PS3 pack and I will probably hold off on T2 till the PS4 comes out. With the way things are going, it seems that the Haunted House/Tee'd Off pack will possibly arrive on PS3 in November.

I don't know how backed up the PS4 is going to be with catching up on releases but with the huge amount of launch titles to replay, I'll probably be busy with them. Now, since I also play on ios, I'll continue to buy those releases since they're easily transferrable to a new idevice as long as FarSight doesn't launch a Pinball Arcade 2. What are your thoughts on this? Gonna keep buying them? Gonna hold off on a PS4 for a while? I should just shut up and give them my money? Whatever your thinking.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'll keep buying them for PS3 until they're being released simultaneously on both PS3 and PS4 and there's no point in getting the PS3 version anymore.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I'll keep buying them for PS3 until they're being released simultaneously on both PS3 and PS4 and there's no point in getting the PS3 version anymore.

I'm with you, ER777! I normally get all tables on the first day they release.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I think FS is still learning the PS4 and have finally figured out PS3, that said I am never a day 1 buyer with new consoles if anything the extensive PS3 library should be a bargain. Not owning a PS4 I wont know what Im missing. After all the trials and errors at the end of the PS3 life span Im not confident enough in FS to jump ship at the PS4's infantcey stage. Things that have been mentioned/promissed like 3D cab support would have to be included and de-bugged before I even considered it besides a new and not so attractive spit shine on what I already own.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'm with you, ER777! I normally get all tables on the first day they release.

Same here. Considering this has been pretty much all I've been playing lately there's no way I'm going to stop buying and wait.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I think FS is still learning the PS4 and have finally figured out PS3, that said I am never a day 1 buyer with new consoles if anything the extensive PS3 library should be a bargain. Not owning a PS4 I wont know what Im missing. After all the trials and errors at the end of the PS3 life span Im not confident enough in FS to jump ship at the PS4's infantcey stage. Things that have been mentioned/promissed like 3D cab support would have to be included and de-bugged before I even considered it besides a new and not so attractive spit shine on what I already own.

Hey, don't be such a Negative (Woah) Nellie, you know you want it!

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Im just cautious with my limited $ :) once you drive a NEW ferrari it makes your (insert daily driver here) loose it's COOL FACTOR.
But if I had a PS4 I would stop buying PS3 TPA. and ER you should know Im not only a pessimist IM THE PRESIDENT! :p

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
At the moment, I'm leaning toward stopping after t2 and Going' Nuts but that could easily change.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I was going to skip NUTS+ and it would be my first complete PASS,Ive wittheld my last few purchases based on bug reports...I gotta get some T2 thouhg. In the end the collection just doesnt feel right or it feels empty. Thats why you cant just buy 1!

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I already bought the Season 2 pass, so obviously, I'll be getting all the S2 tables. I find the Season Pass to be by far, the best deal going on these tables. Even when I think "Ahhh, that table doesn't look so cool, I probably won't play it much" I find myself being dead WRONG most of the time. TPA has introduced me to some really cool tables I've never had a chance to play. Being 40, I was already in my 20's when the 90's rolled around and I honestly never cared for many of the DMD games.... I felt like the focus was on a silly dot-matrix screen that distracted you from the real game - that being pinball, not trying to play a 2-button low-res video game. Some tables, I still feel like that. But others, like TOTAN, CV, etc.. use it really well and I have learned an appreciation for certain DMD's.... and that is a direct testament to TPA, I would never have gone out my way to learn or play those tables if they weren't sitting on my PS3. Now truth be told, I'm still a bit of a Williams Sys11 snob, and those are far and away my favorite tables. When I think "Pinball" my brain goes - Pin*Bot, Taxi, Funhouse, Whirlwind, etc... - those are the tables I grew up playing in the mid-80's-early 90's. But ultimately, when you break it down to $1.25 or so per table, even a bum table is pretty easy to bear, and often I am surprised. Big Shot, for example, has quickly become one of my favorite tables of all time - to the point where if I ever find one locally for sale I will buy it in a hearbeat. I used to have a bad anti-EM bias as well, lol. TPA is curing me of my pinball selectiveness and increasing my enjoyment of the game, without a doubt.

As for the original topic (nm the long ramble!) - I will definitely finish out S2 on the PS3. I have no idea if they are planning a S3, if they are I will probably buy it. MUCH of this depends on how FarSight handles the EOL mega-PS3 update they are talking about. If they are able to fix some of the game-killers and obvious art issues, I will have no reservations about continuing to buy PS3 DLC. I honestly don't know how much better games can get than 60fps @ 1080p, when I get right down to it. I have also been burned on every Sony launch console, with the exception of the OG PS1. My phat PS2 - dead and replaced with a PS2 Slim Ed. Two PS3 OG 60 phats - dead and replaced with two 120GB Slims. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy another launch console from Sony again. I have learned my lesson. Wait 8-10 months, they will release a cheaper, slimmer, more power efficient version that will actually last for longer than 12 months. In the meantime, I'll be playing the heck outta TPA. Between the high initial price, weak selection of launch games, and the bugs and growing pains of a new console, I will pass, TYVM.

I also must say, I'm seriously questioning the lighting effects they are using. They are unnatural, and FS's history of lighting issues on the PS3 doesn't exact fill me up with confidence that they'll get it right. If they want to improve lighting for the PS4, how about getting rid of the pink tint and washed out colors for a start??

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I'll be buying all of the PS3 packs for the foreseeable future. My main PS3 will sit next to my PS4 and I will continue to use my PS3. My second PS3 is the one my daughter uses and she'll continue to ride my PSN account for her TPA needs. My plan now is to keep buying all packs for the PS3 for as long as FS continues to publish TPA. I'll buy my favorite packs for the PS4. My third PS3 that serves my smaller 3D TV will continue to run TPA free since Sony only lets me share my PSN account with two PS3 consoles. If all the tables are looking really good on the PS4 I may buy all the packs for the PS4. We'll see.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I had pre-ordered my PS4 and was thinking of getting it on launch day, but with the impending release of Gran Turismo 6, WWE2K14, GTA V and Batman: AO, as well as all the Playstation Plus games I've yet to finish I've decided to cancel it and get it sometime next summer.

I'll definitely be riding out the rest of Season 2 (thanks to my pass) and may well buy certain individual packs until I finally get my PS4. Who knows, if there's some sort of cross compatibility thing sorted (and we'll know this by the time the PS4 launches) I might get the Season 3 pack to keep me going until then.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Im just cautious with my limited $ :) once you drive a NEW ferrari it makes your (insert daily driver here) loose it's COOL FACTOR.
But if I had a PS4 I would stop buying PS3 TPA. and ER you should know Im not only a pessimist IM THE PRESIDENT! :p

Yeah I get where you're coming from, and its perfectly reasonable. I should be smarter about what I spend my money on myself. On the other hand I don't mind being a PS4 test subject, worst case scenario I double-dip for a while (or triple-dip if I get a table here and there for Android). I have a hard time controlling my curiosity about this type of thing.

I'll be buying all of the PS3 packs for the foreseeable future. My main PS3 will sit next to my PS4 and I will continue to use my PS3. My second PS3 is the one my daughter uses and she'll continue to ride my PSN account for her TPA needs. My plan now is to keep buying all packs for the PS3 for as long as FS continues to publish TPA. I'll buy my favorite packs for the PS4. My third PS3 that serves my smaller 3D TV will continue to run TPA free since Sony only lets me share my PSN account with two PS3 consoles. If all the tables are looking really good on the PS4 I may buy all the packs for the PS4. We'll see.

Doesn't it irk you that Sony limited it down to 2 machines per account? I thought 3 would have been a better choice. I know 5 was a bit too much and it caused some game-sharing problems but it seems pretty common for a family to have more than 2 consoles. I would have bought a 3rd PS3 by now for sure (for the bedroom) if I could have my main account on it too, and I don't even have any kids. I guess the problem solves itself when I get a PS4 but that's always bothered me..

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah I get where you're coming from, and its perfectly reasonable. I should be smarter about what I spend my money on myself. On the other hand I don't mind being a PS4 test subject, worst case scenario I double-dip for a while (or triple-dip if I get a table here and there for Android). I have a hard time controlling my curiosity about this type of thing.

Doesn't it irk you that Sony limited it down to 2 machines per account? I thought 3 would have been a better choice. I know 5 was a bit too much and it caused some game-sharing problems but it seems pretty common for a family to have more than 2 consoles. I would have bought a 3rd PS3 by now for sure (for the bedroom) if I could have my main account on it too, and I don't even have any kids. I guess the problem solves itself when I get a PS4 but that's always bothered me..

Yes, it does bother me. What really irks me about it is that I can't continue a game from my main PS3 to the PS3 on the 3D TV. The other thing that I didn't like was having to make up a new PSN name. Fortunately the name we gave our house was available as a PSN name which made it easier. I wish that Sony would let me buy stuff again for my current account for the third PS3. Or buy a third license for my main PSN account.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
They really should have some sort of way to let you prove you own all three machines and allow the same account on all three.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy another launch console from Sony again. I have learned my lesson. Wait 8-10 months, they will release a cheaper, slimmer, more power efficient version that will actually last for longer than 12 months.

Not buying the console at launch is of course wise. But the PS3 "phat" was released in November 2006, with the Slim appearing in September 2009. The PSP Slim also took 2 years, and the Slim version of the Vita has just been announced. So don't wait for the slim version, but do wait for some hardware revisions.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Not buying the console at launch is of course wise. But the PS3 "phat" was released in November 2006, with the Slim appearing in September 2009. The PSP Slim also took 2 years, and the Slim version of the Vita has just been announced. So don't wait for the slim version, but do wait for some hardware revisions.

True. Its the launch models that always have mad issues. The 80gb motorstorm bundle and everything since has been pretty solid. Not so much with the OG 60 GB version... ;)

Vorlon

Oct 1, 2012
True. Its the launch models that always have mad issues. The 80gb motorstorm bundle and everything since has been pretty solid. Not so much with the OG 60 GB version... ;)
My original 60Gb ps3 still works fine, but I don't use it as my main ps3 any more. Regarding this topic, since there will be no more trophies for tpa ps3, I'll be buying future packs for ps4.

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
I'll still buy the packs until I get a PS4. Without further trophy support there would be no point in buying the PS3 version at that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts